Brewer Fanatic

Spring Fever Anyone?!

thumperden
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm pumped about this 2012 team. There's well-founded concern about just how much of 100% of a season they get from the three star offensive players (Weeks, Braun, Ramirez), but this team is well constructed. If or when Weeks and/or Ramirez goes down with an injury, Taylor Green steps in, not Josh Wilson. If there needs to be significant time covered in the outfield, Roenicke & Melvin are choosing from Aoki/Plush/Gomez/Schafer/Gindl, not Mark freaking Kotsay & Erick Almonte.

The pitching staff should still be strong, but I guess what I got excited about is the position players. I'm especially looking forward to Ramirez (well, and Gamel, but pretty sure anyone who reads these forums knows that).

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

the three star offensive players (Weeks, Braun, Ramirez)

Hart contributes as least as much offensively. Especially considering Week's tendency to miss games due to injury.

But I'd agree with the overall statement there. This team has a higher risk than last years, but has the same upside, IMO.

I just spent the last few hours of my day off listening to Bob and Cory's call of NLDS game 5 on the gameday audio archive. Took me right back to Miller Park last October 7. Adding to the crazy: the game time temperature was 78 degrees. SIGH.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I was offered a temporary field biologist position based out of Phoenix today. On my list of pros and cons whether to accept the position, I'll admit that the chance to attend my first ever spring training leads the "pros" list. Hmmmm...

the three star offensive players (Weeks, Braun, Ramirez)

Hart contributes as least as much offensively. Especially considering Week's tendency to miss games due to injury.

But I'd agree with the overall statement there. This team has a higher risk than last years, but has the same upside, IMO.

True, apologies to Corey... I just forgot about him in my excitement I guess.

ESPN's Mark Schoenfield has the Brewers graded out on top for the NL Central - just ahead of the Reds and then the Cards. I'm sure we can quibble with his ratings (and his methods), but I think it's a pretty fair assessment.

http://espn.go.com/blog/s...owdown-position-rankings

He grades the three teams out pretty close race, however. He really liked our rotation. Also cited Miller park as a great place to play. He also liked RRR as well (and took a shot at Dusty Baker's managing skills).

I think that it'll be a dogfight between the Crew, Cards and Reds. The key will be who stays healthy.

Interesting note he pulls out - what OF has hit the 6th most HR in the majors the past two season? The answer: Corey Hart, with 57.

Thanks for posting the roster Invader. It's about this time of the year where I daydream about who's going to make the cut. However, there really aren't many spots available. I guess that's a good thing.

Now that the Super Bowl is over, can spring training start? March Madness is fun for a tide me over, but seriously, let's go spring training!

Interesting note he pulls out - what OF has hit the 6th most HR in the majors the past two season? The answer: Corey Hart, with 57.

I enjoy Corey Hart. Glad he figured out his swing & has been so productive.

I enjoy Corey Hart. Glad he figured out his swing & has been so productive.

I agree. Very underappreciated for what he brings to the team. I don't find him as expendable as a lot of others do. My only gripe with him has been when he has bordeline (imo) whined about not hitting #1 or #2. He's the perfect #5 guy.

The itch is really starting to kick in. I'm right in the middle of Reds country and there is a lot of excitement about their team. It would be great if we were in a race with them the whole year and we didn't hear anything from STL! Man I can't wait for pitchers and catchers to report. I just love the first few videos of the team doing drills, interviews, speculation, it's great!

The itch is really starting to kick in. I'm right in the middle of Reds country and there is a lot of excitement about their team. It would be great if we were in a race with them the whole year and we didn't hear anything from STL! Man I can't wait for pitchers and catchers to report. I just love the first few videos of the team doing drills, interviews, speculation, it's great!
The Reds fans probably feel like Brewer fans did last off season. New ace pitcher. Revamped bullpen. Some nice looking rookies. Plus Pujols and Fielder gone from the division. I think they have a nice team and will be in the race for the division title. I'd be excited too.

I get the distinct feeling the Cardinals are going to fall off this season. My hate for them isn't quite as strong without LaRussa and Pujols so I don't think it is a Cards bias. I just get the feeling they are relying heavily on aging vets (Berkman, Furcal, Beltran, Carpenter) and a guy coming off Tommy John (Wainwright). The real question to me will be can Holliday, Molina and their relatively unproven youth like Freese (save the 2011 playoffs) and Jay set the tone for this team. I am unconvinced. I think this team is going to be a low 80s win team this season as I expect injuries will take their toll on those vets.

I agree that the heart of the Cardinals is gone. Pujols carried that team on his back for the past decade, and in my view, LaRussa and Duncan were the best in the game in their respective roles. They almost always got the best out of what they have. Now, they have an aging lineup.... the odds are low that Berkman will replicate last season, and I've never been a Beltran fan... and a pitching staff with a lot of holes, not to mention that Carpenter is getting old and Wainwright is going to be babied all season. The bullpen was pretty good in the playoffs, but horrible during the regular season.. a lot of the culprits from that are back as well.

All that said, I believe that the Brewers have been gutted a good deal as well. I like the Brewers pitching better and the offenses are probably a wash once Braun is back. In my view, if the Reds succeeded in shoring up their pitching, the Brewers and Cardinals will be fighting it out for second.

The Cards have the talent to win the division, but they have a loooottt of injury risk. I can't see them being fortunate enough this season with health, either, RockCo. One area where the Brewers may actually have the edge over both STL & CIN is durability.

I don't know if this helps with spring fever, or just makes it worse, but Adam McCalvy posted the ST broadcast schedule to his blog. I won't paste the full schedule, but here are some notes from McCalvy:

– Hall of Fame Radio announcer Bob Uecker along with new radio play-by-play announcer Joe Block will call 16 of the spring games on the statewide Brewers Radio Network.

– Brian Anderson and Bill Schroeder will call the three games to be carried by FS Wisconsin: March 6 vs. the A’s, March 20 at the Dodgers and April 4 against the D-backs at Chase Field in downtown Phoenix. Three additional games — March 17 at the Angels, March 30 at the Dodgers and March 31 at the Padres — will be produced by other Fox Sports regions and simulcast on FS Wisconsin.

– Anderson, Schroeder and Block will also team up for 14 Brewers.com webcasts throughout the spring.

Archived