Brewer Fanatic

Rangers & Fielder....

pingman

WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOU'RE THE RANGERS:

* it seems a given that the Rangers will sign Darvish .....and for a lot of $$$$$$$

* Hamilton will be a free agent after this season (I think???)

....it sounds like it might come down to signing Prince or extending Hamilton....what would you do?

Hamilton is the backbone of that team BUT he's injury prone partly do to the fact that he plays very hard & does reckless things like run into walls & catchers when it's not always necessary....IMHO the modern day Paul Molitor

I wouldn't read much into this. My guess is that Boras pushed hard for some type of substantive meeting with someone to leak to the press. Ryan is already downplaying it.

As for your question, I'd take Fielder in a heartbeat over Hamilton. Hamilton is a lot older, and has a history of reckless off field behavior as well.

Hamilton is a lot older, and has a history of reckless off field behavior as well.
You can't honestly think that the Rangers are concerned that Hamilton is gonna go back to being addicted to heavy drugs do you?

They absolutely should be. I'd be pretty leery of giving $100 million to a guy with his past, with at least one confirmed relapse recently.

Hamilton is a lot older, and has a history of reckless off field behavior as well.
You can't honestly think that the Rangers are concerned that Hamilton is gonna go back to being addicted to heavy drugs do you?

Yea...because no one who was ever addicted to drugs and then got clean, relapsed. If they are not concerned, they should be fired.

Hamilton not only brings the bat, but he is a plus defender in LF, and average defender in CF. Both positions are higher on the defensive spectrum than Fielder. I think Hamilton is clearly the more valuable player. The question than becomes how much more valuable. How many games would he have to miss in order to even things out? I'll leave the answer to that question to the more stat minded members on the forum.

• 3 weeks later...

http://rangersblog.dallas...ers-josh-hamilton-h.html

Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton, recovering from alcohol and drug addictions, had a relapse this week in his quest to remain sober.

According to individuals familiar with the episode, Hamilton drank alcohol on Monday night in an area bar. The circumstances that led to Hamilton's use of alcohol could not be determined.

In a statement, the Rangers said they were ``aware of a situation, but we don't have further comment at this time.''

This was Hamilton's second alcohol-related relapse in just over three years. In January, 2009, he drank to excess in a bar in Tempe, Ariz.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I have no proof but I have a feeling that Hamilton never really stopped drinking. Don't believe him or Favre.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Do you really believe that homer? He's gone through rehab numerous times, so he was clean while those were going on. He also has to pass 3 drug test per week. He attributes his sobriety entirely to God and he even wrote a book about quitting drugs and alcohol called "Beyond Belief". If all that is a lie then it makes Josh Hamilton just about the sleaziest person in the game.

He also fell off the wagon in public during the 2010 season. He's an addict, and that is very real. It's one day at a time.

That's a stupid, asinine cliche.

Just because you slip up one day doesn't mean you're back into a full blown addiction.

Trust me, I'm an addict. Not in the same way, 11 surgeries, including meldal in every bone on the right side of my body(major bone) and cadaver ligaments and grafts) so I've been on OC's for a couple years. I went through hell because I didn't really realize i was an addict, but the fact is I was.

Tell ya what, I go out with my friends, have some drinks, very-very rarely get drunk. MAYBE 2-3 times a year at a wedding, or whatever, but if he's over it, he needs to be careful, but he shouldn't need a babysitter. Especially if he believes in God and that stuff.

And he's more of a team guy, he's more versatile, he's more of a community guy, and who do you think is going to be most likely to give the team he flourished with a discount?

I discount the addition issue 100 pct.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

It's different for every person. Some people have stronger addictions. It's not like I am saying he will go into full-blown addiction, but it's a possibility. I am a recovering alcoholic myself, who quit drinking for four years, and then got to the "I can handle it now" mode, too. Eventually, it devolved back to worse than originally, until I got into a car accident and broke both of my legs among other injuries and was off work for three months. I'm not blaming him or saying he's a bad guy, but I don't see how you can discount it completely. It's part of the man, just like a pitcher who had Tommy John surgery.

They should be at least somewhat concerned. As today's news shows, he could relapse at any time. Maybe it's just a minor slip-up and he'll be okay, but they have to at least think about how much they want to invest in a guy with his history.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Being an alcoholic and getting hooked on painkillers you took for pain are two very different situations.

Favre said he quit drinking.

And as for Hamilton, maybe he hasn't been boozing all the time but I just feel like he's relapsed a lot more than twice.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I really don't think that Hamilton has been drinking all along. I also think that there have been more than two relapses. It's not as big a crisis if the relapses are with alcohol, but if he starts using drugs again, things could go downhill quickly (Was he ever suspended for substance abuse in the MLB? If so, failing a test for 'recreational drugs is a no-no).

I beg your pardon?

I really don't think that Hamilton has been drinking all along. I also think that there have been more than two relapses. It's not as big a crisis if the relapses are with alcohol, but if he starts using drugs again, things could go downhill quickly (Was he ever suspended for substance abuse in the MLB? If so, failing a test for 'recreational drugs is a no-no).

He hasn't been suspended for anything in MLB. MLB only tests for "Drugs of Abuse" if they have a reasonable cause:

If one of the HPAC panel members has evidence that a player has used,

possessed, or sold banned substances in the last 12 months, they call a

conference and discuss the evidence with the other members. If a

majority vote to test the suspected player is reached then testing will

take place no more than 48 hours later.

And, Bikeage: I've had friends and family members who've dealt with addiction, and trust me, you are *always* concerned about relapse.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived