Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Bench

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If he wasn't an ex-Brewers player I'm not sure we'd even be talking about him. Aside from his versatility (and I think decent defense, but thats up for debate), he really has been pretty bad offensively the last few years. Still has some power, but his average has been very bad for the most part.

That's either a gross overstatement on Hall's ability with the glove or an apt concern/condemnation of what Izturis' defensive skills may well have become.

(Izturis has been a Gold Glove SS and of that sort of renown for a while in his career, which means his skill level apex reached levels that make Hall's pale in comparison. In other words, Hall became a nicely serviceable glove but he would never have been mistaken for a Jeff Cirillo at 3B, Fernando Vina at 2B, or Cesar Izturis at SS.)

Yes, Izturis won a Gold Glove. In 2004 or 8 years ago. I guess watching him in Spring Training didn't provide me with the hope that he would still provide the same type of glove he used to have. A little jaded due to the most recent sample we saw in reference to Izturis' defensive abilities.

I think Izturis is this year's Wil Nieves to me. A supposed defensive stud who in all actuality is nothing special on D and who's offense is so atrocious that we would gladly take Bill Hall, or someone who could provide even a threat at the plate, over him.

If Ishikawa is this year's Kotsay...what is the over/under on Ishikawa starts in CF?

0, because Ishikawa isn't a natural OF. Kotsay was an OF, and used to play CF. The same can't be said for Ishikawa. Playing him in a corner OF spot would be bad enough though.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

If Ishikawa is this year's Kotsay...what is the over/under on Ishikawa starts in CF?

0, because Ishikawa isn't a natural OF. Kotsay was an OF, and used to play CF. The same can't be said for Ishikawa. Playing him in a corner OF spot would be bad enough though.

I'll believe that that's not going to happen when I don't see it! I mean, unless one of them gets hurt, you have literally two backup elite/very good CF/OF defenders on the bench every single game. Ish should play zero games in the OF this season, but knowing good ol' Ron, he'll find a way.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'll believe that that's not going to happen when I don't see it! I mean, unless one of them gets hurt, you have literally two backup elite/very good CF/OF defenders on the bench every single game. Ish should play zero games in the OF this season, but knowing good ol' Ron, he'll find a way.

Yep, and his explanation will be that he needs to find somewhere to get Ishikawa at-bats to keep him sharp.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

• 3 weeks later...

It's not directly relevant to the intentions of this thread, but after this just-concluded series against Houston, I'll posit this: Right now I'm 20x more concerned about the bullpen than I am about the bench.

Our bench isn't stellar but Kottaras started hot, Gomez is now playing more (supposed to be the lesser half of the CF platoon), Aoki's hitting well off the bench, Ishikawa's not a waste at the plate, and Izturis has even had a couple key (positive) ABs....

Dillard's pitched well lately to come down to a 5.40 ERA. Veras has blown up his last couple outings after a great start, also now at a 5.40 ERA. Loe's last outing blew up his otherwise-decent numbers, Estrada's now in the rotation and McClendon's 1st 2 outings have been forgettable, Parra started well but has looked more shaky lately, and both Axford & K-Rod have two of the worst ERAs on the team and more crappy outings between them in 3 weeks than they had in the last 3 months of last year. The bullpen's total line so far tells the painful tale: 59.1 IP, 70 H, 37 R (33 ER), 32 BB, 59 K --> 1.72 WHIP, 5.01 ERA. OUCH!

(Yes, I expect the 'pen to improve some either by better pitching or better pitchers, but to date it's been tons worse than the bench.)

• 1 month later...

let's not forget that the brewers are playing with 13 pitchers right now. one would assume that when travis ishikawa is activated tomorrow, that taylor green will be optioned, and not a pitcher. that still leaves the brewers short a bench player.

who'd be a good available fill for us right now?

Archived