Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Bench

Just an update on 'Frisco ... the Giants are going to release Mike Fontenot. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/03/giants-to-release-mike-fontenot.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

His contract in SF was $1 million. Giants have to pay $250,000. He could be had for cheap. Plays 2B, SS, and 3B. Just throwing it out there...

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fontenot isn't even much of a defender at 2B, let alone SS, so unfortunately I don't think he's really an option... which is too bad, since his lefty bat would be nice to spell Gonzalez.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I don't know, Fontenot's defensive numbers at SS seemed pretty impressive last season. I've also read a few articles saying that he performed surprisingly well, while never having to play a lot of innings there in his career. Also, Izturis has never really played 2b in his career.

You know, & it's not like Izturis has even wowed with the glove this spring. Although I would have zero worries about a guy with a good rep and/or skillset at SS handling 2B. I'd guess the reason Izturis hasn't really played 2B is that, through his career, he's just been a slam-dunk option as a SS defender.

So, after all, this is a Doug Melvin team -- defense be damned! Honestly though Fontenot's bat alone would probably outweigh whatever small edge Izturis may have on defense at this point.

I always liked (hated) Fontenot's swing, for a smaller guy, when he was with the Cubs. A career line of .267/.337/.413/.750 against RHP sure would be nice to have coming off the bench instead of Izturis's "hitting"

I know it's an unfortunate situation, but Conrad is a lot better than Izturis even though he's still not great himself. Let's just hope our IFs stay healthy, so these guys stay on the bench, and don't make many starts.

Based on what? Conrad is in his 30's and his major league record is very, very thin. Conrad's limited big league record reminds me of Joe Dillon. Everybody got excited about him after he hit .342 in 82 AB's in 2007, then he proved why he was a career minor leaguer the next season when he hit .213 Also,did I miss something, Conrad hasn't even officially made the team has he? Ishikawa is still in the mix last I read isn't he and he might be more useful than Conrad, as late inning defensive replacement for Gamel. That scenario might mean Gamel could be pressed into service at 3B, but that would only be in an emergency as Green could be up in less than 24 hours if need be.

If you don't recognize that Brooks Conrad can outhit Cesar Izturis by a landslide, I'm at a loss for words. PEM's post describes the Conrad-Izturis situation perfectly. Izturis is likely still a better defender, but the difference in offense more than makes up for it. I just hope Melvin is able to find a better backup SS option as the season rolls along.

The article on the Brewers' site today said that the Brewers are down to 27 men in camp. Conrad's made the team, and Ishkawa will only make the team if Hart can't go opening day. The other guy is that lefty RP who had a collapsed lung, who they will send down, but he's had a pretty good spring, so they're keeping him with the team a little longer. I think he'll see some MLB time this year.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I'll admit I can't stand Izturis but I just don't see the point of keeping him around. If Gonzalez is going play 150 games at SS and is supposedly solid enough defensively to not need pulling what is the point of keeping a guy like Izturis around? So he can start a dozen games? His bat is completely useless off the bench and his one attribute (defense at SS) is redundant. Green is gone for Conrad who is also pretty bad offensively. Fontenot can at least be used as a pinch hitter off the bench. If Gonzalez is down for a length of time Izturis or someone of similar ilk shouldn't be to hard to find to provide a warm body at SS which is basically where the team would be if trying to fill in.

I'll admit I can't stand Izturis but I just don't see the point of keeping him around. If Gonzalez is going play 150 games at SS and is supposedly solid enough defensively to not need pulling what is the point of keeping a guy like Izturis around? So he can start a dozen games? His bat is completely useless off the bench and his one attribute (defense at SS) is redundant. Green is gone for Conrad who is also pretty bad offensively. Fontenot can at least be used as a pinch hitter off the bench. If Gonzalez is down for a length of time Izturis or someone of similar ilk shouldn't be to hard to find to provide a warm body at SS which is basically where the team would be if trying to fill in.

THIS!

100% agree. If Gonzalez were to get hurt, I think we would see a trade or Maysonet before Izturis was run out there everyday. If this is the case, what is the point? RR likely will not PH for Gonzalez or use Izturis as a defensive replacement because Gonzalez is just as good as Izturis. There really is no point in having Izturis. Fontenot would at least bring the threat of a bat.

Yuniesky Izturis lives!

The reason to have him is for late inning double switches, and as a guy, just in case Gonzalez needs a day off.

I was a bit shocked Maysonet did not get the job, but I think they sort of figured having 2 backup SS's was better than having one.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

If AGonz gets a minor injury ("day to day" and needs 3-4 days off), you don't trade or bring up a minor league player. That is what Izturis is for. And no, I'm not happy that he's on my team. I just hope Izturis is playing the role of Josh Wilson this year and not Kotsay.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I don't like Izturis, but I can't blame him for our not having a decent bat on the bench. That is mainly on our insistance on retaining three center fielders on the roster, and on our desire to have Green get regular PAs in AAA so that he's ready to step in when one/both of Ramirez and Weeks have a month-long injury mid-season. If our wish is to have a back-up SS who can be our primary bat off the bench, that will be a wish that will go ungranted. Players who can defend at SS and swing a decent bat make a lot of money and don't sit on a team's bench.

My biggest concern with Izturis is that he's supposed to be a defensive whiz, but this spring he routinely booted easy plays. If he doesn't have a good glove anymore, we would be better with Maysonet.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Last year they had Mark Kotsay, Danny Almonte, Wil Nieves, Craig Counsell and Brandon Boggs on the opening day roster.

I like Aoki, Conrad and Kottaras off the bench a lot more than any of those guys.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived