Brewer Fanatic

Brewers 40-man roster

djoctagone

re: Green up for an ongoing bench role . . .

If the talent on our bench, as well as those guys' production, improves to the point where Roenicke could use his bench in a manner more like LaRussa did with the Cardinals last year -- where some of the reserves actually rotate in & out some to get more than lousy/sparse playing time -- then Green could prove to be an extremely valuable bench guy.

Given many folks' faith in Roenicke, I realize those are some seemingly rather unlikely assumptions.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem with that is we have entrenched starters. The Cardinals had multiple spots in their lineup that they could rotate players in and out of, and also had quite a few injuries throughout the year. Barring injury, I wouldn't expect a large enough amount of starts to be available anywhere on the field for that type of plan to be even close to possible.

If healthy, the lowest amount of games anyone in our starting lineup would play would be around 140, with most playing more than that. Not including Lucroy of course, and possibly Gamel. But the starts at 1B would be taken by Hart, and Aoki or Morgan/Gomez would start in RF.

The Cardinals basically had an open rotation at 2B and SS for the entire season until Furcal was acquired. Less playing time would've been available also if Holliday weren't injured a few times. If the Brewers had that same situation, there's no reason to believe Roenicke wouldn't manage it like La Russa did, but that's not the case. If Green was up here on the bench, how many starts would he actually get if there weren't injuries? Maybe 10-15 each at 2B and 3B. That's about it unless Gamel struggled. In which case he could be recalled anyway.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Roenicke is quite stubborn, he was the last one to figure out last year that Wil Nieves was really, really terrible.

So I don't expect anything to change until things go way beyond the point of painfully obvious.

I would like to think Green is down solely on the basis of him getting every day AB's, but I don't think it is. I don't think we are heavily invested in him as a starter, I think at this point, Green's likely prospect outlook is as a career backup infielder who has nice pop and can play 2nd and 3rd. I think it's the youth that's keeping him down.

If all they saw him as was a career backup, then he'd be in the majors as a backup. The only reason for him to be in AAA right now is to get regular at-bats. If he's slated to only be a bench player, then he'd just be a bench player and not need the regular at-bats. I still think they wanna keep him ready for down the road, just like they did with Gamel. Just seems almost exactly the same to me.

Green is in AAA if Gamel falters. Ramirez is not long for 3B. If Green hits and Gamel doesn't I expect Green up and Gamel to the bench. If Gindl hits and Gamel doesn't I'd expect Hart to go to 1B (or I think that was the plan until Hart missed most of the spring so didn't get time at 1B). If Gamel hits, Green hits and Gindl hits I expect Hart to be traded in the off season, Gamel moved to RF, Ramirez to 1B and Green to 3B with Gindl getting more time in AAA. Or Gamel might get moved too if they feel he can't handle the OF.

No way Gamel gets moved off 1B if he hits well. They won't make him change positions again. And there's zero chance he gets traded if he hits well. They wouldn't give up a 1B who can hit, and is under control until 2017. Ramirez will also stay at 3B. If Hart hits, there's no way he'll be traded either. In that scenario, everyone stays where they are. Gindl would just stay in AAA another year. And if Hart was traded, then he'd take RF. Green is still the odd man out in that situation. The only way Green gets his opportunity long-term is if Gamel struggles or Weeks or Ramirez is traded. I don't see either of them being traded, so for the near future it's limited to Gamel struggling. Otherwise he'll have to wait out Ramirez's contract.

I actually have no issue with sending green to AAA. Wasn't it just a few years ago everyone was mad about gamel rotting on the bench. I'd rather have green getting consistent at bats in the minors so he's ready to step in when 1 of gamel weeks or aram goes onto the dl which will inevitably happen.

Yep, that's pretty much how I feel. I've been trying to say here that his situation mirrors Gamel's. They clearly don't want history to repeat itself by sticking Green on the bench and having him possibly struggle. The only way he'll see time in the majors is if someone gets hurt, so it's actually regular playing time. He's obviously more ready for that by being in AAA getting regular at-bats than sitting on the bench.

Green should be in AAA. He's had one good year in the last 3. I'm not faulting him, I'm just saying that as a fact, even though it's likely because of injury. Having a young 3b/2b/1b in AAA getting regular at bats is the perfect insurance we have. Conrad is a true bench player, and easily replaceable. The Brewers got the roster right based on the personnel. I just hope they get it right and ease Corey back by putting him on the DL. I'd rather have Aoki/Gomez for 10 games than Hart at 80%.

I just hope they get it right and ease Corey back by putting him on the DL. I'd rather have Aoki/Gomez for 10 games than Hart at 80%.
I would rather have Hart provided he is not going to prolong his recovery time or make things worse. It seems like he is already getting PA. It takes hitters much less time than pitchers to get their timing down and get ready for the season.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

If Hart passes his test today and plays in the major league games going forward, it looks like Ishikawa will be sent down, and our roster will be set.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

If Hart passes his test today and plays in the major league games going forward, it looks like Ishikawa will be sent down, and our roster will be set.

I sure hope this winds up being correct. Never underestimate the power of the dark side.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

My guess is Ishikawa gets dealt (or sold) rather than sent down. I suppose they can release Almonte and free up his AB's for Sean Halton, but I would want Halton playing 1B at Nashville. Morris is ticketed to play 1B at Huntsville and I don't think they'd have Halton repeat anyway.

corey hart passed his test. he's making the opening day roster.

McCalvy's blog post on said announcement

Hart received medical clearance Monday to re-join the Brewers’ big leaguers. He is scheduled for seven innings on Tuesday night, seven more on Wednesday afternoon, and, barring a setback with his surgically-repaired right knee, will be in right field when the Brewers start the regular season on Friday against the Cardinals.

Hart will be four weeks post-op on Tuesday. He had surgery March 6 to repair two cartilage tears in his right knee, and the Brewers predicted a 3-5 week rehabilitation. Using that timeframe, Hart is coming in right on schedule.

“He pushed it,” Roenicke said. “He got out there and got after it with the idea he would like to be ready for Opening Day. He would have been OK if we thought it was better as far as going to Triple-A for a few days, but he’s pretty happy about [breaking camp in the Major Leagues]. Anytime you work hard, you want things to go well, and I think this went well.”

So job well done to Corey & the Brewers' medical staff. Here's hoping he doesn't have any recurrences or setbacks.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Per TH on Twitter just a minute ago:

#Brewers decide to keep 1B Travis Ishikawa and send down INF Brooks Conrad as their final player move of spring.

I'd rather have Green, but I like this far better than keeping Conrad.

This scares the crap out of me. Mainly because it leaves Izturis as the only backup at 2B, SS, and 3B. I'd much rather have Conrad on the roster than move that happen. What also scares me is that the Kotsay comparison Roenicke made in explaining the move. I agree, if this was gonna be the move I'd much rather have Taylor Green. At least he can play 2B and 3B. Ugh. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/146050165.html

This scares the crap out of me. Mainly because it leaves Izturis as the only backup at 2B, SS, and 3B. I'd much rather have Conrad on the roster than move that happen. What also scares me is that the Kotsay comparison Roenicke made in explaining the move. I agree, if this was gonna be the move I'd much rather have Taylor Green. At least he can play 2B and 3B. Ugh. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/146050165.html

That sums it up pretty well.

From the article:

"Manager Ron Roenicke hopes Ishikawa develops into this year's Mark Kotsay, the veteran outfielder who was a favorite of the skipper last season."

So having this year's version of Mark Kotsay is more important than having a backup infielder. This move means that Izturis will get a lot of starts and will be our primary RH bat off the bench when Gomez plays, but hey, at least we can see if Ishikawa can play center field. We'd just better hope Gamel doesn't start off 0-for-8 or we'll see Ishikawa taking over as our starting first baseman.

Conrad wasn't anything special, but at least he filled a position of need. All Ishikawa does is give Roenicke a new toy to misuse, a la Mark Kotsay.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Yeah, I figure this move means we get to see about 5x more Cesar Izturis. Just what we always wanted!

Is it too late to sign Counsell?

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I kinda like the move actually. My first choice would've been Green, but seeing that apparently was out of the question for whatever reason, I'd rather have Ishikawa than Conrad. It sounds like it may be a temporary decision (see how things play out for awhile), plus I feel Ishikawa gives you a much better PH AB than Conrad and gives us a plus defender at 1st for late inning situations. Should this result in Izturis getting too many at bats, I really hope they are smart enough to then bring up Green, Maysonet, or Conrad instead

Archived