Brewer Fanatic

What do we still need to address?

RobDeer 45
Ok, I'm sure this has all been talked about in individual threads but I'm curious what our main areas are that still need to be addressed. Football (Packers) season is over so now I'm getting back in to baseball mode. What moves will we possibly see on the horizon? I like how our defense is shaping up, hopefully the bats will be good enough!

I'd bring in one more veteran starting pitcher on a minor league deal for spring training insurance. Somebody like a Rodrigo Lopez, just to throw a name out there. Then it depends on what happens with Braun. If he's suspended, I'd like a RH bat. Brooks Conrad doesn't do it for me. Pat Burrell, Xavier Nady, Marcus Thames, Jonny Gomes, are all still unsigned.

I'd like a power threat off the bench, and most of the names Briggs mentioned would fit that niche.

Kind of weird that after 2011 we are worried about not having enough RH bats in the lineup.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

1. RH insurance in case Gamel and Aoki struggle against LHP.

2. A loogy in the pen to compliment Veras and Loe in the 6th and 7th innings

My dream scenario to end the off season would be signing Mike Gonzalez and one of Derrek Lee or Jeff Keppinger. I'd even be happy with Xavier Nady or Conor Jackson to give some competition to Brooks Conrad.
@WiscoSportsNut

Melvin said yesterday after signing Aoki that he won't sign another OF, so that's out. I think Hart's gonna be the RH option at 1B too. I think a bullpen arm will be added, and maybe an extra IF if they wanna keep Green in AAA.

Does this mean that one of Schafer / Gindl is going to break camp with the team if Braun is suspended? That would be a pretty lefty-heavy OF, and I don't think Hart would see much time at 1B until Braun's back. I guess this means the first thing that needs to be addressed is the Braun situation. I think I remember seeing that a decision would be made by Jan 22-23, so we're close. If he's not suspended, then our OF is set.

Then all that's left is shoring up the bullpen and deciding if Conrad or Green will be the backup 3B. Since we'll have a lot of LH bats, and this is basically the 25th man, I hope Green plays everyday at AAA and is the first call-up if Ramirez or Weeks goes down.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Melvin said yesterday after signing Aoki that he won't sign another OF, so that's out. I think Hart's gonna be the RH option at 1B too. I think a bullpen arm will be added, and maybe an extra IF if they wanna keep Green in AAA.

Does this mean that one of Schafer / Gindl is going to break camp with the team if Braun is suspended? That would be a pretty lefty-heavy OF, and I don't think Hart would see much time at 1B until Braun's back. I guess this means the first thing that needs to be addressed is the Braun situation. I think I remember seeing that a decision would be made by Jan 22-23, so we're close. If he's not suspended, then our OF is set.

Then all that's left is shoring up the bullpen and deciding if Conrad or Green will be the backup 3B. Since we'll have a lot of LH bats, and this is basically the 25th man, I hope Green plays everyday at AAA and is the first call-up if Ramirez or Weeks goes down.

He basically alluded to the fact that Gindl or Schafer would be given the opportunity, so I don't see him adding another OF either way.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I agree that a power bat should be added, someone that can play left when Braun is suspended.

The player to man LF has already been signed in Aoki. My best guess at this point is that CF & LF will manned by the three-man rotation of Aoki/Plush/Gomez during any suspension Braun may have to serve.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Pat Burrell, Xavier Nady, Marcus Thames, Jonny Gomes, are all still unsigned.

Once Braun comes back though you'll be stuck with 6 outfielders (Brau, Hart, Aoki, Gomez, Morgan + whoever you sign). Assuming you go with 12 pitchers and 2 catchers that leaves room for only 5 infielders which probably isn't good enough.

The position I'd like to see addressed is backup infielder, preferably an offensive first player who can play shortstop. I'd rather see Taylor Green in AAA than as the 24th or 25th man on the roster playing once a week. Although I suppose we need to get used to that idea since Ramirez and Weeks aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Maybe Green could even spend some time at first base in Nashville in case Gamel doesn't work out.

If someone like this existed don't you think he would have been signed by now?

I'm not describing a perennial all star here, just someone who is ok offensively and can physically play shortstop when Alex Gonzalez needs a day off. Just looking over the remaining free agents I'm talking about someone like Ryan Theriot. He can play short and second and he hit .271 last season. To me that's more important than finding a 5th (6th once Braun gets back) outfielder.

http://manginphotography.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/8S8H2617-467x575.jpg

Yup.
Double yup. He loves it with the Brewers, and I bet he'd sign a minor league deal again.

Oh, wouldn't that be fun

Brew Crew: Don't Let Me Down

If someone like this existed don't you think he would have been signed by now?

I'm not describing a perennial all star here, just someone who is ok offensively and can physically play shortstop when Alex Gonzalez needs a day off. Just looking over the remaining free agents I'm talking about someone like Ryan Theriot. He can play short and second and he hit .271 last season. To me that's more important than finding a 5th (6th once Braun gets back) outfielder.

They already have Izturis, though, who is better defensively and can play 2B, SS, and 3B.

Unless something unexpected happens, I think the backup SS/2B job is going to Izturis. I expect the backup 3B / RH bat off the bench will be Conrad with Green going to AAA. It's possible we pick up an $800k vet RH corner OF if Braun is suspended, but as PEM mentioned above, that will probably go to Schafer or Gindl, making it all the more likely the RH Conrad will be on the roster. Ramirez won't get many days off, so it's not a problem that his backup is RH. If Ramirez gets hurt, Green would likely be called up to play everyday or platoon with Conrad.

Really I think we're pretty much set other than deciding on Green/Conrad, deciding who will make up the bullpen (possibly picking up a LOOGY), and waiting to see what happens with Braun.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I think they need to evaluate their bullpen candidates for the 6th and 7th innings. When we were on a roll last summer, it seemed like we were set as long as the starters got a lead to Hawkins/Saito, Krod, and Axford. The Brewers would promote relievers based on their ability to provide "length", which they never seemed to need. At times, I wondered if guys like Frankie DeLaCruz and Tim Dillard were even out in the bullpen. During the early part of the season, the pitching will have to carry the team with Braun and Fielder gone, and our stable of former closers is halved from what it was last year.

The 25th spot on the roster usually ends up as a power threat (Bob Hamelin) or backup infielder/pinch runner (Trent Durrington). Personally, I always liked Hamelin's quote, "the game isn't over until the fat man swings".

They already have Izturis, though, who is better defensively and can play 2B, SS, and 3B.

Touche. I forgot about him. He can't hit for squat but at least we have someone who can play shortstop. Let's just hope he doesn't ever have to be our starter for a prolonged period of time.

Archived