Brewer Fanatic

JSOnline is becoming a paid site (update, reply #73: so is Madison dot com)

fondybrewfan
It will take me less than 5 minutes to bookmark the Racine and Madison papers, and Tom H usually links everything from Twitter. They'll sell more than 35, but I don't see it working. What's astounding is, so many sites have figured out how to sell ads on the sides, but the old media acts like it is unfathomable.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't have a problem with people getting paid. Nobody likes to give away their work for free.

I do wish the Journal/Sentinel did more local news. There isn't really any go-to site to get SE Wisconsin stuff, and that would be a natural fit for the local paper.

What am I missing? Why can't people get local news from sites like WTMJ or Fox6? Sports was the only real reason to go to JSOnline for me in the past.

you are right about day to day local news, but jsonline does do alot of investigative reporting and such that tv stations do not have the time or staff to do. there are also features that some may enjoy like movie reviews, reviews of concerts, restaurants, movies etc.

I guess I am ancient and haven't joined the ranks of twitter yet. I have a dinosaur phone so I figured twitter doesn't make a whole lot of sense for me. I guess I will just be visiting brewers.com, packers.com; GB Press Gazette, WTMJ, yahoo sports, espn, etc a little bit more than I used to

RockCoCougars[/b]]With most news sites, I don't get why you would buy the physical newspaper when most of the content is available online much sooner. The only people that I know of who still subscribe to newspapers are either coupon clippers or are older and not 'wired'.

Like JimH I'm ancient in that I'm a 7 day a week subscriber. I grew up in a household where my dad read the paper religiously every day and when I got older I did the same thing and I can't imagine not having the paper in my mailbox every morning. I may be ancient, but I'm still wired. I have a laptop, smart phone, and I just purchased a tablet. However, when I sit down at the breakfast table in the morning I don't want to read from a computer screen, I want to have the physical paper in front of me. Same goes for when I'm eating lunch and reading what I was not able to get to at breakfast. I guess it's just a comfort thing.

thebruce44[/b]]What am I missing? Why can't people get local news from sites like WTMJ or Fox6? Sports was the only real reason to go to JSOnline for me in the past.
WTMJ is not "horrible" for local coverage, but the local stations web sites are. While Sports is a large part of what I'm looking for, I'm also looking at information about other local stories and events.

My only issue with the Journal/Sentinel is how they sometimes put their own political slant on different stories, but I know this is not the correct forum to get into that discussion.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

fondybrewfan, for what it's worth, you can use Twitter on devices other than phones. Even I use it (on PC and occasionally on an iPod) and I definitely bring up the average age on Brewerfan. I took my time in deciding to start with Twitter, but if you choose your follows carefully, it's a nice format for access to information that interests you.

More related to the topic at hand (and still related to ancientness), like JimH5 and Patrick425, I'm a fan of having a physical paper to read. It's partly a habit, and partly my personal preference for how to pick and choose what I want to read. I was a State Journal subscriber for more than 25 years until this summer and am not yet completely over the lack of newsprint in our house, especially on Sundays - hence my interest in trying the JS for Sundays.

Even more related to the topic at hand, I am now in day 3 of waiting for a response from the Journal Sentinel that they said would come in 48 hours. I realize I could call them but I'd like to have this correspondence "in writing."

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I'm curious how many Packer Insider subscriptions they had sold prior to this change, since that could have been a kind of trial balloon for this. I'm guessing they sold quite a few of them, since I know four or five people personally, including myself. I felt like I got my money's worth out of it.

It includes the blogs too but you don't even need the blog for the lineups. TH or McCalvy usually tweets the lineup at the same time they post the blog or before.
Well then, I'll have to get around to changing my bookmark from blog to twitter!

I'm curious how many Packer Insider subscriptions they had sold prior to this change, since that could have been a kind of trial balloon for this. I'm guessing they sold quite a few of them, since I know four or five people personally, including myself. I felt like I got my money's worth out of it.
I bought a year's subscription about 5-6 years ago because I needed my Bob McGinn fix. I never re-upped but my logon always worked. I can only presume that same rock-solid boundary will be in place for JSEverywhere...

RockCoCougars[/b]]With most news sites, I don't get why you would buy the physical newspaper when most of the content is available online much sooner. The only people that I know of who still subscribe to newspapers are either coupon clippers or are older and not 'wired'.

