Brewer Fanatic

Brewers/Braves Walk of Fame 2012

RockCoCougars
I'm sorry but having Gantner on there is a joke. Really? I definitely know that I am in the minority here but I wonder if Gantner wasn't from Fond du Lac if he would have made it. Sorry, I just don't see how an average career Brewer is on there when guys like Geoff Jenkins or Jeff Cirillo aren't on there.

I think that being around for seventeen years with about a decade as a starter is plenty to include Gantner. The incorrect move in regard to Jimmy would be to retire his number.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I think that being around for seventeen years with about a decade as a starter is plenty to include Gantner. The incorrect move in regard to Jimmy would be to retire his number.
You're right Casey and I know that is the only reason why he is on there. I just don't agree with it. He was the definition of average in my opinion.

I remember Michael Hunt writing an article about potentially retiring Gantner's number a few years back and I was totally put off by the idea. I think the Brewers should hold themselves to a higher standard for retiring a number than average Brewer lifer. Just my opinion.

While I still think the voters should receive much of the blame for the lack of inductions I also blame the process. When you have guys like Del Crandell, Moose Haas and Derrick Turnbow all on the same ballot the results are not going to be optimal because there are too many guys from too many eras and only die hard baseball fans can make informed decisions.

Crandall is definitely the most egregious omission, even if you don't pad his Braves record with the years he spent as a Brewers manager and broadcaster. Breaking the Braves down into tiers:

Tier 1: Crandall and Adcock

Tier 2: Logan and Buhl

Tier 3: Joe Torre (not Frank)

I'd add Crandall, Adcock, Logan, and Buhl, with Buhl being the only one that might raise questions. Torre's longevity is significantly less than the others, but he should at least be part of the discussion.

On the Brewers end, Oglivie definitely should be included, with Scott and Jenkins at least being part of the discussion. My inclination would be to include all three.

Augustine? I dunno. If this were the Walk of Honor rather than the Walk of Fame, I'd definitely suggest that he should be included.

Your selections are right on the money. Joe Torre definitely belongs. I'd throw one more Braves name from his era out there too: Tony Cloninger. Cloninger won 43 games over a two year period for the Braves in 64 and 65 and despite lame duck management doing everything it could to prevent the Braves from winning the 65 pennant and embarrassing all of baseball with a World Series in the soon to be empty County Stadium, Cloninger kept hope alive for fans like me praying for a long shot miracle to keep the team in town by winning 24 games that year. He'll always be one of my favorites as will Wade Blasingame from that same staff.

I wonder if the voters even realize Del Crandell played for the Milwaukee Braves before he was a Brewers coach.

And no, I didn't forget to put that in blue.

Considering the fact that he received 4 fewer votes than Ted Simmons, I'd say no. Don't get me wrong, I loved Simba, but his Milwaukee resume pales to Crandall's. Frankly, all of the guys who came over in the Cardinals trade are a tad overrated in Brewers lore. I'm not discounting their contributions, but they were all pretty short term.

I feel the same way about Fingers as I do about Gumby...1st ballot Walk of Fame, but retiring numbers should be left for the Younts & Aarons of the world. The closest number to getting retired before Fingers should have been Cooper, but even there I'd probably hold off. You don't want to wind up like the Bucks where they've diluted the number retirements by having so many.

Keep the number retirements tight...get a little looser on the walk of fame, with extra points for guys that meant a lot to the community and made fans feel good beyond their accomplishments on the field. Hence my support for Augie (I admit my bias since he's my all-time favorite), along with Crandall & Logan.

Alright, for next year, we'll assemble a brewerfan.net portfolio of the players on the ballot, explaining why they should be in and attempt to get it into the hands of the voters.

Who's with me?

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Not to completely hijack the thread, but which Brewers from the last 5 years will make the Walk of Fame?

Braun

Prince

Weeks

Yo

Hart

Sabathia?

Hoffman?

Sabathia and Hoffman don't have a chance unless the rules are changed, as inductees have to have been with the club at least three seasons to be eligible.

Also, I second/third Baldkin's idea. The portfolio could be started most anytime.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I nominate hawing as Chair of the brewerfan Walk of Fame committee...an honor somewhere between being the 92nd caller on WOKY and having your birthday sung by the waitstaff at TGI Fridays!

My first ballot would be for an inaugural class of Bud Selig, Hank Aaron, Robin Yount, George Petak, Frank Charles, Russell Branyan and Brian the Automator. Can you imagine the scene at the awards ceremony with everyone fighting over seats at 3TO's table?

This is the only information I found on voting and eligibility:

"The Walk of Fame is selected by a committee of approximately 100 Wisconsin media members and Brewers officials. On-field personnel who wore a Brewers or Braves uniform for a minimum of three seasons but have been retired from playing/managing roles for at least three seasons are eligible for consideration. To be elected, nominees must receive 75% of the vote from all ballots received. Individuals must receive at least 5% of the vote to remain eligible in future years." Per Brewers.com

It would be interesting to see who BF.net thinks should be on the Walk of Fame. I'm happy to put together the poll, but I can't figure out how to do it.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

We're set up for moderators to be able to create polls. However, the polling feature wouldn't fit this as it isn't designed for responders to be able to give multiple answers.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

One nominee per week, with a solid summation of each player/manager/personalities credentials for the Walk of Fame, which could be saved/put into a portfolio for future reference.... I really need more to do in my free time. ha!

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

• 8 months later...

Bumping this up, with the season winding down.

I really feel like more information about former Braves and Brewers needs to get out to the Media who votes on this stuff, and I feel like we've got an opportunity to spearhead it.

Johnny Logan needs to be in as does Del Crandall.

Archived