Brewer Fanatic

Brewers 40-man roster

djoctagone

Your numbers are completely off. I have no idea what you're looking at.

vs RHP as LHB .218 .291 .418 .708 in 295 PA (.271 BABIP)

vs LHP as RHB .268 .358 .465 .823 in 81 PA (.400 BABIP)

I really apologize! I was looking at his 2011 splits, not his career splits. Thanks for the correction... the point remains that he is much better vs LHP's than RHP's

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Normally, you'd want Green playing everyday, but with Ramirez soon to be 34, he's going to need some off days and frankly I'm not sold on Brooks Conrad. Hopefully they'll either find a better alternative than Conrad or they'll have to keep Green until they do. I just don's see what Conrad brings to the table other than the ability to strike out at levels only the big time power guys can get away with.

Brooks Conrad = Switch hitting Keith Ginter

I don't think Conrad any kind of special, but he can hit LHP, which we need on the bench more than we need another LH bat. Conrad as the #1 bat vs LHP and Aoki as the #1 bat vs RHP is much better than Izturis or Gomez as the #1 bat vs LHP and Aoki as the #1 bat vs RHP with Green #2 or 3.

If they do plan on giving Weeks and Ramirez a lot of days off, then I'd see additional value in keeping Green on the roster. However, Weeks and Ramirez are both averaging eight figure salaries, so I doubt they're going to give Weeks and Ramirez a lot of days off unless they're injured, at which point Green could be brought up. I'm not really sold on the Ramirez signing anyway, and if he needs a day or two a week off in the first year of the three year deal, then I'm really unhappy about it.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brooks Conrad helped himself today with an opposite field 2 run HR as a lefty off of Chad Billingsley. Yes, it is just a spring training game, and yes Billingsley hung a curveball, and yes the wind was blowing out, but anecdotal evidence shows that Roenicke pays some attention to spring training results, and he already looks for "veteran presence off the bench"
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Brooks Conrad is officially my pick as the 'Guy Who Goes North and Doesn't Last Long'. The Brewers seem to have at least one every year. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking Almonte/Nieves last year, Chris Duffy, Brad Nelson, etc. I think those four combined for about 10 hits during their Brewer careers.

Brooks Conrad is officially my pick as the 'Guy Who Goes North and Doesn't Last Long'. The Brewers seem to have at least one every year. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking Almonte/Nieves last year, Chris Duffy, Brad Nelson, etc. I think those four combined for about 10 hits during their Brewer careers.

Jeremy Reed last year, too.

I think Conrad will actually stick. As compared to some of those other guys, Conrad has some proven MLB effectiveness (in his case hitting vs LHP's) and has experience as a pinch-hitter. Plus the Brewers do need RHB's on the bench...

Green is no longer a young prospect and I am not overly concern about his service time. If he starts playing this year I believe he will be under control until he is 30 or 31. In most cases that is past a players prime. I pray by that time we would have another young upcoming 3B prospect. I have always felt Green would be more of a bench role player in the major. I like him but don't think he will be a big time MLB player. Like I mentioned he could be a Bill Hall type of guy who can start at 3B then 2B the next then 1B the day after that and get 4 maybe 5 starts a week. Would be nice if he could add OF as an option but that is asking quit a bit. If he was still younger like a Peralta or Thornburg who are 22 or even 23....no way I let him play on bench but he is already 25 and needs a big league opportunity. If he performs they will find a way to get him on the field.

I see Green as having every bit the potential of Jeff Cirillo. I hope he can fulfill that potential. And Cirillo wasn't just handed an everyday starting IF job.

I'd like to think, as YoungGeezy said just above, that if he's raking in AAA again, he'll get his chances and eventually earn his PT in Milwaukee. Roenicke knows the quality play & generally quality ABs Green gave the team last Aug/Sept & in Oct in the playoffs. . . . I'm not sure how, but I think Green will earn his keep in MIL before the season's over.

Side note: The year before they both settled in at their "career" positions, does anyone else remember Cirillo getting plenty of PT at 2B while Vina was getting more regular PT at 3B, only to have them both settle in at their "more natural" & respective vice-versa positions the following year?

I was as big of a Green supporter last year as any, but to say he has nothing to prove in AAA is not really fair.

