Brewer Fanatic

Who will be this years Yuni or Kotsay?

jjfanec

It seems like every year there are a couple players (sometimes very rightly so) that become the source of venting for brewerfan posters. As I look at this years roster I am struggling to see who is the favorite to become this years Yuni, Kotsay, etc. Here are the guys who I feel like are the favorites to become the least favorite

1. Aramis Ramirez - Former Cub. Injury history. Some view as the guy who is supposed to replace Fielder and whose contract cost us a chance at Fielder.
2. KRod - Tendency to make things too interesting and that could blow up this year. Highly paid. And like Ramirez I think some feel his contract cost us a chance at Fielder
3. Wolf - Had a very good year last year and could slip.

I know this seems like a negative post but it is really just me seeing if we can predict ahead of time who becomes this years Yuni. Last year was pretty easy to predict, this year seems a little harder

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would go with Gonzalez, Gamel, or Narveson.

Gonzalez isn't going to hit, which should be expected by everyone, but he'll also probably make an error or two on a ball that it would take Yuni a car to get to.

Gamel is replacing Fielder. He already seems disliked/distrusted by part of the fanbase on top of that because he didn't hit like a house afire in his previous limited opportunities. He's been hurt before.

Narveson is a pretty standard fifth starter, but the normal fifth starter performance becomes amplified when the overall talent level of the team isn't as high.

Honestly the reason people "vented" about both players was that they sucked. People complained about them (rightfully so) before they even played a game with the Brewers; it wasn't like they weren't known sucky commodities coming in & they just became lightning rods.

This season, the roster lacks a true crap player. The only painful thing is that it should've lacked a true crap player last season too, before Fielder left. I don't have anyone to complain about, but I'll guess 'that guy' winds up being Loe after RRR over- and mis-uses him again in '12.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Honestly the reason people "vented" about both players was that they sucked. People complained about them (rightfully so) before they even played a game with the Brewers; it wasn't like they weren't known sucky commodities coming in & they just became lightning rods.

This season, the roster lacks a true crap player. The only painful thing is that it should've lacked a true crap player last season too, before Fielder left. I don't have anyone to complain about, but I'll guess 'that guy' winds up being Loe after RRR over- and mis-uses him again in '12.

I agree that the venting was because the players weren't good but it did go over the top.

Loe is a good guess. I thought about him but I thought KRod would keep Loe from being put in positions he shouldnt be in in the first place.

You should be right without question, but I get the feeling Loe heads into ST at the 7th Inning Guy™. Whether lefties or righties coming up, Cam is Ron's man!

I sure hope that lesson has been learned, but fear it hasn't.

It's likely to be K-Rod for me. If he's on the roster on opening day, I'm not going to be happy. Way too much money. It's not his fault, but I have a feeling I'll be extra-hard on him because of his contract.

Rational? Probably not, but I know how I'm going to be with him.

Loe is not a good guess.

The people that hated Yuni and Kotsay did it because it was obvious that their defensive metrics and most hitting statistics were horrible before the season. If you look at most stats like WAR, UZR, whatever you want to use, Kotsay and Yuni have checked out horribly the past few years and I think people would have much preferred a replacement level minor leaguer and also would have been fine if Kotsay wasn't placed in positions that if Roenicke looked at these numbers, would realize wouldn't work (CENTER FIELD).

Those same people like Kameron Loe and dislike Ron Roenicke's use of him. Loe is an excellent situational pitcher with a manager that understands splits.

Well, yes, but the question remains 'does RRR understand splits'? Like I said, I don't have a player I hate, so Loe is my guess for the lightning rod the masses will turn against, pitchforks in hand. Average-Brewers-fan-Joe isn't going to care if the reason Loe is getting lit up is that he's being used against big LH bats.

Hoping I'm wrong, but who's the better guess on the roster at this point? Maybe K-Rod just since he's so expensive.

I would guess that if Nyjer regresses, his schtick might draw some ire. I could see Gamel drawing some heat if he doesn't come out of the box hitting. I think Aramis brings big expectations, a prolonged slump is going to draw out the haters in the casual fanbase.

I'm going to go with Gamel. People already seem to hate him and if he struggles as the replacement to Prince, it could get ugly. Personally, Randy Wolf really, really gets to me but thats just me. His numbers are solid but I just don't see it with him.

But as far as a guy on the roster that "sucks" to the degree of Yuni and Kotsay, I really don't see that person. The worst offensive player is likely to be Gonzalez, which is expected. As long as people expect that and he isn't horrid, I don't see a truely crappy player on the current roster.

I actually should have posted this name in my original 3 because he is my number one guess. Ron Roenicke
That's very possible.