Like JimH I'm ancient in that I'm a 7 day a week subscriber. I grew up in a household where my dad read the paper religiously every day and when I got older I did the same thing and I can't imagine not having the paper in my mailbox every morning. I may be ancient, but I'm still wired. I have a laptop, smart phone, and I just purchased a tablet. However, when I sit down at the breakfast table in the morning I don't want to read from a computer screen, I want to have the physical paper in front of me. Same goes for when I'm eating lunch and reading what I was not able to get to at breakfast. I guess it's just a comfort thing.

thebruce44[/b]]What am I missing? Why can't people get local news from sites like WTMJ or Fox6? Sports was the only real reason to go to JSOnline for me in the past.
WTMJ is not "horrible" for local coverage, but the local stations web sites are. While Sports is a large part of what I'm looking for, I'm also looking at information about other local stories and events.

My only issue with the Journal/Sentinel is how they sometimes put their own political slant on different stories, but I know this is not the correct forum to get into that discussion.

I'm with Patrick on my adoption of technology. I subscribe to the paper, but acknowledge that a lot of its content is old. To me, it's just a comfortable habit. My dad subscribed to the Milwaukee Journal, which was delivered every day around 4:00 p.m. (That sounds so incredibly archaic to imagine a daily evening paper). But to me, that was an adult thing to do, to read the newspaper. We have moved around a lot over the past 13 years, so wherever we have gone, I have subscribed to the local paper, at least for awhile. It gave me good info and ads about the local happenings. And when we came back to the Milwaukee area, it was just a natural thing. I recognize that the JS leans left, but as long as you know that going in, that's fine. The Shepherd Express leans wayyyyy left, and I'll occasionally read that. I don't need to surround myself with only like-minded thoughts.

At the same time, I'm becoming a real fan of Twitter--it's much more useful than I ever thought it would be for instant news. I have it on my phone now, but only just recently got a smartphone. Prior to that, I'd check it on my computer. I don't have a tablet. My little 10" Lenovo laptop is portable enough for me.

As for WTMJ or Fox6, etc., I just think there's a LOT more going on in SE Wisconsin that we don't ever hear about, which is why I wish the local media would cover local stories. Television is only going to cover a crime or a fire or something they have video of, and then interview some local rube to get his reaction to what we've just seen on said video. That formula is so tired.

As for their websites, I haven't really ever thought to check them. . .Do Hank Stoddard and John Drilling post stuff? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

99 cents per week for Sunday/Wednesday delivery (as other have said, great for coupons alone) plus full digital access is a bargain.

Or if you have TW or another ISP that lets you, just change your IP address if you reach the limit and start over from zero. Takes just a few seconds. Google how to do it. Easiest way I've found is to just manually change the MAC address of your router and reboot everything. TW assigns you a nice new IP.

I'm with Patrick on my adoption of technology. I subscribe to the paper, but acknowledge that a lot of its content is old. To me, it's just a comfortable habit. My dad subscribed to the Milwaukee Journal, which was delivered every day around 4:00 p.m. (That sounds so incredibly archaic to imagine a daily evening paper). But to me, that was an adult thing to do, to read the newspaper. We have moved around a lot over the past 13 years, so wherever we have gone, I have subscribed to the local paper, at least for awhile. It gave me good info and ads about the local happenings. And when we came back to the Milwaukee area, it was just a natural thing. I recognize that the JS leans left, but as long as you know that going in, that's fine. The Shepherd Express leans wayyyyy left, and I'll occasionally read that. I don't need to surround myself with only like-minded thoughts.

At the same time, I'm becoming a real fan of Twitter--it's much more useful than I ever thought it would be for instant news. I have it on my phone now, but only just recently got a smartphone. Prior to that, I'd check it on my computer. I don't have a tablet. My little 10" Lenovo laptop is portable enough for me.

I'm the same way. I spend a lot of time on twitter getting up-to-the-minute news, but I still start everyday with the newspaper. Much of the news is stuff I've already heard, but there's just something comforting about starting the day with the physical paper. For me, a real treat is a Sunday with nothing to do, where I can start with a Sunday New York Times. I can't imagine I'll be able to do that forever, as I'm 35 and I only know a few people my age (and none younger) that even get the paper.

I used to have a local gas station that got in one copy of the Sunday New York Times just for me. Then they went out of business. I'm 27, by the way, but I grew up in a newspaper house where I would sit and wait on Sunday morning for my dad to get done with the sports section of the Journal (and later the Journal Sentinel), so I still enjoy a newspaper.

It will take me less than 5 minutes to bookmark the Racine and Madison papers, and Tom H usually links everything from Twitter. They'll sell more than 35, but I don't see it working. What's astounding is, so many sites have figured out how to sell ads on the sides, but the old media acts like it is unfathomable.
Its called overhead. Newer media sites don't have it (the vast majority of their writers are either unpaid or paid ridiculously low sums along with a complete lack of a physical plant that you have to pay mortgage and taxes on) and old media has been laying off people for years in an effort to streamline their businesses to fit the new model.

Its called overhead. Newer media sites don't have it (the vast majority of their writers are either unpaid or paid ridiculously low sums along with a complete lack of a physical plant that you have to pay mortgage and taxes on) and old media has been laying off people for years in an effort to streamline their businesses to fit the new model.
I remember reading this a couple of summers ago in Milwaukee Magazine about Journal/Sentinel and their financial problems: http://www.insidemilwaukee.com/Article/242011-PaperMoney

I thought there was some backlash for some of the details in the piece, but it's still a good (if long) read. . .

New York Times also moved to an all paid system (I think). The interesting thing for me is the 20 free views. I live out of state and don't visit the website daily but when I do visit I usually bounce around to the politcal, business and sports blogs. I'll still read select articles but probably won't read all the other stuff anymore which will certainly leave me feeling more separated from friends and family in WIsconsin.

Community Moderator
The 20 free views system is seriously flawed. The number of views is stored in your cookies, so all you have to do is delete your cookies and the views reset to 0. I expect that the NYTimes will eventually amend the free view model and papers like the JS will eventually follow to discourage users from cheating the system. I have continued to read way more than 20 NYTimes articles/month using this method. JSOnline's problem is that it is virtually unreadable without Adblock. I recently visited JSOnline from a computer without Adblock and I was shocked at the number of annoying ads and popups. I guess that is what happens when you give your product away for free. Once people expect something for free, it is hard to get them to pay for it. Charging $4/month is almost as cheap as free. In comparison, the NYTimes charges $15/month.

Yeah, I was figuring that the limit would be cookie-based. I use CookieCuller, which allows me to protect a small handful cookies (such as the login for this board), while dumping all the others.

I believe the New York Times allows a much lower number of free articles. But I also believe it offers more free ways to access. If you find something in a Google search, you can read it. It might be that articles are accessible via any link outside of the New York Times website (e.g. links from this board).

It's very possible that I could be confusing some of the New York Times policy with that of the Wall Street Journal. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Back to the Journal Sentinel, it appears that Kindle subscriptions will incur a separate charge. Does that require development that's separate from that of web pages?

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

CookieCuller should be an item in Firefox's Tools menu. When you choose it, CookieCuller's window appears.

Here's a screen capture. (I pared down my list of cookies to make the capture clearer.)

http://images.yuku.com.s3.amazonaws.com/image/png/5f615a5f4c5f470091da9af54e44442812b3186.png

To protect a cookie, select it by clicking on it and hitting the "Protect Cookie" button. (The button is grayed out in the screen capture because I've selected a cookie that's already protected.) Once you protect a cookie or cookies, hitting "Remove All Cookies" will remove all cookies except for the ones you've protected.

If you're not sure which cookies to protect, you can protect all cookies for a site. If you have a little bit of patience, you can generally narrow down which cookie or cookies actually keep you logged in. As examples, Yuku needs exactly one cookie (CE from yuku.com) while Netflix needs two.

You don't need to protect any cookies from brewersfandemonium.yuku.com or lambeauleap.yuku.com. I have help.yuku.com protected because the help desk is on a separate system (which I use way more often than I'd like).

If you use CookieCuller to protect certain cookies, make sure that "Cookies" is unchecked when using Firefox's "Clear Recent History…" tool. If you toss your cookies that way, Firefox will clear them all, protected or not. Make sure that you do all cookie cleanup within CookieCuller.

I can't believe they are charging people to read garbage like Hunt's column today.

I was going to say I can't believe they are charging people to read garbage like any of Hunt's columns, but then I read today's. Wow.

There'd be a couple of other options.

One would be to save all of your logins within your browser. That would allow you to clear all cookies periodically and log back into your sites with minimal effort. In the security pane of your Firefox preferences (options), you'd check "Remember passwords for sites." I've resisted that because I'd rather not have that information stored on my computer, but it's there if you want it.

Another option would be to selectively clear cookies through the interface that Firefox provides. It's kind of hidden, but it's easy enough to open up.

In Firefox's preferences (options), hit the Privacy Tab. In the dropdown in the History section, choose "Use custom settings for history." That will open up some more choices. One of the things that will appear is a button that says "Show Cookies…." That will give you a window that allows you to deal with cookies.

http://images.yuku.com.s3.amazonaws.com/image/png/8ad358c95f3c4db25f2f408807c45008fa800a4.png

Hitting the dropdown arrow next to the site name will let you deal with individual cookies, but you can probably just select a site, then hit the "Remove Cookies" button.

Note that Firefox's cookie manager doesn't respect the "protect" options set by CookieCuller. If you're using CookieCuller, I'd stay away from this interface.

Archived