Brewer Fanatic

White Sox extend John Danks - 5 years, $65 million

GoudaBrew

MLBTR Link

I'm sure most are thinking.....what does this mean for a possible Marcum/Greinke extension? Danks, too, was set to be a free agent following 2012.

Danks and Marcum are pretty comparable in my opinion. Danks is more durable and has accumulated more WAR than Marcum. He was probably set to make a little more in arbitration than Marcum too. Maybe the Brewers could lock Marcum up for 4 years, ~$50 million?

Greinke is in another class, in my opinion. He's set to make $13.5 million in 2012. I would think it would take a 5 year, $80 million extension for Greinke to stay long-term.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

Danks is worth a lot more to the White Sox than Marcum is the the Brewers. Danks is the de-facto ace of their staff. Gallardo is the ace of the Brewer staff, not Marcum. He's younger (by more than 3 years than Marcum too and has never had arm trouble). Danks also has better stuff than Marcum.

Brewers would be asking for trouble giving Marcum a $50 million (see Jeff Suppan) dollar deal Same goes for giving Greinke $80 million (see John Lackey).

Frankly the White Sox overpaid. But the fact that Danks doesn't turn 27 until April would have made him very attractive had he gone to FA next year.

Nothing about Shaun Marcum is comparable to Jeff Suppan.

The last two seasons Marcum is 26-15, 64GS, 3.59ERA, 396ip, 3.23K:BB ratio. Those are All Star numbers. Suppan has never had one season as good as Marcum's, let alone two in a row.

If anything, Marcum is more comparable to CJ Wilson.

A 4/50 deal is the equivelant of what we gave Wolf. (He signed something like a 3 yr 33?) ... So Wolf at $11 per year or Marcum at $12.5. I am good with that.

Also, I really hope we can lock up Greinke. $16/ year for Greinke is money well spent IMO. To have a top 3 of Gallardo, Greinke and Marcum is a good staff. Then add in Narveson, Estrada, Peralta, etc you can fill out the 4/5 spots after the 2012 season when Wolf leaves. Pitching is important and the Brewers cannot afford the Lackey / Sabathia contracts that are 7 years at $20+ per year.

Brewers would be asking for trouble giving Marcum a $50 million (see Jeff Suppan) dollar deal Same goes for giving Greinke $80 million (see John Lackey).

This is self-parody. I don't even know where to start. For a guy who accuses other people of "fuzzy thinking" because they don't understand how Corey Hart will magically decline with Prince Fielder gone . . . I don't know, what's south of "fuzzy"? Plush? No, we like that word here. Bushy? No, that could be seen as a political jab. Dense? Tangled? Mossy?

There seem to be quite a few reasonable extensions being handed out to good SP recently. I think that bodes well for the Brewers if they are still looking to extend Greinke and Marcum. I doubt they'd go four with Marcum, but somewhere around 3/$36 with a 4th year option/buyout would probably be in the ballpark. FIB4brew's original thought of 5/$80 for Greinke is probably close as well. Whether they can afford to extend them with Aramis on the books is the question, but if Attanasio and Melvin find a way to fit them in the budget, I'd be pretty happy. I'd love to see the Crew able to hold onto Yo, Greinke and Marcum and gradually work the prospects into the rotation. We'd probably need a $110+MM payroll in 2014 to handle both of these extensions, but maybe the new TV deal and continued record ticket sales (at higher prices) make that a possibility.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Back to the Danks extension....it does seem really strange for Kenny Williams to come out and say they are re-building and then extend a good, but not great young pitcher. Danks isn't the type of pitcher you build your team around. And while the money isn't outrageous, Danks didn't take a hometown discount either. I would have thought Danks could net 3-4 solid prospects, but apparently Kenny didn't like the offers he was getting.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

Danks really isn't that good, but he's young and could still improve. Marcum has been the better pitcher, but I can't see him bringing this much on the open market due to his age, he will likely decline during his next contract. On the other hand, this signals that Greinke will easily command well over $15MM (probably closer to $20MM) per if he hits the market.

I would have thought Danks could net 3-4 solid prospects, but apparently Kenny didn't like the offers he was getting.

Well, he has plenty more time to entertain trade offers now. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Danks really isn't that good

A guy who put up three consecutive seasons with a sub-4 ERAs, pitching half his games each season at The Cell, is pretty impressive. He was hampered by an oblique injury mid-season, which could explain his regression in ERA.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived