Brewer Fanatic

Rangers win Yu Darvish for $51.7M

mrpackersfan1

Wasn't Darvish the player who spoke out against the posting system and contemplated not coming to America to play until he was out of contract because he doesn't think the Japanese team should make money by essentially selling him?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Wasn't Darvish the player who spoke out against the posting system and contemplated not coming to America to play until he was out of contract because he doesn't think the Japanese team should make money by essentially selling him?

I believe so, yes. EDIT: all I could find via Google search was a comment from his father: "If the bid amount is too high, it's going to influence contract negotiations," he said last week in an interview with Japan's Sports Nippon newspaper. "It will worry me if it's over $40 million." ... but I thought I remembered reading comments specifically from Yu Darvish himself, and like you said, about the posting system exploiting players or something like that. Oh well.

Also, I commented yesterday that I'd be surprised if it wasn't the Yanks who signed Darvish. Well, I'm surprised.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'd have to guess you're right on that, burnzy, especially since Nolan Ryan has been quoted at least once this offseason saying the Rangers weren't in on Prince... I just assumed it was a smokescreen, turns out not.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'd have to guess you're right on that, burnzy, especially since Nolan Ryan has been quoted at least once this offseason saying the Rangers weren't in on Prince... I just assumed it was a smokescreen, turns out not.

I think it was true that they weren't in on Prince, unless they didn't win Darvish, then they would have been way in on him.

Isn't $50 million what Dice-K got? I can't find Dice-K's numbers from NPB but as far as I remember, Darvish's seem to be quite a bit more impressive.

It will be interesting to see how he does. It would be great to see the Japanese stud pitcher the Sawx didn't go after become a true ace, so long as he stays in the AL.

Good thing MLB doesn't have any rules regarding international players. Texas clearly needed him more than Houston. /blue

The posting fee was also higher than total payrolls of the Indians, Padres, Pirates, Rays, and Royals.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

The posting fee was also higher than total payrolls of the Indians, Padres, Pirates, Rays, and Royals.
Which makes me wonder how far $51.7 million goes for a team like the Nippon-Ham Fighters? Is anyone familiar with what an average annual payroll is (in U.S. dollars) for a Japanese professional baseball club?
Not just “at Night” anymore.

I've always wondered what a Ham Fighter was, until I saw it spelled that way with the hyphen.

Doh.

Haha, actually saw that explained earlier today in Jim Caple's article on espn.com....

Darvish pitched seven seasons for the Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters, who play in the Sapporo Dome and are owned by the Nippon-Ham company. In other words, he pitched for the "Fighters" of "Nippon-Ham," not the "Ham Fighters," a mistake Americans often make. "Everybody probably thinks you're out there beating up pigs," said Dodgers bench coach Trey Hillman, who managed Nippon Ham in 2003-07 and Darvish from '05-'07.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

If the posting fee is refundable if a contract isn't reached could it be possible that the Rangers could have no real intention of actually signing him but just wanted to be sure the Yankees didn't get him? They can make some offers, say they count the $50MM in their view of the contract even though Yu doesn't get that money and end up never offering him enough to entice him to leave Japan. Their view may be, if he takes their lowball offer and even coupled with the $50MM they may be all right, if he doesn't and goes back to Japan, oh well at least the Yankees didn't get him.

I've read that there are rules requiring making a fair offer to a posted player. I believe that if there was an extreme case of a team posting a high number with the sole intent of blocking that player could have it's bid removed and the right goes to the next highest bidder. I don't believe that it has been enforced, but the leagues did anticipate that maneuver.

The Japanese team isn't required to take the high bid. I would guess they have layers look at the bids to determine if they are legitimate or not. Remember the Japanese team is essentially selling the player hoping to make money, if they accept and illegitimate bid they get nothing. So if someone offered a bid of $100 million for Darvish they would be taking a huge risk accepting it unless it was the Yankees or Red Sox.

The Japanese team isn't required to take the high bid. I would guess they have layers look at the bids to determine if they are legitimate or not. Remember the Japanese team is essentially selling the player hoping to make money, if they accept and illegitimate bid they get nothing. So if someone offered a bid of $100 million for Darvish they would be taking a huge risk accepting it unless it was the Yankees or Red Sox.
That makes a lot of sense if true. Maybe the Yanks bid $55MM, but the Pork-Fighters found the holiday cheer and give it to the poor old Rangers.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived