Brewer Fanatic

Reds acquire RHP Mat Latos for 1B/OF Alonso, RHP Volquez, RHP Boxberger and C Grandel

Grandel looks to be a really good prospect at catcher Alonso put up a .943 OPS in limited time last year and Boxberger has had filthy numbers in the minors but is just a reliever. Volquez was bad last year. Latos is very good pitcher so it looks like a good get for Cincy

Details.

So with two young 1B prospects in Yonder Alonso and Anthony Rizzo (acquired in the Gonzalez deal with the Red Sox), I'd have to think that one of them is available. Would either be an upgrade over Gamel, or would that just be treading water?

I think there was talk of Alonso in another thread and a lot of people pretty much agreed that compared to what it would take to trade for him, he wouldn't provide much more value than Gamel. All things being equal I'd probably prefer Alonso since he's younger and has "proven" himself moreso than Gamel to this point. But I wouldn't give up much to get him.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

San Diego gets a heck of a haul here, imo. Granted Matt Latos is a great pitcher, a true Ace, but San Diego alot of valuable piece's for a rebuilding franchise.

I was pissed Grandal fell the Reds at pick 12 (ish) in the draft a few years back. Yonder Alonso may never be a a 40 Home Run hitter but he should be a very very good 1st Baseman for years. Boxberger I don't know a ton about, but it looks like he is a year or so away from being an high leverage situation reliever. Cueto is a nice buy low piece that could really turn this deal into a massive unbelievable value for the Padres.

The Reds got an Ace and traded from depth, so I can't say anything bad about it from their prospective.

This seems like a trade that will benefit both sides. The Reds greatly improve their chances of making a run this year and San Diego gets some more long term help.

I didn't realize Latos had been that good over these last two seasons. It'll be interesting to see how much he drops off when he goes from PetCo to Cincy.

Latos is a strike out guy. I don't think changing parks is going to change much for him. He's 24 years old and his last 2-3 years are almost identical to Gallardo. On the surface I thought this was a steal for the Padres, but really it looks pretty even because Latos is legit, young, and signed. The Reds are getting 4 years of ace pitching. I can't think of many pitchers who have more trade value than Latos. I think the Reds wanted to trade away some surplus, and they did well with it. I'm sure the Padres are happy too because they can probably fill a number of roster spots on the cheap.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

Details.

So with two young 1B prospects in Yonder Alonso and Anthony Rizzo (acquired in the Gonzalez deal with the Red Sox), I'd have to think that one of them is available. Would either be an upgrade over Gamel, or would that just be treading water?

I think there was talk of Alonso in another thread and a lot of people pretty much agreed that compared to what it would take to trade for him, he wouldn't provide much more value than Gamel. All things being equal I'd probably prefer Alonso since he's younger and has "proven" himself moreso than Gamel to this point. But I wouldn't give up much to get him.
At this point Alonso's bat is WAY more polished than Gamel. I don't think it's fair comparing Gamel to Alonso at this point.

Details.

At this point Alonso's bat is WAY more polished than Gamel. I don't think it's fair comparing Gamel to Alonso at this point.
Well if you read my post closely, I said comparing what it would take to get Alonso, it wouldn't be worth it when we already have Gamel. I also said all things being equal, I would probably take Alonso, simply because he's younger. Gamel actually put up better minor league numbers than Alonso so I don't see how you can't compare them.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Archived