Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Cesar Izturis

Invader3K

Pretty much our backup shortstop by default, unless another signing is on the way.

(...and if there is another signing on the way, I assume Izturis would end up taking Taylor Green's bench spot, in favor of letting Green play every day in AAA.)

At one time was maybe the best ss in baseball. Don't know how his numbers bear out the last few years. Good at 2B and ss. Missed almost all of last year to injury, so maybe that explains the minor league deal. If he's healthy he'll make the team.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

This is exactly the kind of move I figured the team would make. Bring in a glove first guy who can handle the middle infield slot.

I think you next look to acquire a young player who fits the same bill - but with a little upside - maybe an outside chance at starting some day. I'm not talking a major prospect or anything, just a guy with 'utility infielder' written all over him, who might, if given the chance, be a solid starter. Let this guy battle it out with Izturis for the back up spot. If he loses, he heads to Nashville as depth. Not sure who this guy is, but it would be my plan.

Good signing. We needed someone who could back-up SS, and now we have the guy. I hope he's healthy and makes the MLB team.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Minor league deal or no, Izturis was signed to fill the backup middle infield role in the major leagues. Has had plenty of injury issues and isn't much offensively, but he should be an improvement over Counsell. Bonus is that he's a switch hitter.

Key is whether he's healthy or not. If he is, he might even push Gonzalez.

Good and cheap which is the key. I see nothing wrong with sitting Aramis or Rickie late (with a lead of course).

Beat me to it MVP2110.

I guess it would go Izturis as a late inning replacement at 2B or SS, and Green at 3B or 1st.

He also seems to be a nice guy for the situational stuff that RR might like to do (even though a lot of us here don't) like bunting and hit-and-runs. The positive, even for those of us who don't like that kind of play, is that Izturis is good at it unlike some of the players that were miscast in 2011.

Archived