Brewer Fanatic

It's almost 1/1 and you know what that means...

JET15

It's only one more month and Lindy's MLB Preview hits the rack!

No, I don't work for them. I just actually look forward to the day it's published because I read them. Hey, it's got cool ratings and one-paragraph "scouting reports". I start with the Crew, then it's on to the Cards, Cubs, Reds. and those other two NLCD teams. Then I usually read the other NL teams before going onto the AL. I know, I'm pathetic.

Does anyone have a preseason rag that they love more than Lindy's?

Happy New Year

Brew Crew: Don't Let Me Down

Lindy's is good. I also have liked the feel and look of Athlon's. Not sure if they still publish that.

I picked up the Shandler 2012 yesterday to do some fantasy research. I only wish they didn't use such a small font in the issue. Not good for these aging eyes.

To me, I know the season is getting closer when football playoffs are underway.

• 4 weeks later...
Lindy's is good. I also have liked the feel and look of Athlon's. Not sure if they still publish that.

I picked up the Shandler 2012 yesterday to do some fantasy research. I only wish they didn't use such a small font in the issue. Not good for these aging eyes.

For some reason I'm also a fan of Athlon's, and they have published it through last year at least. I am assuming that it will still be in print this year, as that and the media guide are kind of a rite of spring for me bringing in the baseball season.

i only get the prospect handbook and baseball prospectus. the problem with these books is that they are published so early most of free agency is not accounted for. for example prince's projections have obviously changed by him signing with detroit. since i no longer play fantasy, its fun to just look through these books to read the projections and the scouting reports. they were very nice too for when the brewers made a trade and got minor leaguers back i would reference it right away to see what was said about him.

Mine arrived in the mail a couple of days ago. If you purchased through Shandler's web site you get the book in PDF form and the projections get updated in March. That way you can blow the font up to 400% if you need to. http://www.ezboard.com/intl/aenglish/images/emoticons/smile.gif I like that the player "blurbs" are much longer this year (he's squeezing in 7 players per page instead of 9).

I like Shandler's general philosophy to projecting and preparing for fantasy drafts. His mantra of "draft skills, not stats" is helpful when mining for sleepers. It's funny, the book costs more than my fantasy league fees, but all the essays and projections keep me busy for weeks so it's still a good buy.

edit: Shandler brings up a new format that piqued my interest: "draft-and-hold". Often times, the owner that is most vigilant in the free agent pool ends up winning the whole thing. A D&H format puts most or all the value on being able to draft well. You draft either 40 or 50 players (minors definitely included), set your lineup weekly (23 active players), and get no free agent pickups (or monthly auction bids to help replace injured players or players who have lost their jobs). It sounds fun to me because I love drafting and would be completely different from my other league. Plus there would be minimal in-season tinkering needed (daily leagues become a burden to me if I have more than one). Has anyone played in a league like this?

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

Does Shandler do skill grades like Lindy's did last year? It may be just the thing to keep me going til opening day
Brew Crew: Don't Let Me Down

Does Shandler do skill grades like Lindy's did last year? It may be just the thing to keep me going til opening day
The Mayberry Method grades power, speed, expected batting average, and playing time on a 0-5 scale. This method attempts to measure a player's skills, not to project how many runs or RBI he may have at seasons end. Five tool players like Braun and Carlos Gonzalez top the list.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

Archived