Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Cesar Izturis

Invader3K
I'm surprised he'd take a minor league deal and couldn't get anything better. He's a former gold glover with mediocre numbers who doesn't strike out a lot. If you're doing a straight position by position comparison of 2011 vs 2012, this is a clear upgrade over Wilson/Counsel. No doubt in my mind that he ends up on the Major League roster and he ends up with 30-50 starts.
Formerly Andersoc420

Apropos of nothing (or almost nothing), whenever I see "Cesar" spelled the way Mr. Izturis spells it, I always think of the "Hungry Hungry Homer" episode of The Simpsons:

Ghost of Cesar Chavez: I am the spirit of Cesar Chavez.

Homer: Then why do you look like Cesar Romero?

Ghost of Cesar Chavez: Because you don't know what Cesar Chavez looks like.

For the uniform-number obsessed, Cesar Izturis hasn't been assigned a number just yet, but several other non-roster invitees have:

Mike Rivera changes to no. 25 (so Alex Gonzalez can wear 11)

Travis Ishikawa will wear no. 45

Edwin Maysonet changes to no. 29 (so I guess Dale really isn't coming back)

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I like this. You need a backup SS with whom, ideally, you'd also be very comfortable as your everyday starting SS. Not much of a bat, but you wouldn't expect your backup SS to bat much better than .250. If he can do that with his standard stellar D, this is a very, very good move.

Basically just the flip side of a YuniB coin. His bat is completely awful, and is slightly above average with the glove if he isn't hurt. Another SS who has been labeled the worst player in MLB on occasion. Better pray this guy never ends up starting regularly or the SS position is in the same if not worse position than it was last year.

Not a bad signing. I would prefer somebody who could hit RHP better as the backup though. If he can stay healthy he might be a better option to start than Gonzalez. Depends on how well Gonzalez hits. I will have to give it some more thought.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I don't see how Aoki would be a moneyball play really. I guess the posting bidding came out cheaper than expected, but that's about all I can see there. Regarding Izturis, getting some guys in on minor league deals with major league invites is something Melvin does every year.

• 6 months later...
I don't think anyone thought he was good, it's just someone who was cheap needed to backup Gonzalez. If things would have went well, he rarely would have seen the field. The guy is awful, but so are the other alternatives. I don't see why everyone is so up in arms between Izturis, Ransom and Maysonet...they are all just different forms of blech that teams are forced to play without an adequate replacement. An alternative was to resign Hairston, but that cost real money and the payroll was already stretched. If we were making a run, we'd probably go out and get a Hairston type. We aren't so we're stuck with blech.

Nah, doesn't really seem embarrassing for you, RockCo. *This* would be embarrassing:
Key is whether he's healthy or not.  If he is, he might even push Gonzalez.

Maybe he pushed Gonzalez into 2nd causing an awful slide which caused the ACL tear.

I don't think anyone thought he was good, it's just someone who was cheap needed to backup Gonzalez. If things would have went well, he rarely would have seen the field. The guy is awful, but so are the other alternatives. I don't see why everyone is so up in arms between Izturis, Ransom and Maysonet...they are all just different forms of blech that teams are forced to play without an adequate replacement. An alternative was to resign Hairston, but that cost real money and the payroll was already stretched. If we were making a run, we'd probably go out and get a Hairston type. We aren't so we're stuck with blech.

You forgot Bianchi.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived