Brewer Fanatic

Ryan Madson to Reds 1/$8.5m

jjkoestler

Even 3/$25 would have been nothing to sneeze at. Now he is forced to risk everything on how he pitches this year. I really don't see how you can absolve Boras for blame in this situation

This is similar to some of the heat TheCrew07 takes in Melvin discussions -- you can't possibly claim to know what deals were or weren't out there. The only team that signed a reliever to a long-term deal this offseason was the Phillies (Papelbon), after reports had leaked out that they'd agreed in principle on a deal with Madson.

So for me it's the flip side of the coin, I don't see where you find fault with Boras (or Madson). I get that you take joy in Boras's 'pain', but going beyond that I don't see where he's to blame.

f you take out the $15M or so he made in 2011, that leaves around 4 years / $85M, or around $21M per year. It will be interesting to see how the contract he gets compares to that.

That's an interesting point, monty. Plus the Brewers were rumored to have made another offer to Prince this season, probably something similar to that 5/$100M offer. I still think he comfortably gets more than that.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

This is similar to some of the heat TheCrew07 takes in Melvin discussions -- you can't possibly claim to know what deals were or weren't out there.

I cannot. However the timing of the way things went down suggests that the Phillies were in substantive talks with Boras on Madson on a multi year deal before they pursued Papelbon. If the Phillies truly targeted Papelbon from the start, why did they waste their time on Madson?

Here's what the rumor was at the time:
after amaro agreed to $44M, 4-yr madson deal, amaro said he'd have to get montgomery's OK, source said. still waiting.
"Montgomery" being team CEO David Montgomery

You can speculate that Boras did something there, but you can just as easily speculate that a GM had a team executive go over his head on a signing... much like when Brian Cashman had a deal in place with Vlad Guerrero, only to be superseded by The Boss's signing of Gary Sheffield over dinner one night.

Or you can be right...

"We never rejected any offer from Philadelphia at four years and $44 million. We advised Philadelphia that we would agree to such a proposal. And Philadelphia decided upon hearing that to go in a different direction."

MLBTR fills in the gaps in this story, much to RockCo's delight. My crow is tasty.

For all you Boras backers on here, again I will say this, he totally blew the contract for Madson, if he advised Pena not to accept arbitration that's strike 2 and Prince's contract will probably be strike 3. This guy has run things for to long, time for players to move away from this guy. He has not helped his clients lately IMO. Oh yeah Edwin Jackson will probably be strike 4.

I'm not a Boras backer, I'm just not someone who goes out of his way to hate him.

Boras doesn't have anything to do with Oswalt still not having an offer. Reyes, Pujols & Wilson are really the only top guys to sign so far (not counting Darvish yet). Once Darvish signs, I think Oswalt & Jackson will be next.

Jon Heyman is definitely one of those Boras media plants that I mentioned earlier. If you watch any of his segments on MLB Network, the "tidbits" he has are almost always for Boras clients.

I'm not a Boras backer per se, I'm a backer of the players getting all the money they can. If it's not Boras, there will be some other evil agent for people to point to as the scourge of the game. Arn Tellem, most likely.

Archived