Brewer Fanatic

Mark Trumbo: 12.10: LAA discussing 3-team deal with ARZ & CHW? (post #59)

I'm not sold on Morris (and I have a feeling the front office isn't either) as the future but at least he won't cost anything in terms of players or money. If it was my decision to make I would offer Corey a 1 year deal for $5M with incentives and hope he stays healthy enough to be productive and trade. If he declines the offer, I give first to Morris and see what happens.

I would hope that the Brewers would platoon Halton and Morris (Francisco) at 1B. Morris (Francisco) has a pretty big split and this way neither player is feeling too much pressure at the beginning of the season. If one hits a cold streak, they are getting days off anyways and there isn't as much notice. And if one starts outplaying the other one, its easy enough to ease the one guy to more playing time. I think if you did that you could get a combined .750 OPS from the position for min.wage x 2.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the Angels said "here, take Mark Trumbo," I would be fine with that but they are going to want something in return and the reports are pitching and young pitching is what they want. I do not want to give up young pitching for him. I'd prefer to hold out hope of Yo reverting to his old self and getting something more at the deadline than to trade him for Trumbo. That leaves only Lohse and I think he would be too old and too expensive for what they are looking for.

I'm not sold on Morris (and I have a feeling the front office isn't either) as the future but at least he won't cost anything in terms of players or money. If it was my decision to make I would offer Corey a 1 year deal for $5M with incentives and hope he stays healthy enough to be productive and trade. If he declines the offer, I give first to Morris and see what happens.

The Angels seem intent on getting immediate pitching help. Trumbo's worth something, but nobody is going to give up a premier pitcher for him. His value might be in the range of an Estrada/Halton combo, but thats about it. Given the Brewers aren't blessed with a plethora of sure fire replacements for Estrada, I don't think they make that deal nor does it seem that's what the Angels have in mind.

If Morris couldn't crack our line-up last year, with the absolute mess we were running out there at 1B, it feels to me like the organization has no faith in the kid.

If ever there was a time to give him an extended look in the bigs, last season was it.

Might as well trade him too since we think so little of him.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'm not sure the point of pushing him to MLB when he was struggling at his first crack in AAA. Not to mention his struggles in spring training. Although the lack of Sept call-up is perhaps telling.

If he wasn't ready last year doesn't mean he won't ever be ready. Morris isn't a lock to be a great MLBer. He has a low batting average and doesn't walk much. But I think he still has a good chance at being an average 1B.

• 1 month later...
Angels are really looking to move trumbo, played most of 2013 at first base

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Saw one report saying the Angels turned down Skaggs for Trumbo (?!), and another suggesting that Trumbo has been being shopped for month(s) and that there isn't very much interest.

Personally I want nothing to do with a sub-.300 OBP first baseman who is overrated enough to not come cheap. Although, better than Ike Davis I guess.

Latest on Trumbo via MLBTR:

ESPN's Keith Law reports (via Twitter) that the Mark Trumbo talks between the Diamondbacks and Angels have expanded to include the White Sox, with a potential framework sending Adam Eaton to Chicago and Hector Santiago and Tyler Skaggs to the Angels.

Parting with Skaggs and Eaton would be a steep price to pay in order to play Trumbo out of position at a corner outfield spot, but reports have indicated that the D-Backs are "determined" to leave Orlando with either Trumbo or Shin-Soo Choo in tow, and the financial commitment required to add Choo would be significant. Adding Skaggs and Santiago would be a tremendous win for Angels GM Jerry Dipoto, who has been in the market for controllable young starters for months.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

That looks like a really nice deal for the Angels. Skaggs and Santiago are two young lefty arms that a rotation could be built around. Especially considering they only have to give up a Mark Trumbo. Put another way, I wish we had an overrated slugging hitter to deal for Skaggs and Santiago as they would look really nice behind Gallardo, Lohse and Peralta.

That looks like a really nice deal for the Angels. Skaggs and Santiago are two young lefty arms that a rotation could be built around. Especially considering they only have to give up a Mark Trumbo. Put another way, I wish we had an overrated slugging hitter to deal for Skaggs and Santiago as they would look really nice behind Gallardo, Lohse and Peralta.

Dbacks would be getting a prospect with Trumbo

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Wait the Dbacks get rid of Eaton + Skaggs for Trumbo? Wow that's brutal!

And wait, who plays CF for Arizona? Pollock? and then? Or does Towers go out and sign Choo anyway? I guess they have Parra and Ross. Maybe they platoon Parra and Pollock in CF then?

Not a fan of this deal for Arizona. I get sending Skaggs for Trumbo but to add Eaton? I mean that's two top 75 Prospects for 3 years of Trumbo coming off that under .300OB right?

Anaheim has to be thrilled by this deal. 2 younger cost controlled SPs at their disposal. White Sox taking in Eaton? Confusing in that wasn't Avisail Garcia acquired to be that? So they will run an OF of Garcia/Eaton who you wonder if they'll combine for 20HRs between them?

The D-Backs got hosed. They gave up a top prospect and a potential useful major leaguer for a guy who can't play defense (who they will be playing at his worst position) and who can't get on base.

Exactly, and agreed. Is Trumbo some sort of protection for Goldschmidt? The HR potential every AB scare opposing pitchers from walking him? Still defensively he's flawed and the NL West if filled with wide-spanned OFs to expose it.

Trumbo could be flipped...

To the Rays in a package to nab Price.

Otherwise, it doesn't make much sense to me.

Tampa could have just offered any of their other SPs like Archer or Cobb to get Trumbo straight up if they wanted him. If Tampa were to trade for Trumbo I'd believe that Price needs to stay and honestly try winning the WS this season with Price. Trumbo is a piece that compliments a team for a Playoff run. But not a piece to build on, especially when he's going to be expensive to that team after this season.

Wait the Dbacks get rid of Eaton + Skaggs for Trumbo? Wow that's brutal!

And wait, who plays CF for Arizona? Pollock? and then? Or does Towers go out and sign Choo anyway? I guess they have Parra and Ross. Maybe they platoon Parra and Pollock in CF then?

Not a fan of this deal for Arizona. I get sending Skaggs for Trumbo but to add Eaton? I mean that's two top 75 Prospects for 3 years of Trumbo coming off that under .300OB right?

Anaheim has to be thrilled by this deal. 2 younger cost controlled SPs at their disposal. White Sox taking in Eaton? Confusing in that wasn't Avisail Garcia acquired to be that? So they will run an OF of Garcia/Eaton who you wonder if they'll combine for 20HRs between them?

Yeah maybe an OBP under .300, but I heard Trumbo is extra gritty.

I am not sure why because I don't have a rooting interest, but this trade bothers me. It seems like once his intentions are made public, Kevin Towers does whatever he has to get the deal done regardless of perceived fair market value. I don't know, maybe he will look like a genius, but I will be surprised if at least one of Eaton and Skaggs don't go on to become a very good MLB player.

On a sidenote, at least this Twitter Photo of the deal going down in a hotel room at the Winter Meetings is awesome.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Tampa could have just offered any of their other SPs like Archer or Cobb to get Trumbo straight up if they wanted him. If Tampa were to trade for Trumbo I'd believe that Price needs to stay and honestly try winning the WS this season with Price. Trumbo is a piece that compliments a team for a Playoff run. But not a piece to build on, especially when he's going to be expensive to that team after this season.

True, but if they are hell bent on dealing Price, I doubt they decide to move another starting pitcher.

Archived