Brewer Fanatic

Ryan Madson to Reds 1/$8.5m

jjkoestler

1 year for a closer is almost never a bad deal, even if it is $10M.
How about $14M for a setup man? It will be interesting to follow the effectiveness of Madson and K-Rod this year.
Madsen's deal will be used by Brewers to make a case for lower arby award for K-Rod. No way he gets anywhere near $14 million. My guess is the Brewers will offer around $10.5-$11 million.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Nice move for the Reds, yes, for Boras/Madson, they wind up looking pretty silly for turning down the Phillies offer.

Did Madson turn down the Phils? Initially the reports were that he had agreed to a 4 year/$44 million, but higher ups in the phils org said no. Anyone know what really happened?

No matter, it's a big come down for Madson. He really needed to land a closer's job if he expects to try for a big payday next year.

Well whatever happened, he went from 4/44 to 1/8, that's a pretty significant dropoff. Sure, he could perform great and windup with a big payday next year. But he could also suck or get hurt and never see anything close to 44 million.

Well whatever happened, he went from 4/44 to 1/8, that's a pretty significant dropoff.

This certainly should knock Boras down a peg. I hope that other players look at this and think that maybe taking an extension in pre-arby/arby years is better than holding out for free agency. That'd help the Brewers out going forward.

As others have said, this is a very good move for the Reds. They should be much improved this season.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The market of teams looking to spend way too much for a reliever on a long term deal was essentially just the Phillies and the Marlins. I really don't believe he turned down that offer from the Phils, like reilly said. Now, it's certainly possible that Boras floated that number out to the reporter that ran with it (he certainly has several allies in the media), but I don't think that it was a legit offer.

It looks like he got even less than the initial reports. ~$1 million more than Joe Nathan. My guess is that he could have gotten a lot more, but he and Boras were way too greedy when talking with teams back in November/December. Prince and the boys have got to be squirming right now.

It looks like he got even less than the initial reports. ~$1 million more than Joe Nathan. My guess is that he could have gotten a lot more, but he and Boras were way too greedy when talking with teams back in November/December. Prince and the boys have got to be squirming right now.
I understand where you're coming from regarding your hatred for Boras, but Prince Fielder does not equal Ryan Madson.

Or the Phillies decided to go with Papelbon, who signed a bigger deal than the one that was rumored to be agreed upon by Madson & the Phils.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Right. I'm sure Madson/Boras didn't enter into contract talks with any other teams beside the Phillies and now the Reds. I couldn't imagine them turning anyone off with 'unrealistic expectations'.

I'm eagerly awaiting the day where Carlos Pena becomes 2012's Jody Reed. Madson's deal is going to look like a big score compared to what Carlos is going to get.

Your hatred for Boras is a bit much. The contracts for relievers weren't out there (for the most part) this offseason, & Madson appears to have been screwed over by his own former team, basically the only team that felt comfortable inking a large contract for a RP. How Boras factors into that... I fail to see.

You seem to have a list: Boras, Theo Epstein, Mike Cameron... maybe more... and when those names are mentioned, you post about how you hate them. I don't get it.

When the commissioner gets paid $22 million a year, the game makes more money than ever, they bleed taxpayers for stadium money, etc., I am all about every single player trying to get every single red cent they can get their hands on. In turn, I can't hate Boras for helping to make that happen and especially can't fault the players for employing him when he is the best at helping make that happen.

What is there not to get? Time will tell, but by all appearances Boras has failed tremendously this off-season. It seems that people are finally getting wise to the guy. More specific to the Madson/Philly contract situation, it appears that his usage of his stooges in the media backfired on him in a huge way. I can't stand the guy, so I'm loving it. Prince may get lucky and land on his feet, but this bogeyman 'mystery team' is becoming less likely by the day.

By the way, you can put Billy Beane between Boras and Epstein. I don't hate Cameron, I just thought he was tremendously overrated/overpaid.

by all appearances Boras has failed tremendously this off-season.

Who's 'getting wise' to this new-agent-on-the-scene Scott Boras? I guess my larger question is why do you care?

And yes, Beane would be another. I'll include Cameron still as an editor's pick http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I'm fine with players getting paid a lot of money, but the Brewers' best strategy should (in my humble opinion) be to lock up key young players while they're still in the pre-arby stage (a la Braun), and Boras won't do that. Therefore, if there is an appearance that Boras is getting some egg on his face, it may in some small way help the Brewers in the future. Maybe the "next Prince Fielder" will decide to take the extension rather than play for free agency.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I understand where you're coming from regarding your hatred for Boras, but Prince Fielder does not equal Ryan Madson.
In a way he definitely does. Boras has been selling Prince on a 10 year/$200-250 million deal. It's clear that he is not going to get anywhere near close to either of those numbers. Madson's value deflation is at least in part due to Boras negotiating strategy of going for as much as possible every time because it's very likely he was pricing Madson at or above levels of the other major closers in the market (since he was asking for Papelbon money from the start).

If Prince has his hopes up, the amount of interested teams is dwindling and with the big market clubs all apparently out on him and the Nationals and Marlins the suitors that appear to be left, he's going to get far less than either he or his overestimating agent assume. I'd be surprised if he got more than 6 years from anyone and I think 5 years is more realistic. $150-170 million tops and $170 is quite generous. Right now there's talk of him doing a 3 year deal so he can hit FA again. What does that say about Boras' negotiating abilities this offseason?

I'll include Cameron still as an editor's pick

Suppan would be better. I ranted on him more than anyone http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

As for Boras, I don't think that I'm alone in my contempt for the guy. I will crow anytime he fails, and in this case it's obvious that this is a failure any way you cut it. There is no doubt that Madson could have gotten a significant multi-year deal from the Phillies had he not gotten greedy. Even 3/$25 would have been nothing to sneeze at. Now he is forced to risk everything on how he pitches this year. I really don't see how you can absolve Boras for blame in this situation. If he's the genius many think that he is, he should have noticed that there were a glut of closers on the free agent market this off season. I can't remember an off season where so many closers have been, and still (by the way, I'm loving the fact that Coco is still unsigned) are on the market. There seem to be more closers out there than teams.

As for Prince, Boras seems to be creating a market that just isn't there. I just don't see a team throwing huge money at Prince now. Most teams that sign a guy to big money want to use him for offseason promotion (e.g. ticket selling). We are almost 2/3 through the off-season now. It was pretty easy to guess that the market for Prince was going to be soft with the big boys on the sidelines. It's really too bad that Prince had to get greedy and go to the dark side, he could have taken his $100 million and owned this city for years.

I'd be surprised if he got more than 6 years from anyone and I think 5 years is more realistic. $150-170 million tops and $170 is quite generous.

5 years $150 would be $30MM / year, and I doubt any team is going there.

Wasn't the Brewers' extension offer prior to this past season supposed to be 5 years / $100M? If you take out the $15M or so he made in 2011, that leaves around 4 years / $85M, or around $21M per year. It will be interesting to see how the contract he gets compares to that.

~Bill Walsh

Archived