Brewer Fanatic

Cardinals sign Carlos Beltran to a two-year deal

chadomac

Although we have to wait to see the money in this deal, with only two guaranteed years, I'm betting this one is good for the Cards.

He obviously has had trouble staying healthy, and I'm not sure that he can play CF next season. Regardless, dude can still hit, and definitely makes them a better team next year.

Although we have to wait to see the money in this deal, with only two guaranteed years, I'm betting this one is good for the Cards.

He obviously has had trouble staying healthy, and I'm not sure that he can play CF next season. Regardless, dude can still hit, and definitely makes them a better team next year.

2/$26M it's a pretty damn good deal for them even though he's 34, they aren't in it for too long.

I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

You guys have seen those bumperstickers that say, "I'm already against the next war"? I think I can apply that general concept to STL signings, and thus begin to predict which MLB players are going to drive me crazy in 2012. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/indifferent.gif
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

At the risk of being totally unoriginal, I saw the details of the deal and though "what a great deal" for the Cards. It's really a perfect fit with Berkman moving to first. You can't replace Pujols, but this reduces the impact of his loss. The Brewers should be so lucky in replacing Fielder.

Well now we know who's going to be comeback player of the year.

Not Beltran that's for sure. He had a really solid year last year.

This is a good deal for the Cardinals, they are probably the favorites for the division now, especially if Wainwright comes back healthy.

And with Wainwright back, wow, watch out. I like their lineup still (even without Albert) because Freese blew up last year and should build on that success and keep improving. Their pitching is just as good as Milwaukee and I love their team overall. They're my pick to win the NL Central.

Great signing by Cards. If Wainwright is 80% of the guy he was before surgery, they will be very tough to deal with.

But they've got some age. Carpenter will be 37 next year and he logged about 275 innings in 2011. Berkman will be 36 and might find it hard to repeat his season too.

The back end of their rotation is nothing special though that's as of now.

Great deal for the Cards. Injuries are a huge risk with Beltran but the contract is short and there isnt a ton of money on it. Last was a healthy year for him and he missed 20 plus games. The two previous years he played 81, and 64 games. Obviously, since he is going to the Cards he will be healthy all year and he will put up monster numbers.

Wainwright coming back is huge but they also look lose both Octavio Dotel and Edwin Jackson who played important roles down the stretch. I think this signing makes them the favorite but they have serious question marks. The health of Furcal, Beltran and Wainwright. Whether or not Berkman continues with similar numbers from last year. This a team that was an Atlanta collapse from from missing the playoffs and they lost their best hitter and their 3 starter and one of their top bullpen guys

The Cardinals always seem to find a way to make the key trades/signings to put them over the top. Turning a "washed up" Berkman into an MVP candidate, making the trade to solidify their starting rotation/bullpen last year at the deadline, and signing Beltran to a low-risk, 2 year deal could pay huge dividends. Of course, he will surely blow up for 30 HR, .290 BA, and .380 OBP as a Cardinal while playing a nice OF for them. They somehow always do it...

Great signing by Cards. If Wainwright is 80% of the guy he was before surgery, they will be very tough to deal with.

But they've got some age. Carpenter will be 37 next year and he logged about 275 innings in 2011. Berkman will be 36 and might find it hard to repeat his season too.

Health via age to multiple key cogs is the only big thing i'd worry about if i was a Cardinals fan.

i guess a second motivation was that Craig is supposed to be out for the first two months of the season. that sounds kinda familiar. and CBS said that he gets a full no-trade clause.

very reasonable money and years, and Beltran gets to see what a Division race looks like.

The Cards definitely look good for next year. CIN, MIL, and STl are going to be battling for the title next year while PIT, CHI, and HOU get pounded relentlessy (Especially if it is true that the Cubs are trying to blow up the team).

Free, Beltran, Berkman, Holiday, and Furcal is a really good group but there are tons of injury concerns and who knows if Berkman can duplicate what he did last year. Garcia, Carp, and Wainright is a real tough 1-2-3 as well.

Archived