Brewer Fanatic

Brewers win negotiating rights to Japanese OF Norichika Aoki for $2.5 million. Latest: signs 2-yr deal

PrinceEatMeat
  • Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd be all for trading Nyjer. His value will never be this high and I think his shenanigans may get old very quickly. He already started getting borderline obnoxious last year playing the role of Plush instead of being himself like he was early in the year.

Funny but I seem to remember Doug talking about some other Japaneses player and how tough it was to scout a Japaneses player and that it didn't pay to try and bring them in since they didn't know them that well. Apparently the Brewers have intensified their Japanese scouting in the last 4-6 weeks.

Hope he works out.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Funny but I seem to remember Doug talking about some other Japaneses player and how tough it was to scout a Japaneses player and that it didn't pay to try and bring them in since they didn't know them that well. Apparently the Brewers have intensified their Japanese scouting in the last 4-6 weeks.

Hope he works out.

yeah, i thought the same thing. he dismissed Nakajima - the shortstop whom the yankees ended up getting - because they didn't know anything about him.

Wouldn't this player need a year or so in AAA first, or is he actually ready for MLB right now? A .298 batting average in Japan equals what in MLB? .258?

Fukudome batted .294 in Japan at age 30...

http://www.baseball-refer...ayer.cgi?id=fukudo001kos

But hey if scouts are saying he's the best Japanese hitter since Ichiro, then I'm glad we have a shot at him... at what price though? I thought our payroll was already busted. Is there a corresponding move coming? Trading K-Rod? Trading Hart? I hope not. K-Rod and Hart are proven MLB players, legit difference makers. Aoki is a huge roll of the dice

a more fun risk/reward/mystery player than the alternative scrappy veteran would be. i can't imagine he's any kind of domino to a future move, though. maybe more expensive than the typical fill-in, but maybe also he represents some added revenue streams. nobody was going out to grab Kotsay jerseys, but i bet we'll sell some Aoki ones. plus maybe now all eight Japanese people in Milwaukee will attend more games.

i only hesitate on trading Morgan because i wonder if he really drove the character of the team last year. maybe some fans thought that T.Plus was annoying, but who knows what the team thought. maybe he's always TPlush to the media, but maybe he isn't behind closed doors. and if he only nets us another version of Cutter Dykstra, then what's the point?

Jon Heyman had projected this on Nov. 21st:

Norichika Aoki. Three-time batting champ is supposed to be the best pure hitter to come from Japan since Ichiro. Projection: $10 million posting. $15 million, three years.

As some have noted, let's really limit the Ichiro comparisons. However, a seeming bargain thus far...Doug's probably in shock he won out. But at least he was in on the dance, nice.

I like that I'm surprised, but I do not have a good sense of how his stats will translate so that makes me pretty ambivalent. A high average higher OBP guy with good defense in LF, moving into a bench slot when Braun's suspension is over sounds great. Juan Pierre without the steals, much less exciting. And at this point I could believe either end of that spectrum.

would Fukedome be a better comparison than Ichiro?
Probably, but the dude is a better Japanese hitter than Fukudome was and has been more consistent. Last year was basically the first year he ever hit under .300 and other than that has never hit below .320.

Fukudome had more power in Japan, but Aoki has some power too. The guy hit better and more consistently than Fukudome but not on the same level as Ichiro.

This is a good move.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I have to wonder if Aoki is going to want to play in Milwaukee, given the current alignment. Sure, he'd get to start for the first 50 games, but after that, if Morgan/Gomez are still here, there's not exactly going to be much playing time for him. I'd think it's at least possible he looks at the playing time situation in Milwaukee, and decides to stay in Japan.

Archived