Brewer Fanatic

Cleo the Coonhound

Menotti80

I hate having to do this again, but the next week or two is likely going to be very hard on myself and my family. For those who remember, I was the one with "Viggo" the cat from a few years ago. We had to put Viggo down almost 2 years ago and it was pretty devistating for our family. Since that time, we have gotten not only 2 new cats, but we also rescued a coonhound named Cleo. We got Cleo because our coonhound puppy needed a companion.

In the summer of 2010, we rescued Cleo the black and tan coonhound. She was about 4 years old at the time, and the sweetest most gentle dog ever. She had a pretty rough life, but the last 19 months she has had pretty much the greatest life possible and we have become extremely attached to her.

Well anyways, my wife took Cleo into her work today (an animal hospital), and Cleo may have lymphoma. It's either that or an infection, which obviously would be treatable. She started on antibiotics this morning, and we will have to wait a week to see if it was an infection or not. If it's not the infection we are hoping for, and it turns out to be lymphoma, then we will have to put her down.

Just thinking about the possibility is pretty devistating. Not only would we lose another part of our family, but Gunnar's best friend. My wife says its a 50/50 shot its an infection, but with the way things have gone for us in the past with animals, I can't help think the worst.

If you guys could keep Cleo and our family in your thoughts/prayers it would be much appreciated. When we went through rough times with Viggo, all of the kind words bf.net'ers shared really helped. Thanks - AJ

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/3f71569b8e4514bd7c80d6a919f86ce036a1ec5.pjpeg

Best wishes on your dog.

I hope it all works out for the best. You've done heroic work in bringing her into your family, and regardless of how this episode ends, you should feel good about giving her a better life than she would have otherwise had.

Aw, I'll have my fingers crossed for you all (when I'm not typing, of course).

In case a real-life story of things turning out better than expected would help...last month we had our boy cats in for their annual checkup. Nate, our black kitty, needed a few teeth extracted and while they were doing a blood test on him, the vet discovered a growth by one of his nostrils. She came right out and said, "this looks bad" in a way that made me suspect she was trying to prepare us for bad news.

So they did a biopsy while he was already out for the dental work and we were trying to be ready for the worst - but the lab declared it benign. When I talked to the vet about the results, she said she'd completely expected it to be squamous cell carcinoma.

Just saying, there are cases where the worst does not come to pass, and I'll hope the same for Cleo. Then I'll go knock on wood for all our beloved animal companions.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I'm sorry to hear about your family's loss, Brett.

My dog lost most of his running around loose privileges when he started showing an interest in going near the road on his own. I had him for years before that started. I think he started figuring that he could take his regular walk, leash or not and master or not.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

So Cleo does have lymphoma. Cleo had a really crappy life until she came to our home and I just wish we could have given her like 5 years of living the good life, instead of 1.5-2. She is around 6 years old.

Our plan is to give her prednisone to delay the spread and to keep her comfortable, until it’s time to put her down. At least we have been able to bring plenty of joy to her life and she has certainly done the same for us.

Our string of bad luck with animals dying early will continue, but life will go on, and we will make sure to enjoy our time left with her.

Oh, I'm so sorry, Menotti. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

May Cleo know as much comfort as possible for the rest of her life. Your perspective on this whole situation is admirable.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Makes it even more remarkable Ronnie has lasted 15+ years. A vet told me once only half the dogs make it to 10, so considering my dog growing up lived until he was 23, I've been around the exceptions.

Sorry for your soon to be loss. Dogs are an incredible blessing because of their simpleness.

There is a couple that is close friends of ours that had a puppy get loose and hit by a car at 10 months, and their replacement dog ended up with a type of lung cancer as a puppy and had to be put down at just over a year old. It's so tragic to see pets not make it a full life.

I've been very fortunate with every pet I've owned to live well past expectancy, but I always tear up (as I am now) when I hear about others animals. My prayers to you and your family, I hope Cleo can outlast lymphoma. And as someone said, Cleo probably can't thank you enough for getting her out of the situation she was in before she met you guys.

• 2 months later...

After quite a battle, tomorrow is going to be the day we put her down. I just feel so sorry for her. I truly believe that if there was one pet out there who deserved another 5 years, it's Cleo.

I'm sorry girl, and we love you. Felt the need to say it even though you can't read...

After quite a battle, tomorrow is going to be the day we put her down. I just feel so sorry for her. I truly believe that if there was one pet out there who deserved another 5 years, it's Cleo.

I'm sorry girl, and we love you. Felt the need to say it even though you can't read...

I'm so sorry, Menotti. Cleo's lucky to have had you in her life, and you're lucky to have had her. It takes time, but try to remember her in happy ways.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Aw, man. One thing we do now when a family pet moves on is to imagine former playmates being reunited 'on the other side' or various generations of family pets meeting there. Here's hoping that Cleo and Viggo meet up soon.

It's easier to say, but try to give thought to the good things you were able to do for Cleo. That's what she thinks of when she thinks of you. Take it as easy as you can.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Thanks to everyone for your kind words. I appreciate being able to share my thoughts at a place where I don't know you all personally, but yet I know you all treat me like we are all a part of a family.

Cleo is in a better place now. We will miss her, but we are glad we got to spend these last 21 months with her. R.I.P. "mer cler"

Archived