Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Bench

back to the Brewers' bench..I'd consider Scott just as I'd consider Aoki--primarily for 50 games in LF, 5 more when Braun has a hamstring strain or oblique issue, 10-15 games in RF, 3-6 games at DH, and then perhaps a few starts at 1b (Aoki would be CF, not 1b).

I'd prefer Gomes. He destroys LHP and should be much less expensive then either Scott or Aoki. IIRC, he made $1M last year, while Scott made $6.4M and Aoki would probably be $2.5M for multiple years + the posting fee. Gomes could platoon with Gindl/Schafer for the first 50 games, and then be our RH bat off the bench for the rest of the year, with Gindl/Schafer going back to play everyday in AAA.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'd prefer Gomes. He destroys LHP and should be much less expensive then either Scott or Aoki. IIRC, he made $1M last year, while Scott made $6.4M and Aoki would probably be $2.5M for multiple years + the posting fee. Gomes could platoon with Gindl/Schafer for the first 50 games, and then be our RH bat off the bench for the rest of the year, with Gindl/Schafer going back to play everyday in AAA.
Gomes really does maul left handers - but he is a pretty bad fielder. His stats last year look bad - a .209 BA - but he hit .311 with an .863 OPS vs lefties. Over the last three years he's hit them for an .875 OPS. Of course, that means he's terrible against righthanders.

Still, a Gindl/Gomes platoon wouldn't be the worst option - for 50 games. At that point (assuming Braun comes back, Hart is in RF and Gomez/Morgan in CF), you have decide upon keeping Gindl or Gomes as your 5th OF.

I guess the tough thing would be getting Gomes to agree to the job - knowing he'll mostly play against lefthanders for the first 50 games, and when Braun returns, there's a significant chance he could get released. And if we keep him past the 50 games, he's not going to get a lot of playing time. Perhaps he'd be good with that, but you have to think he could find a little better situation.

The one thing I'd be really interested in Gomes for is if he could play 1B. He would then be a great option to play LF against lefties while Braun is out, and then play 1B against lefties, giving Gamel a rest.

I'd just keep him away from righthanders.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
We're not that bad off. Izturis is a great fielder, which is what we need in our backup SS. No one else is out there. And either Green or Conrad should be fine as our extra IF and pinch-hitter. Conrad is a switch-hitter and has been a good pinch-hitter in his career, so I think he'll get the nod. The truth is there aren't any other options out there, otherwise Melvin would've explored them. He was also a little tied down, because of the fact that there is no more money to work with. Izturis and Conrad are as cheap as they come.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

We're not that bad off. Izturis is a great fielder, which is what we need in our backup SS. No one else is out there. And either Green or Conrad should be fine as our extra IF and pinch-hitter. Conrad is a switch-hitter and has been a good pinch-hitter in his career, so I think he'll get the nod. The truth is there aren't any other options out there, otherwise Melvin would've explored them. He was also a little tied down, because of the fact that there is no more money to work with. Izturis and Conrad are as cheap as they come.

Our 40-man is full, and neither of these guys is on it. In order for one or both to make the roster, we'd need to free up space.

Bianchi is on the 40-man, so he probably either makes the team or gets waived, making room for Izturis/Conrad. Wheeler, Maldonado and Kjeldgaard are the other position players on the 40-man who may have some chance of being waived. De La Cruz, Dillard and McClendon are the three pitchers who might have a chance of being waived.

Barring injury or a tremendous showing at SS by Bianchi, I think Izturis is a lock to make the team, so I guess the question is: "Is Conrad worth potentially losing one of the above named players?"

I'd like to see Green playing everyday at AAA, but my guess is that Green will make the team, along with one of Bianchi / Izturis.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

"Is Conrad worth potentially losing one of the above named players"

I don't think the above named players are where his roster spot would come from. They have 3 pitchers competing for roster spots that are out of options: Parra, Dillard, and De la Cruz. At best 2 of those 3 make the roster, but not likely all 3.

I didn't include Parra, because I think he recently signed a guaranteed $1MM+ deal (it may have been one of those arby deals they can get out of if they drop him by a certain date), but I did include de la Cruz, Dillard and I added McClendon.

I agree that it would probably be one of the pitchers who would be dropped if they decide to keep Conrad. I was just looking at 40-man space, and not options, so you have a point that Dillard or de la Cruz may get dumped regardless. I was half-asleep, but I think de la Cruz looked pretty good last night, and I like that fastball. He looked good at AAA last year, and did alright as a Brewer, so I'm kind of pulling for him to make the team.

