Brewer Fanatic

Brewers 40-man roster

djoctagone
  • Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I could see him winning a starting job in Chicago this season. He was likely our 9-10 option. Nice to be so far above what the Scrubs are right now.

I would love to have a Pirates type beat down on them this season and next before Theo does start to build a future with his adventitious resources.

He has no more chance of making the Cubs rotation than he had making the Brewers. Cubs have rotation numbers: Garza, Dempster, Maholm, Wells, Volstad, Samardja, T. Wood, Rodrigo Lopez. I'm surprised at the timing. Had he been waived at the end of ST when teams were all trying to get down to 25, he wouldn't have been claimed. Sveum and Bosio knew him so they had nothing to lose claiming him. He's a longshot to make their roster. If he does it will be in the pen.

Notice I didn't say immediately, I said this season. I firmly believe they are going to sell high on Garza. Samardja has plenty of work to do to prove he can pitch more than an inning with his control issues, watch for Marmol to struggle to close as well and J eff will be the # 1 internal pitcher to fall into that roll of the future.

That's two out of your list of locks. The rest? Journeyman to say the least.

Dempster, Volstad, Travis wood should stick because of contract or youth in woods case. Other than that 4-5 in their rotation is wide open and if DD pitched for them last year, like I said I could easilly see Frankie winning a spot in that rotation at some point this season.

Fiers has real talent. When I watched him in the Angels game it looked like his delivery wasn't quite the same on his fastball as his change-up. He's got some potential with a little more seasoning under his belt.
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Disagree, Green has outperformed and has had pt at 1b, 2b, and 3b.

Conrad has also played at 1B, 2B, and 3B, is a switch-hitter, and has more experience and success as a pinch-hitter. Green hitting slightly better in ST won't necessarily tip the scales in his favor. Especially knowing Roenicke.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Disagree, Green has outperformed and has had pt at 1b, 2b, and 3b.

Conrad has also played at 1B, 2B, and 3B, is a switch-hitter, and has more experience and success as a pinch-hitter. Green hitting slightly better in ST won't necessarily tip the scales in his favor. Especially knowing Roenicke.

Conrad does have more experience as a PH (155 PA), but he's been awful in that role. .196/.270/.406/.676 in his career.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Although the data size is small, Conrad has shown to be a good hitter against lefthanders.

In the last three years, he has 244 ABs vs righties, and 69 vs lefties.

Against righties he has an OPS of .845 - compared to .728 vs righties.

I really think Green deserves to be on the team, but we are loaded with left handed reserves. You figure Aoki is going to make the team (along with Braun, Gomez, Morgan and Hart). And if Hart misses some time, Schaffer or Gindl probably get the spot for a couple of weeks. That means even more lefties. Kottaras is a lefty. Izturis is a switch hitter - but no one should consider that special. He's a bad hitter - no matter what side of the plate he swings from (over the past three years he as an OPS of .607 vs lefties and .561 vs righties - yikes).

Assuming we go with 13 hitters and 12 pitchers, that means one IF spot left. Conrad's righthanded bat might be what gets him the job. Especially if Hart is on the IR to start the season. This sucks for Green, but it's how things will likely shake out.

Conrad's mechanics are all messed up, he doesn't keep his head down when he swings. Hopefully he'll work out the kinks before opening day because I do think he'll be on the Opening Day roster and be the #1 RH bat off the bench.
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Yeah I can't see any reason to stick with Conrad over Green at this point.

I agree that Green is a better player, but I would rather see Green playing everyday at AAA.

1) Green has long-term value to the franchise, while Conrad does not. If someone's going to "rot on the bench," I'd prefer it not to be a promising prospect who is eating up their valueable pre-arby years.

2) If Ramirez or Weeks goes down, I want Green playing everyday, and he should be more prepared to play every day if he's been getting 4-5 PA's a day at AAA rather than a couple PA's per week on the Brewers' bench.

3) If lefties Green, Kottaras and Aoki are all on the MLB bench, I'd bet Kottaras would be used when we needed a "power" bat, and Aoki would be used when we needed someone to get on base, meaning Green would rarely be used.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I agree that Green should be in AAA. It sucks for him, but I'd be concerned that he could struggle in a bench role like Gamel, and possibly lose some confidence. I'd rather see him playing everyday, and be there in case of injury. He'll be ready when his time comes, much like Gamel.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

So we plan to keep in in AAA for the next 3-4 years? Guy can help a big league team now and add needed depth at 1b, 3b, and 2b. He isn't in the Gamel situation where ARam is gone after the season...(unless traded he is here for 3-4 years). I know there are plenty of Gamel haters here who are positive he will fail (opening the door Green). However, I doubt this will be the case, I have a lot of faith in Gamel and the Crew giving him a LONG leash.

I really like Green but what is going to AAA to hit .340/.900+ with 30+ HRs going to do when his only way to make a career in the big leagues is Casey McGehee style. Come off the bench, make plays, get big hits, and earn a roll. Bill Hall was an everyday starter without a position. Green is versitile with 3 infield positions. It is to bad they have haven't added OF to arsenal.

Overall he is 25, has nothing to prove in AAA, and has no position opening for years to come, has already shown he can be effective off bench, and will get an opportunity to face top pitchers and earn a larger roll with team. From what I have read this ST is he doesnt about his roll, he just wants the opportunity to help team win and play in majors....I think he deserves it and has earned it. Let him battle for more PT and a real strong roll with team

I agree with the notion that there isn't really any point in sending Green back to Nashville. Lots of guys start their MLB careers as bench players, especially those that are not 22 year old phenoms. I doubt that he will rot on the bench anyway....with pinch hitting (especially since he's LH), etc., he will probably play in half the games minimum.

Brooks Conrad might have value when used properly, but unfortunately his sample is too small to know for sure..... He has a career .893 MLB OPS vs LHP's but that is in just 28 plate appearances. In 94 plate appearances he has a .206 batting average and a .659 OPS vs MLB RHP's .... Is there any place that will show his minor league batting splits? (Baseball Reference doesn't)

If those MLB splits continue, what good is it that he can switch hit if he hits like Johnny Estrada vs RHP's?!....

Conrad's AAA stats in 4 different years don't come anywhere close to the .336/.413/.997 numbers that Green put up in AAA last season

I completely agree that Green should be on the MLB roster. Its not as if Aram is going to play 162 games, and Weeks shouldn't either. Starting Conrad as a LHB makes no sense when you give one of those 2 a rest.... in those 35 or so games, that should be Green starting, not Conrad

I completely agree that Green should be on the MLB roster. Its not as if Aram is going to play 162 games, and Weeks shouldn't either.

This nails the entire situation imo. Green, unfortunately, is likely to have plenty of chances at playing time due to the injury concerns with Weeks & Am-Ram.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brooks Conrad might have value when used properly, but unfortunately his sample is too small to know for sure..... He has a career .893 MLB OPS vs LHP's but that is in just 28 plate appearances. In 94 plate appearances he has a .206 batting average and a .659 OPS vs MLB RHP's .... Is there any place that will show his minor league batting splits? (Baseball Reference doesn't)

Your numbers are completely off. I have no idea what you're looking at.

vs RHP as LHB .218 .291 .418 .708 in 295 PA (.271 BABIP)

vs LHP as RHB .268 .358 .465 .823 in 81 PA (.400 BABIP)

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

So we plan to keep in in AAA for the next 3-4 years?

I think Green's opportunity will come when either Weeks or Ramirez (or both) have their annual month-long injury mid-season. At that point, I will rather have a Green who has played everyday in AAA than one who is "rusty." As for the future, if Green proves last year wasn't a fluke, then I'd have no problem shopping either Ramirez or Weeks next offseason to bring in a boatload of young talent and plugging Green in as the everyday 2B or 3B.

I doubt that he will rot on the bench anyway....with pinch hitting (especially since he's LH), etc., he will probably play in half the games minimum.

As far as Green getting plenty of opportunities, he may get some time as backup 2B/3B, but I doubt Weeks or Ramirez will get many days off unless they're injured. That could really lead to less than one start/week. I also doubt he'll get many pinch hit opportunities, as Aoki will be the primary LH bat when OBP is needed, and Kottaras will get the PA's when power is needed. Roenicke used Counsell over Green last year, so he won't hesitate to use Aoki as the primary LH bat off the bench. I wouldn't look for more than a couple of pinch hit opportunities/week for Green.

Meanwhile, our RH sticks are hack-and-slash Gomez and limp noodle Izturis. I'd much prefer Conrad's bat vs LHP paired with Aoki vs RHP off the bench.

Guy can help a big league team now

If it's all about helping the team this year, with no regard to service time, then why not bring up Peralta and Thorberg as middle relievers? I'm sure they're better than some of the guys we'll stick there.

Green is one of our better prospects, and depending on how the dice fall, he could be a big part of our future. I think keeping him playing everyday in AAA will make him better when he's needed everyday at the MLB level this year (due to Weeks/Ramirez injuries) and it will save up his service time so either the Brewers will retain him longer, or he'll have more trade value if we decide to shop him.

Again, I think Green is the better player, but there's no sense wasting his service time in an extremely limited role, when Conrad would probably have a bigger role (as the primary RH bat off the bench) and could fill it adequately.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Normally, you'd want Green playing everyday, but with Ramirez soon to be 34, he's going to need some off days and frankly I'm not sold on Brooks Conrad. Hopefully they'll either find a better alternative than Conrad or they'll have to keep Green until they do. I just don's see what Conrad brings to the table other than the ability to strike out at levels only the big time power guys can get away with.

Brooks Conrad = Switch hitting Keith Ginter

Archived