Brewer Fanatic

Royals sign Yuni Betancourt to be utility IF; $2 million plus incentives

PrinceEatMeat

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Melvin will probably sign him next year.

No, he'll wait until he's around 40 and then bring him back.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The hawing household was already contemplating a KC road trip in June 2012. This might just seal the deal.

Were I a Royals fan, I'd totally nickname Yuni "Boomerang." And I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that if anyone can pry more out of Yuni on the field, it might well be Ned.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Maybe now we can get Escobar back.

I'd have welcomed Yuni back if he had agreed to take a pay cut and serve as a bench player, since we still need a reserve ss. From the article, they're going to give him an opportunity to start at 2b. While his offensive production was semi-tolerable at shortstop, his OPS from last season would put him in the lower 25% of second basemen with at least 300 ABs last year (and that doesn't even consider his defense at a new position).

Like most deals in baseball, it depends heavily on the price, which I assume is considerably less than he made in his prior tenure in KC. I also hope they have someone else to compete with him for the starting job.

Yuniesky Betancourt signed with the Royals as a backup SS/2B. The fact that not one single Major League Baseball team wanted him as a starter somewhat proves the point a bunch of us where making: that he had no business starting on a MLB team! A .271 on-base percentage with defense that is truly that awful just ain't "gettin' er done" (!)

Or just as comically, last year they paid him $2M not to play for them, and this year they are paying him $2M to sit on the bench.

Neyer's pretty excited:

Now, Betancourt's not slated for every-day duties. The Royals are set with young players at every infield position. But those young players do need guidance. They need guidance on not making plays at shortstop, not making plays at second and third base, not drawing walks or getting into good hitter's counts, and not always giving 110 percent. The Royals' young players will be the most well-tutored young players in the American League at those things.

So, kudos to general manager Dayton Moore on that account.

http://mlb.sbnation.com/2...s-yuni-betancourt-signed

So, at this point, is it safe to say that Yuni has eclipsed Neifi Perez and Juan Pierre as the most disparaged player of all time among the SABR contingent?

I've seen a lot of players come through the Brewers over the years and in my view, Betancourt isn't anywhere near the worst player (even regular player for that matter) that the team has had. I'm not sure that I would have given him two million though. I'm not going to argue that he's a good player, but he's not nearly as bad as some would have you believe- nor is David DeJesus as good. The truth is likely somewhere in the middle.

So, at this point, is it safe to say that Yuni has eclipsed Neifi Perez and Juan Pierre as the most disparaged player of all time among the SABR contingent?

I've seen a lot of players come through the Brewers over the years and in my view, Betancourt isn't anywhere near the worst player (even regular player for that matter) that the team has had. I'm not sure that I would have given him two million though. I'm not going to argue that he's a good player, but he's not nearly as bad as some would have you believe- nor is David DeJesus as good. The truth is likely somewhere in the middle.

He's definitely not the worst player we've had, but he's the worst player we've had play a major role on a contending Brewer team. $2MM is beyond ridiculous. League minimum is about right, and I wouldn't want him on my team for the league minimum. The problem is that he's not good at anything and is fairly terrible at most things. Those guys are useless.

Archived