Brewer Fanatic

Brewers claim infielder Jeff Bianchi from Cubs

djoctagone

The Brewers can certainly use SS depth in the minors. I think Izturis will be the Brewers' backup SS, but Bianchi could fight it out with Maysonet for the AAA job.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I can see why he was available as a 24/25 year old who couldn't OPS .700 in AA last year with 500 plate appearances
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

bianchi was added to the royals' 40-man roster following the 2009 season and has one minor league option remaining. great ss depth on the major league roster.

Just because they've got 'depth' it doesn't mean it's quality depth. Having multiple options does not mean they are quality options...the old quantity over quality debate.

I can see why he was available as a 24/25 year old who couldn't OPS .700 in AA last year with 500 plate appearances

Does anyone know why 2010 is missing from his stats? An injury could possibly explain why he hit poorly in 2011.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Fangraphs had him as the Royals #8 prospect following the 2009 season. Sounds like his career has been full of injuries.

Finally healthy, Bianchi showed consistency in ’09 and reached double-A.

In high-A ball, the shortstop hit .300/.360/.427 in 220 at-bats. Moved

up to double-A, Bianchi responded with a triple-slash line of

.315/.356/.441 in 270 at-bats. He also stole 22 bases on the year and

was caught just six times. The 23-year-old infielder strikes out too

much (21.5 K%) for his modest power.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/kansas-city-royals-top-10-prospects/

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

In the 2010 Prospect Handbook, BA stated this about Bianchi, then the Royals #11 prospect:

Bianchi has a tick above-average arm at shortstop and he showed average range thanks to great footwork. He's the surest-handed fielder in the system and has picture-perfect fundamentals [at shortstop and second base].
He's had a slew of injuries, as noted.

When looking at Bianchi's stats from the last few years, you have to remember that he was drafted out of high school. So while he spent a few years in A-ball putting up modest - and OBP poor - numbers, he was pretty young and actually hit .315/.356/.441 in a half-season of AAA as a 22 year old back in '09.

Given that he lost all of last year for development time, he's not in bad shape as far as 25 year olds who have yet to see AAA. He'll get next year to (hopefully) prove he can hit PCL pitching and progress in his plate discipline.

No downside pickup, really. He fills an organizational need and has a pretty decent chance to contribute in Milwaukee.

MNBrew wrote:

There's no downside to the pickup, but as someone who's never seen AAA, the odds of him making it to MIL this year would seem both very long and predicated by multiple position-specific injuries.

Not sure about that. As of now his only competition is Cesar Izturis. I'd rather have Bianchi than Izturis with the knowledge that Izturis is on a minor league deal and Bianchi has an option remaining as well as more upside than Izturis.

MNBrew wrote:

There's no downside to the pickup, but as someone who's never seen AAA, the odds of him making it to MIL this year would seem both very long and predicated by multiple position-specific injuries.

Not sure about that. As of now his only competition is Cesar Izturis. I'd rather have Bianchi than Izturis with the knowledge that Izturis is on a minor league deal and Bianchi has an option remaining as well as more upside than Izturis.
Let him play at AAA. I'm fine with Izturis, who I think will be starting more games than people think. If Gonzalez struggles (which I believe he will) no way they let that contract vest at the 525 plate appearances. Hopefully Bianchi can do what Taylor Green did and show progress 2 years removed from major injury, and then be a factor for 2013.

Let him play at AAA. I'm fine with Izturis, who I think will be starting more games than people think. If Gonzalez struggles (which I believe he will) no way they let that contract vest at the 525 plate appearances. Hopefully Bianchi can do what Taylor Green did and show progress 2 years removed from major injury, and then be a factor for 2013.

Gonzalez may struggle, but the Brewers didn't sign him for his bat. They signed him for his glove. That's going to keep him in the lineup more than anything. And he'll be more tolerable batting in the bottom of the order. I'm willing to guess that most will be ok with that, especially since we don't have a SS prospect on the horizon to replace him.
Follow me on Twitter

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Is he worth a 40-man roster spot though?

Yes. Because even after claiming him, we still have one extra spot open. If it gets to the point where the 40-man is full and you need an extra spot, you always have the option of waiving him, exactly like the Cubs just did.

I think they'd take Farris off the 40 before Bianchi.

Eric is a AAA 2B, and not a really good one offensively.

It would depend on whether they are making room for a pitcher, or an everyday player. I can't imagine Zelous Wheeler would be any more secure than Farris. Farris wasn't awful offensively but a big part of his game is running, and he was coming off a leg injury the year before that limited that part of his game.. He could bounce back this year.

Archived