Brewer Fanatic

Brewers win negotiating rights to Japanese OF Norichika Aoki for $2.5 million. Latest: signs 2-yr deal

PrinceEatMeat

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"NPB Tracker's Patrick Newman (writing for Fangraphs) said in August 2010 that Aoki was "the best pure hitter Japan has produced since Ichiro" and has good defensive range, though a weak throwing arm will probably limit Aoki to left field in the majors. "

Stats through 2010:

http://www.baseball-refer...ayer.cgi?id=aoki--001nor

From 2007-2010, he put up an aggregate .339/.421/.497/.918. I think he struggled last year to the tune of .260/.350/.360 or so.

I like this move, should be fun if he actually makes the trip over.

Edit: Season dates.

"NPB Tracker's Patrick Newman (writing for Fangraphs) said in August 2010 that Aoki was "the best pure hitter Japan has produced since Ichiro" and has good defensive range, though a weak throwing arm will probably limit Aoki to left field in the majors. "

Stats through 2010:

http://www.baseball-refer...ayer.cgi?id=aoki--001nor

From 2007-2010, he put up an aggregate .339/.421/.497/.918. I think he struggled last year to the tune of .260/.350/.360 or so.

I like this move, should be fun if he actually makes the trip over.

Edit: Season dates.

292/.358/.360 was his slash line last year.

But he is one of four Japanese players to get 200 hits and has ab average slash line of .336/.411/.472

How do his slash stats compare to the rest of Japanese baseball players. I know how good he would be if he was playing in MLB but what is a typical and good slash line for a Japanese player?

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Maybe Doug is planning to know the results of the Braun sitch before the negotiating period would end with Aoki, so he's just making sure this option is available if he does get suspended?

Either way, on paper it seems like it'd be great to add this guy even with his noodle arm. Those stats are very promising and he could make Morgan expendable if he performs while Braun is out.

Archived