Braun is also a wild card if he gets suspended, the team goes something like 20-30 in those 50 games, and he hits like .200 in his first week or two back. Or, possibly more likely, the team plays like .550 ball after he comes back and they miss the playoffs. I could see him being scapegoated if that scenario plays out.

I'm going with a PTBNL. It's gonna be a late addition "grizzled veteran" pickup who'll be given a roster spot in hopes his "grittiness" rubs off on the younger players. Sorry about the sarcastic tinge, but I just have that feeling - no explanation why, just do.

I think the point is you can't become the Kotsay or Betancourt. The reason people didn't like them is they could see before the season that they weren't good but were going to get to play. There will likely be someone who doesn't produce and everyone rides on but that is a different type of thing than those cases were. Aramis is a good bet to get peoples ire early since he is a slow starter and an ex Cub and Brewer killer.

This name has not been mentioned so far, perhaps because the expectations of him aren't that high to begin with.

Carlos Gomez

He's too cocky for the production level, and I'm already on record for saying his shtick has rubbed me raw in the past. He's also been telling anyone who'll listen that he's a power hitter. His time in Milwaukee may not end well.

It doesn't matter the talent level of the team; the manager is almost universally hated no matter what team you root for. For that reason RR makes no sense to be this year Yuni; it is a virtually certainty that many people will hate him no matter what he does.

Gonzalez is a virtual lock to slide into the Yuni role, if you ask me. I really don't think that he's going to be the upgrade that people expect. I can see a lot of arguing about Gamel as well if he doesn't get off to a good start.

On a grander scale, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ramirez and/or K-Rod to take over the Suppan role- not to the Suppan extreme, but I could see one or both getting booed at MP if things aren't going well. Both of those situations are boom or bust if you ask me. If they go bad, they will go very bad.

Nobody will replace Yuni B, simply because no starter on this team will be as bad as him. Gonzalez might hit as poorly as Yuni, but he'll at least field fairly well.

Another Kotsay is possible, but I don't see anybody on the roster that screams "Kotsay". Perhaps a late NRI signing could fill his slowly moving shoes.

Yuni was just the perfect storm of painful baseball, and I don't think we'll see another player like him in the near future.

I think the point is you can't become the Kotsay or Betancourt. The reason people didn't like them is they could see before the season that they weren't good but were going to get to play. There will likely be someone who doesn't produce and everyone rides on but that is a different type of thing than those cases were. Aramis is a good bet to get peoples ire early since he is a slow starter and an ex Cub and Brewer killer.

I think you hit the nail on the head here. People won't like it when players underperform or "suck". But as you stated, with Kotsay and Betancourt, the writing was written on the walls in 100 point font and everyone could see it except Roenicke and Melvin. Very few people wanted Yuni to be the every day SS and almost nobody wanted Kotsay on the roster. Maybe as the 5th OF, but when it became apparent that he was going to get way more playing time than warranted, that's when people got mad. Then when those two played poorly (as every expected), thats when it really got out of hand.

On the current roster, it's hard to find someone that really "sucks" and that virtually nobody wants. Players have their faults and people might underperform, but it won't be to the extent of Yuni and Kotsay. Granted, as some have stated, Melvin will probably add a grizzled veteran at some point yet, and that guy will almost instantly become hated if he gets playing time that really isn't warranted.

I'm going with a PTBNL. It's gonna be a late addition "grizzled veteran" pickup who'll be given a roster spot in hopes his "grittiness" rubs off on the younger players. Sorry about the sarcastic tinge, but I just have that feeling - no explanation why, just do.

This. It will be a veteran we have yet to sign that Roenicke will love and everyone here will hate because he will be taking playing away from a prospect or younger player with more upside.

I could definately see it being Corey Hart if he gets off to a slow start. Maybe Gamel to depending on how he plays. To me it will have a lot to do with who just under performs and RRR's refusal(warranted or not) to play somebody else. For me I guarentee itll be Wolf if he starts slow. I wanna trade Wolf now although I know that won't happen and if he struggles I am going to be frustrated. What about a dark horse candidate like Brooks Conrad if he steals pt from Gamel?

If Gamel doesn't hit it'll be him for sure. There's already lots of people down on him. I'm not one of them, and I'll be backing him from the get-go. But there will be some people who bash him from the beginning, and if he doesn't hit it'll get worse and worse. Also, the PTBNL bet is probably a good one. I could see a crappy veteran being signed to take a roster spot. I don't see Gonzalez taking that much crap, mainly because he's replacing Yuni, and most people will like him just because he's not Yuni. It won't be Loe either. His hate all came when he was setup man, and he won't be with K-Rod here. K-Rod will be good, so not sure why he'd be in the doghouse at any point either.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Archived