He has less than 500 AB's at AAA. He isn't going to play in the bigs so start him in AAA and let him mash to show he has nothing left to prove.

There are times when the better player stays in AAA and I'd like to see how Green does playing every day as opposed to sporadicly off the bench.

This all changes should there be an injury in the IF.

I'd be careful with the Cirillo comparison. While I think Green could match the offense part of Cirillo's game, Jeff added a lot of value with the glove and Green is just a run of the mill defender. The aforementioned Corey Koskie and Cirillo were much more similar in that regard plus defenders with high OBP and moderate power.

Side note: The year before they both settled in at their "career" positions, does anyone else remember Cirillo getting plenty of PT at 2B while Vina was getting more regular PT at 3B, only to have them both settle in at their "more natural" & respective vice-versa positions the following year?

According to B-R, Cirillo played 2B for 27 games in his first 3 years (94-96). In 94 Vina played 12 games at 3B for the Mets. In 95 he played 2 games at 3B for the Brewers. He did not play 3B again in his career.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I'd be careful with the Cirillo comparison. While I think Green could match the offense part of Cirillo's game, Jeff added a lot of value with the glove and Green is just a run of the mill defender. The aforementioned Corey Koskie and Cirillo were much more similar in that regard plus defenders with high OBP and moderate power.

I should've been more specific. My comparison was meant solely in regards to his hitting prowess. Cirillo came up known as a solid defender w/ a good arm but it took time in the bigs to become known as a top defensive 3B. Cirillo should've won at least one and maybe more Gold Gloves, but at the time he was constantly up against Scott Rolen, who like many Gold Glovers had his otherworldly offense apparently carry over to help boost his defensive renown.

According to B-R, Cirillo played 2B for 27 games in his first 3 years (94-96). In 94 Vina played 12 games at 3B for the Mets. In 95 he played 2 games at 2B for the Brewers. He did not play 3B again in his career.

Well, I must've watched every time he was playing SS & 3B because the memories of him playing the left side of the IF have stuck with me vividly all these years.

Another side note: I remember watching Vina & my buddy getting his autograph when he was a Rule V guy w/ Seattle in spring training of 1993. So I liked it a couple years later when he became a Brewer -- and even better when he developed into a very good one.

Yeah, I'm pulling for McClendon. He's done really well in his time in the majors, and this ST as well. I have a feeling they'll go with Dillard because he has no options left. Although, outrighting Dillard would clear an extra spot for when Rogers needs to be activated. The 2 open spots now will go to the backup IFs most likely.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Maybe we can keep Dillard on the 25 til Marcum is ready and then designate him allowing him slip through to Nashville. I think McClendon makes the staff better and should get the job.

designating dillard at that point would conveniently open up a spot to return mark rogers to the 40-man roster when his suspension ends . . . which would be just a matter of days after marcum would be activated.

Schafer & Gindl optioned to AAA after today's game, per TH on Twitter.

His tweet says 33 guys are left in camp. After Meadows & Butler were returned to minor league camp the other day, the notes said 36 guys were left. How did we get from 36 to 33 by only optioning Schafer & Gindl?

Not sure why Schafer and Gindl are both gone when Hart won't be ready for the reason. I guess they're going with Ishikawa then for some reason.

Hart played in a Minor league game today. It's highly probable he will be ready for opening day.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Not sure why Schafer and Gindl are both gone when Hart won't be ready for the reason. I guess they're going with Ishikawa then for some reason.

Hart played in a Minor league game today. It's highly probable he will be ready for opening day.

Nope, everything I've read said he'd be ready at April 10 at the earliest. Even he said that. And April 13 if it's too cold in Chicago. He would've been ready if he got in games earlier. I'd say more that it's unlikely he'll play Opening Day, but there's still an outside chance. I just saw McCalvy say that Schafer would just be recalled if Hart wasn't ready. They must've just wanted Schafer and Gindl to go to the AAA side to get at-bats.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Schafer & Gindl optioned to AAA after today's game, per TH on Twitter.

His tweet says 33 guys are left in camp. After Meadows & Butler were returned to minor league camp the other day, the notes said 36 guys were left. How did we get from 36 to 33 by only optioning Schafer & Gindl?

I saw somewhere in the last 24 that Phillips was returned to minor league camp so that is the 3rd guy from 36 to 33. Sorry don't recall where I read it though.

Archived