Brewer Fanatic

Other sport?

Alexpos
My interests in major league sports and major college (D-1) athletics break down this way:

(1) Milwaukee Brewers (MLB)
(2) Green Bay Packers (NFL)
(3) Motherwell FC (Scottish Premier League Soccer)
(4) Central Michigan Chippewas (NCAA Football) -- my alma mater
(5) Wisconsin Badgers (NCAA Football)
(6) Chicago Blackhawks (NHL)
(7) Wisconsin Badgers (NCAA Basketball)
(8) Central Michigan Chippewas (NCAA Basketball)

Absolutely no interest in professional basketball. Wish the strike/lockout would have been permanent.
I have interest in US National Sports Teams (Soccer and Hockey), but that's a different category.

Brewers

Bears

Chelsea

UWM

WI

German soccer team

Im curious:since you are a Brewers/Bears fan do you hate the Chicago cubs in baseball and the Packers in football? Also who you became a fan of both team?

MLB - Brewers

Scottish Premier League Soccer - Aberdeen FC

English Premiership - Newcastle FC

English Championship - Doncaster Rovers

Serie A - Fiorentina

NFL - Packers

College Basketball - Gonzaga (I have a buddy in Spokane!)

Golf - Rory McIlroy

Tennis - Andy Murray

International Soccer - Scotland, and who is ever playing against England!

No hockey

No NBA

Certainly no NASCAR

Soccer, really any mid-level league or higher is always great to watch
I just can't get into it. It seems more boring than golf to me. Indoor soccer can be fun to watch. I'm not trying to pick a fight or blast fans of soccer, I'm just interested in what makes it fun to watch to the fans.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

For me, it's the conditioning/fitness & skill involved. I know the sport can sometimes live up to

, but honestly it's a very physical game & requires tons of skill to play well.

Also, plays/players like this suck. That is all.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Baseball: Brewers / Rays (I live near Tampa)

Pro Football: Packers

College Football: Wisconsin / Florida

Soccer: Santos Laguna (Mexico Soccer) - They've been in the final a lot the past few years, but haven't won the title since I last lived in Mexico. Always runner up :/.

Hockey: Tampa Bay Lighting

College Basketball: Wisconsin

Soccer, really any mid-level league or higher is always great to watch
I just can't get into it. It seems more boring than golf to me. Indoor soccer can be fun to watch. I'm not trying to pick a fight or blast fans of soccer, I'm just interested in what makes it fun to watch to the fans.

I think it is the build up and anticipation of the play. As you watch more of it, you begin to see the play develop in front of you. Even if a goal isn't scored, the build up of a play can bring a lot of excitement as you see attack followed by counter attack. Think about when Landon Donovan scored to push the US on to the second round of the WC. The build up to the shot was exciting enough...and then when one goes in... pandemonium, ecstasy! Yes, the actual scoring is more limited, but every close call is exciting...you literally hold your breath hoping that shot is the difference maker. One mistake can be disaster.

One other positive is that there are much fewer pauses in the action. There is no 5 second play followed by 30 seconds of standing around (american football). A break away or big save can happen at any moment with the right pass that is made at just the right moment.

Santos Laguna

I guess I have a team to root for now in the Mexican Primera.

And very well-said about the game's appeal.

They are a very well run club in that they seem to make wise player additions that keep the team competetive. They have a high octane offense and are absolutely deadly on the counter. And have Oswaldo Sanchez as their goalkeeper. He's getting older, but still is probably one of the better goalkeepers playing in Mexico.

Plus, the city of Torreón (where Santos Laguna play) is like a little Milwaukee. It´s home of one of the largest Corona factories in Mexico (thus the reason their stadium is called Estadio Corona), and the city is also known for being the chief milk and cheese producer in Mexico (home of the Lala milk/cheese company). Also home to the a John Deer tractor plant. The only difference is, of course, the weather as Torreón is located in the middle of the desert and has more dust storms than snowstorms.

1. Packers

2. Brewers

3. Buffalo Sabres

4. US Soccer/Hockey

5. LA Galaxy

The first two are obvious, but after that I decided I couldn't root for a connecting state hockey team. I decided to root for a good friend of mine's team, seeing I lived with him. I love US sports in the Olympics and World Cup. Recently I've started watching some soccer online and on FSN, mostly MLS. I've tried watching most of the teams, but decided on LA.

1. Brewers

2. Packers
3. Liverpool FC
4. New York Islanders
5. Badgers(football, hockey, basketball)

Those are the teams I actively follow. Other teams that I do not actively follow but root for...

KC Royals
Idaho football
Crystal Palace FC
Derby County FC
Portland Timbers

Edmonton Oilers

They are a very well run club in that they seem to make wise player additions that keep the team competetive. They have a high octane offense and are absolutely deadly on the counter. And have Oswaldo Sanchez as their goalkeeper. He's getting older, but still is probably one of the better goalkeepers playing in Mexico.

Plus, the city of Torreón (where Santos Laguna play) is like a little Milwaukee. It´s home of one of the largest Corona factories in Mexico (thus the reason their stadium is called Estadio Corona), and the city is also known for being the chief milk and cheese producer in Mexico (home of the Lala milk/cheese company). Also home to the a John Deer tractor plant. The only difference is, of course, the weather as Torreón is located in the middle of the desert and has more dust storms than snowstorms.

Those are some crazy similarities! I definitely have to back Santos Laguna now.

brettac1]I was one of those guys who didn't care for [soccer] for a long time, but I decided to make a legitimate attempt to get into it, and I am glad I did.
Same here.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

1(a) - Packers

1(b) - Brewers

after that, I'm still a pretty big fan of

Badgers Football

Badgers Basketball

Pittsburgh Penguins hockey (been a fan since Jagr was there)

Team Canada hockey

I also cheer for the Bucks, Ray Allen's team (currently the Celtics), and Bulls. I was a huge Jordan fan, so the Bulls still have a spot in my heart.

1. Brewers

2. UW Basketball

3. Packers

4. UW Football

5. Marquette Basketball

6. UWM Basketball

7. Bucks.

The last two I'll root for and go to maybe a game or two per year, but I'm not too heartbroken if they don't have a good team.

Oakland was my favorite AL team from ~2000 til a couple years ago, and my fandom really picked up when they had Zito/Mulder/Hudson. Haven't paid too much attention to them in a while though. For whatever reason, I've really liked Pac-10 (12) basketball the past few years. I became a fan of WSU when Dick Bennett went there and then stayed when Tony took over. It got me to to follow the conference in general and I loved watching guys like Brandon Roy, Russell Westbrook/Kevin Love, James Harden, Ryan Anderson etc.

bigredrobbo wrote:

Scottish Premier League Soccer - Aberdeen FC

Dammit - ye've discovered ma secret identity!

On the subject of football - I still have a problem calling it soccer - I'm done trying to explain the charms of the beautiful game to US non-believers. If you get it, great - if not, it's like when people who love NASCAR try to explain its appeal to me. Apparently, you have to pick a driver to follow. I asked, "isn't that just like being a fan of roulette"? "GO 17 Black!!!" http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Archived