Brewer Fanatic

Brewers 40-man roster

djoctagone
  • Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not sure why Schafer and Gindl are both gone when Hart won't be ready for the reason. I guess they're going with Ishikawa then for some reason.

Hart played in a Minor league game today. It's highly probable he will be ready for opening day.

Nope, everything I've read said he'd be ready at April 10 at the earliest.

From everything Melvin has said, they're hoping he's ready for opening day.

Yes, obviously they are hoping he's ready. But everything I've heard makes it sound like missing the first 4 games is best case. There's just not enough time for him to get the at-bats. Roenicke said that he wants him to get enough at-bats, because he felt he rushed him back last year. It's basically, they are figuring he'll miss the first 4 games, and there's an outside chance he'll make Opening Day. I don't see a reason to rush it though. I'd rather see him get the extra 4 days of at-bats.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I'm with PEM. Hart is playing in Minor League games so that they can backdate a DL stint. Sounds like he'll miss the opening series, and maybe the Cubs series if it's cold in Chicago and join the team in Atlanta. If we're enjoying the warm weather we saw through much of March, then Hart will probably make it back for some of the Cubs series.

The good news is that it sounds like he's healthy, and the missed games at the beginning of the season are (a) his bat has to "catch up" to MLB pitching and (b) better safe than sorry with the Cubs series, I'd rather have him miss a couple of early games and stay healthy than go out in bad weather and re-injure himself.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

per this article, ron roenicke says he knows what the team will do if corey hart starts on the disabled list. i found it interesting that he mentioned corey patterson as part of the outfield depth. makes one wonder if the brewers are considering adding patterson to the 40-man and 25-man roster, cutting him when hart returns, and having mark rogers take that vacated spot on the 40-man when his suspension ends.

i can't see why they'd make such a move, but perhaps it's because another player on a minor league deal has an opt-out clause if he's outrighted. players on minor league deals with invitations to big league camps typically have opt-out clauses that take effect at the end of spring training or around early june.

let's suppose brooks conrad has an opt-out clause that allows him to become a free agent by 1 june if he's not on the 25-man roster by then. his contract requires him to play for the brewers' minor league team until 1 june. but let's also suppose that he has an opt-out clause to become a free agent if he's on the 25-man roster, but outrighted before 1 june (i.e. just five days into the season when corey hart returns).

one would think that the brewers would care more about keeping brooks conrad in their system than corey patterson.

per this article, ron roenicke says he knows what the team will do if corey hart starts on the disabled list. i found it interesting that he mentioned corey patterson as part of the outfield depth

Corey Patterson has no place on a mlb roster.

Any manager who thinks he does is Dusty Baker's twin brother from a different mother.....

Pretty sure Schafer will just be recalled if Hart has to start on the DL. There just aren't enough spots left on the 40-man to add an OF on top of the likely adds of Conrad and Izturis. I think the only reason Schafer was sent down to begin with is because all of the at-bats in the ML games will go to Braun, Morgan, Gomez, and Aoki for the rest of ST.

Pretty sure Schafer will just be recalled if Hart has to start on the DL. There just aren't enough spots left on the 40-man to add an OF on top of the likely adds of Conrad and Izturis. I think the only reason Schafer was sent down to begin with is because all of the at-bats in the ML games will go to Braun, Morgan, Gomez, and Aoki for the rest of ST.

I'm not so sure Conrad makes it (actually I hope that is the case). RRR mentioned that Aoki is so good against LHP that he could actually be their "RH" bat off the bench so to speak. Plus, they seem to be taking a long look at Ishikawa, which I like.

I'm not so sure Conrad makes it (actually I hope that is the case). RRR mentioned that Aoki is so good against LHP that he could actually be their "RH" bat off the bench so to speak. Plus, they seem to be taking a long look at Ishikawa, which I like.

Yeah I know he's not a lock. I guess I should say Conrad or a different backup IF. Because I don't see them keeping Green as a bench player. I have the feeling they'll want him in AAA getting consistent at-bats. Basically, both backup IFs will need to be added to the 40-man.

This would mean Izturis gets all the ABs backing up 2B and 3B. That would just be a horrible idea.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Not necessarily. Really all it does is create 2 spots for the backup IFs, and 1 for Rogers. 1 of the backups will be Izturis, the second could be anyone. That being said, I'm sure Maysonet is in the mix or he would've been sent back to minor league camp already. Izturis hasn't exactly lit the world on fire.

Not necessarily. Really all it does is create 2 spots for the backup IFs, and 1 for Rogers. 1 of the backups will be Izturis, the second could be anyone. That being said, I'm sure Maysonet is in the mix or he would've been sent back to minor league camp already. Izturis hasn't exactly lit the world on fire.

I would think Maysonet would take the spot Izturis is contending for. The other spot is between Conrad and Green with the loser taking the 3B job at Nashville that is now open with Wheeler gone.

This would mean Izturis gets all the ABs backing up 2B and 3B. That would just be a horrible idea.

Actually, I am hoping they find someone better than Izturis (whether it be from our system or another...)

Looks like we have an almost set roster now. Green, Braddock, and Maldonado were all optioned to AAA. Leaving the roster at 29 players. Izturis was also informed that he has made the major league roster. That leaves 2 spots left to be decided. One pen spot between Dillard and McClendon, and the last IF spot between Conrad, Maysonet, and Ishikawa. I don't see Maysonet making it though now that Izturis has a spot. I'm guessing it'll be Conrad getting the IF spot, and Dillard getting the bullpen spot.

You didn't think we'd go a year without keeping a really crappy replacement level veteran on the 25 man roster, did you?

I'll pencil in Izturis for about 300 AB's and about 300 instances of Roenicke referring to him as "Izzy".

I agree that Taylor Green deserves a spot on the major league team, but it's obvious what their thought process is here. It's the same as it was with Mat Gamel. They're saying, well he's not gonna get a lot of at-bats in the majors, so we'll send him to AAA so he gets to play every day and continue to develop. Could end up being the same situation. He'll keep bouncing back and forth, getting a limited opportunity whenever he's up. Then he'll either finally get his chance like Gamel, or he'll be traded. It's sad, but true.

Archived