~Bill Walsh

At most they go with 7 bullpen arms, 3 of which are locked up for sure with Ax, KRod and Loe, which leaves 4 spots for:

Parra, Braddock, McClendon, De La Cruz, Dillard, Kintzler, Estrada, Veras.

Dillard, De La Cruz, Parra, McClendon and Veras don't have any options remaining.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Pretty simple solution. Drop one of Dillard or De la Cruz and Bianchi. That's what will likely happen. 5 pen spots are pretty much guaranteed with Ax, K-Rod, Loe, Veras, and Estrada. That leaves 2 spots. 1 will go to Parra or Braddock, likely Parra because he has no options. The other will likely go to Dillard or De la Cruz because they have no options left. If not, just drop both of them to solve the problem. Don't see that happening though for the purpose of keeping some depth in the pen.

Pretty simple solution. Drop one of Dillard or De la Cruz and Bianchi. That's what will likely happen. 5 pen spots are pretty much guaranteed with Ax, K-Rod, Loe, Veras, and Estrada. That leaves 2 spots. 1 will go to Parra or Braddock, likely Parra because he has no options. The other will likely go to Dillard or De la Cruz because they have no options left. If not, just drop both of them to solve the problem. Don't see that happening though for the purpose of keeping some depth in the pen.

It's not all that likely that either De La Cruz or Dillard would be claimed at a time teams are trying to get down to a 25 man roster, so assuming either would accept an assignment to AAA, you can still maintain reliever depth. In fact, in the case of De La Cruz, it's actually starter depth too, because he was solid as a starter in AAA last year and if he gets through waivers and is assigned to Nashville, he could start again.

Veras is a virtual lock to make the roster, even more so than Loe or Parra.

I would probably guess that Kintzler has a good chance of making the roster if he proves healthy. He has late-inning type stuff.

I like Kintzler too, but I don't think there's much chance he doesn't get stashed at AAA. It's just how Melvin does things, doesn't matter if Kintzler is a better option than anyone else. Plus, coming off of a significant injury, there might also be legit reasons to start him off at AAA.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

At most they go with 7 bullpen arms, 3 of which are locked up for sure with Ax, KRod and Loe, which leaves 4 spots for:

Parra, Braddock, McClendon, De La Cruz, Dillard, Kintzler, Estrada, Veras.

I'm pretty sure Ax, KRod, Loe, Veras, and Estrada are all locks to make the BP. Barring injuries, I would think Braddock, Kintzler, and McClendon will start at AAA (given options and that B and K didn't pitch much last year). And as TLB said, its how DM does things.

That leaves 2 spots for Parra, De La Cruz, and Dillard. Parra has the upper hand given his contract and being left-handed (esp if Braddock goes to AAA).

Its possible De La Cruz might be traded given his good AAA season last year and his mid-90s fastball. I'm sure teams will be looking for 6th starter/BP types. But I think the Brewers are pretty high on him also.

I could also see them sending Estrada to AAA to start, and keeping him stretched out, instead of wasting him in the mop up role.

It depends on Marcum's (and the rest of the staff's) health situation, and if they really want to keep Parra, Dillard and De La Cruz.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I could also see them sending Estrada to AAA to start, and keeping him stretched out, instead of wasting him in the mop up role.

It depends on Marcum's (and the rest of the staff's) health situation, and if they really want to keep Parra, Dillard and De La Cruz.

That will never happen. Estrada is far too valuable as the long man for the MLB team. Additionally, it isn't like Estrada is some prized prospect getting his feet wet at the MLB level. He is what he is and that is a long man/spot starter...and a darn good one at that.

Long man is a huge waste of a pitcher. They only pitch in mop up duty and any scrub could do that. If you want a guy as a back up starter you are way better off keeping him stretched out in AAA. Not that our manager will do that.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Long man is a huge waste of a pitcher. They only pitch in mop up duty and any scrub could do that. If you want a guy as a back up starter you are way better off keeping him stretched out in AAA. Not that our manager will do that.

Totally agree. Back when teams carried 10 pitchers, a long man was important but not with 12 man staffs. Nobody goes more than 3 innings out of the pen these days even on the one or two occasions per year where a starter doesn't get past the first inning. If a starter gets knocked out early, the manager uses his 3-4 secondary bullpen guys or guys that need an inning to finish out the game. In the NL especially, you just don't see relievers going extended innings.

FWIW, Buster Olney just tweeted that the Brewers are looking for IFs capable of filling in for Weeks or Gonzalez if one goes down at any point. They must not be confident in Izturis anymore. Not sure who is all out there though that would be a better option.

Archived