Brewer Fanatic

MLB Top 100 Prospects

Hsee2006

Since I am bored at work, thought I would post this top 100 list from Scout.com. http://mlb.scout.com/a.z?...rc=4&pid=88&pg=1

Brewers have three in the top 100: Bradley (34), Jungmann (31) and Peralta (22).

Top 3 overall are Matt Moore, Mike Trout and Bryce Harper.

The list overall seams to lean towards the younger guys.

Overall Toronto, Oakland and San Diego have the most prospects in the top 100 with 7 each. Is Oakland now the top system?

Sonny Gray ahead of Trevor Bauer?

Exactly. This list is a joke. On the other hand, most lists have Jameson Taillion over Gerrit Cole which is something I don't agree with.

Tyler Skaggs ranked 26 - behind Cosart and Martinez - is kind of a joke too. (As is Aaron Hicks inclusion on this list)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The list is obviously heavily weighted towards scouting reports of the players. Thus Jungmann and Bradley ranking so high already.

And JB's beloved Scooter not making the list for being too small. Sorry JB, but your man-crush has been evident lately. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Fact is Scooter could hit .360 at 21 in AA and still get zero love here (most people won't even put him in their top 10's and barely in their top 20's (insane in my opinion) or nationally. People just don't respect his game nearly enough nor will they. His name is Scooter, his defense is sloppy, he is not a SS like they would like, and he is has zero size on his frame, are some excuse commonly used but all you have to do is look at his numbers as one of the youngest players at each level. Guy has the hit tool, I am confident he could produce as a poor mans Pedoria (he won't be winning MVP's but offensive numbers/power should be around the same).

Kid just walks right into AFL against top pitchers in baseball and tore them up. He will most likely do it again in AA and then again in AAA. He was overshadowed by Trout in MWL but up til beginning of August he was a .330 hitter (then he dropped off and got in Erickson's dog house). Outside of one horrendous month in BC, he did outstanding. Guy just performs. I think Mayo is the only nation guy who show ANY respect that Scooter deserves. Any not many posters give him the respect he deserves. But as we all know, rating guys who have proven nothing such Jungmann, Bradley, Lopez deserve all of the praise.

I think he is a legit Top 5 Brewer and Top 80-100 in milb prospect. However, this season is the selling point of this. Its make or break time in AA for him as a legit top prospect

Kid just walks right into AFL against top pitchers in baseball and tore them up.

The AFL is a notorious hitters' league. And when Gennett starts 'tearing it up' above high-A ball, then I think people will show the love. But as someone who has seen him play in person several times, imo he's simply going to have to put on a lot of muscle to be a legit hitter at the big-league level (or maybe even just the higher levels of the minors). Beyond his physique/frame, his BB/K ratio has been terrible so far in the minors -- that's another indicator that a player's hit tool won't translate well at the higher levels. I count myself as a Gennett fan, but his defense & lack of size right now outweigh the free-swinging singles & doubles hitter when I think about his prospect status.

I think he is a legit Top 5 Brewer and Top 80-100 in milb prospect.

I don't know how you can say that, his defensive limitations take a huge cut out of his value. If he could handle SS at even an Eckstein-ian level, I'd be all about him. But he can't, and from what I've read about him, he's been about Eckstein-ian at second base, which isn't a good sign. He doesn't hit enough to overcome the defense, & you'd have to hit a ton to be in a top 100 prospect in the entire league with basically a negative on your defensive scouting report -- top 100 is a huge honor imo.

But as we all know, rating guys who have proven nothing such Jungmann, Bradley, Lopez deserve all of the praise.

Well each of those guys doesn't need to grow in a fashion that looks unlikely for their repsective frames, and have many other reasons for being highly regarded.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think the Gennett to Pedroia comparison is a dangerous one due to the gigantic outlier that Pedroia actually represents (and yes, I realize the argument being made is not that Gennett is the next Pedroia). I have heard hundreds of comparisons over the years about how an undersized, non-elite athlete at WR is the next Wes Welker, or a soft-tossing lefty with a mid 80's FB is can develop into Moyer or how a productive, undersized PF can be the next Barkley. The reality is those guys are the rarest of the rare. I like Gennett more than most, and the production makes it difficult to argue him not being in the Brewers top 8 prospects, but the fact that Pedroia is a great player does little to help my projection of Gennett going forward, and I still doubt he is a top 80-100 guy personally.

I'm pretty comfortable with where I personally rated Gennett in my p50. If he has a good year in AA he'll move up my list, he's one of those "wait and see" kind of players for me personally.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I have Trout envy.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The thing about Scooter is that he appears to be a one-tool player. Yes, the hit tool is the most important one, but he appears to be below average in every other phase of the game. And it's not like his hit tool is dominant. He's managed to hit in the low .300s, but it's not like he's hitting .350 (outside the small sample in the hitter's paradise of the AFL). Honestly, I don't get all the love. I like Scooter, but I need to see some improvements before I'm convinced he can ever be an every day Major League player, much less an impact player.

Those lists are so arbitrary. Scooter probably isn't on the list because his name is Scooter.

You expect Scooter Gennett to be on a top 100 list?

Wow.

He hits for average. Little power, little speed, not sure about his defense, but haven't heard anything good about it. Abysmal walk rate........he could improve, but he has to to make a top 100 list.

The thing is that Gennett may wind up being a Pedroia type, but he might also be lucky to be half the player Iribarren or Pickler were. I'm intrigued and like Gennett, but he's not a top 5 prospect, probably not even top 10 given our pitching depth

Yeah, I don't get the Pedroia comparison at all. Pedroia had a very good walk rate throughout his minor league career. He also showed better power, although not a lot better.

My concern for Gennett, as it is with a lot of minor leaguers is his walk rate.

I will be very happy to be wrong, but he needs to show me more plate discipline before I get excited about him.

I still prefer BA's list (as flawed as it is), MiLB's is pretty informed as well and I'm always interested to see how the prospects rank, the rest don't mean much to me. Jungmann and Bradley haven't pitched in an A ball game yet, I don't see how either is a top 100 pitcher today.

I'll be curious to see if\where BA ranks Peralta and Thornburg next month. Peralta didn't even make the list last year, I doubt he vaults into the top 50, and Thornburg saw some pretty significant regression in his ERA and BB rate moving up a level even though his Hit and K rates improved. The surface level ERA spike might have been enough for the, "he's just a reliever" crowd to win out, we'll see.

As much as I like Green he doesn't belong on any top 100 list, I would have liked to see if he had the stuff to be an everyday MLB 3B but it wasn't meant to be in Milwaukee. Even after a bounce back year he's just not toolsy enough, he doesn't have enough upside to be rated that highly. Ramirez will have to suffer a pretty catastrophic injury for Green to get extended playing time at 3B.

It's too bad Trout didn't last one more spot, lame Angels... reports are the Brewers were very high on him. Trout vs Arnett, what could have been... *sigh*

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

It's too bad Trout didn't last one more spot, lame Angels... reports are the Brewers were very high on him. Trout vs Arnett, what could have been... *sigh*

It's also to bad that CC Sabathia wasn't a higher ranked Free Agent than Texiera because the Trout pick was the pick the Angels got for losing Tex. Grrr...Brewers are overdue for a bit of luck.

Archived