Brewer Fanatic

Brewers win negotiating rights to Japanese OF Norichika Aoki for $2.5 million. Latest: signs 2-yr deal

PrinceEatMeat
I hope they can close the deal for Aoki. on time. The Brewers need another on-base guy at the top of the order. Weeks has been miscast as a leadoff hitter for too long. He belongs as a #5 hitter in the lineup because of his extra base power. Aoki would be a fantastic #1 or #2.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hope they can close the deal for Aoki. on time. The Brewers need another on-base guy at the top of the order. Weeks has been miscast as a leadoff hitter for too long. He belongs as a #5 hitter in the lineup because of his extra base power. Aoki would be a fantastic #1 or #2.

Fantastic? Is this guy that good?

Adam McCalvy is reporting that the Brewers have signed Aoki to a 2 year deal.

"The Brewers have signed Japanese outfielder Norichika Aoki to a two-year contract with a club option for 2014. More details to come at Brewers.com"

http://brewersbeat.mlblog...s-an-option/

Edit: Haudricourt is adding that it's a 2 year deal, plus a club option.

I'm excited by the possibilities Aoki brings to the table. I think he'll keep defenses guessing at least for a little while...bunt, slap hit, pull, go the other way, not to mention his abilities on the base paths. Throwing arm not withstanding, I think he's going to be appreciated in Milwaukee for all he does.

Well whatever happens they did a lot of good things. They brought him in for a workout first, they gave him an incentive laden deal, they didn't bid a crazy amount. Not many teams that post can say that.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

This just isn't the type of thing to do to a person. If you didn't think you were going to "pursue signing Aoki," then don't post a bid. Aoki made the tough decision to uproot his whole life and play in America, and now there's a good chance he'll have to wait a year just because Melvin decided on a whim to post an offer he probably wasn't going to act on. To throw a little salt on the wound, they made him fly all the way to Arizona for a tryout, which apparently won't factor much into the ultimate decision. There's nothing Aoki can do about it, because that's the way the system's set up, but not a good way to treat a person.

Time for an apology now?

I like this move and love the club option part, assuming the finances arent totally crazy. If he does end up becoming a solid player having him for 3 years will be awesome. looks like our outfield is set for the next 2 years, including backups

As with all club options, the player will be a free agent.

EDIT: I assume the thought is he would still be under team control, being Aoki will only be in his 3rd year. I would assume it is written into the contract that if the option is declined, Aoki is to be released, and would be a free agent.

Does anyone know how Aoki hits vs lefties?

I ask because if Braun were to get suspended 50 games, with a lefty starter on the mound, Morgan has to be on the bench. If Aoki also struggles/struggled vs lefties, then who starts in LF with a lefthander starting?

Not only that, Melvin in the radio interview did mention that they would consider playing Hart at firstbase for roughly 30 games if Gamel were to struggle vs lefties. So if hypothetically Gamel did start out poorly vs lefties and thus Roenicke/Melvin did decide to play Hart at first when a lefty was starting, that would leave Gomez as the only righthanded bat among the outfielders currently on the roster if Braun was gone.

It would seem that Melvin would be wise to scour the unemployed righthanded outfielder market and at the very least try to get one or two on an non-roster invite to spring training deal. If not, could say Brenden Katin be an option for the first 50 games at least if Braun were to get suspended?

This just isn't the type of thing to do to a person. If you didn't think you were going to "pursue signing Aoki," then don't post a bid. Aoki made the tough decision to uproot his whole life and play in America, and now there's a good chance he'll have to wait a year just because Melvin decided on a whim to post an offer he probably wasn't going to act on. To throw a little salt on the wound, they made him fly all the way to Arizona for a tryout, which apparently won't factor much into the ultimate decision. There's nothing Aoki can do about it, because that's the way the system's set up, but not a good way to treat a person.

Time for an apology now?

No, I will still attest that a team shouldn't post a bid without any intention of pursuing the player. I said Melvin normally bends over backwards to make sure players don't feel slighted, so I thought his comments seemed very out of character for him, and I was therefore surprised at his comments. Obviously, his "we'll see if we're interested in pursuing Aoki" comment was a smokescreen, and they had all intentions of at least "pursuing" him, which is good, because I feel the Brewers just added a talented player to a relatively inexpensive contract with only two guaranteed years.

We're obviously a better team with Braun in the lineup, but at least now we should have two guys at the top of the order (Aoki & Morgan) for the first 50 games who can get on base at a decent clip in front of Hart, Ramirez & Weeks. This also allows Gamel to "get his feet wet" in the 6 or 7 spot instead of adding pressure by putting him in the 5 hole, where he would be expected (at least by the public & the media) to drive in a lot of runs.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Does anyone know how Aoki hits vs lefties?

I ask because if Braun were to get suspended 50 games, with a lefty starter on the mound, Morgan has to be on the bench. If Aoki also struggles/struggled vs lefties, then who starts in LF with a lefthander starting?

Not only that, Melvin in the radio interview did mention that they would consider playing Hart at firstbase for roughly 30 games if Gamel were to struggle vs lefties. So if hypothetically Gamel did start out poorly vs lefties and thus Roenicke/Melvin did decide to play Hart at first when a lefty was starting, that would leave Gomez as the only righthanded bat among the outfielders currently on the roster if Braun was gone.

It would seem that Melvin would be wise to scour the unemployed righthanded outfielder market and at the very least try to get one or two on an non-roster invite to spring training deal. If not, could say Brenden Katin be an option for the first 50 games at least if Braun were to get suspended?

Even if he were healthy (and he's not) how is Katin an option? He's a soon to be 29 year old minor league FA (no longer Brewer property) that's never sniffed the major leagues. Other than being Braun's college teammate I don't get the love.

There's still some veterans out there like Burrell, Gomes, Thames, and Nady that actually have accomplished something at the major league level.

I have a question that I've been thinking quite a bit about lately. Why did we win the posting fee? We don't have a scout in Japan. Plenty of teams do, yet none of them decided to post any higher than us? to me thats a red flag. Not to be a downer, I still like the move.

Did I miss it or has there still been no details on the terms of the contract yet? Kind of odd. Even if the Brewers have not officially released the numbers, there is usually some reporting source that is able to get this information a head of the official release.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Archived