Brewer Fanatic

Best of 2011 - Music

Godspeed

So I probably just wasted a bunch of your time if anyone actually read all that, but long story short, personally I was disappointed.

Not at all, you answered exactly how I was hoping -- thanks. I guess I'm going to have to see if I can check out The King is Dead from the library before buying it.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's just so much better country-folk or alt-country whatever you want to call The King Is Dead out there. Gillian Welch being on the album is cool, though. Crane Wife is one of my favorite albums of the last five years, but ever since they have lost their way. I think the hyper-literate geek gimmick only works for so long, though. There are only so many songs you can write in that vein before the well runs dry.

So I probably just wasted a bunch of your time if anyone actually read all that, but long story short, personally I was disappointed.

Not at all, you answered exactly how I was hoping -- thanks. I guess I'm going to have to see if I can check out The King is Dead from the library before buying it.

You can rent music from the library? Why not just give Spotify a try?

Crane Wife is one of my favorite albums of the last five years, but ever since they have lost their way. I think the hyper-literate geek gimmick only works for so long, though. There are only so many songs you can write in that vein before the well runs dry.

Agree to disagree about Hazards then. But what makes you think hyper-literate geek gimmicks only work for so long? Has there ever been a band like The Decemberists that you can look to for a history, or is this just sort of your personal opinion?

Meloy, with his creative writing degree, seems like the kind of guy who can push out short story after short story set to music. Its in his blood, his sister graduated from Harvard and writes fiction in addition to being published in The New York Times and New Yorker.

I am really old (34)! That said, I have sold my soul to the Hits 1 and 90's on 9 and Lithium on XM so you guys are probably going to laugh. Also, I do not purchase CD's, only iTunes...

Favorite songs of 2011 -L.M.F.A.O - Party Rock Anthem and Sexy and I know it. There, I said it. Trash away!!

Honorable mentions go to:

Super Bass (Nicki Minaj)

Grenade (Bruno Mars)

Pumped up Kicks (Foster the People)

Black and Yellow (Wiz Khalifa)

Not to be too technical, but Black and Yellow, Grenade, and Pumped up Kicks came out in the fall of 2010.

For some strange reason, I don't hate L. M. F. A. O. I feel like I should, but their music video for Party Rock is just too awesome. My girlfriend saw them at a club in Chicago last weekend, and the one guy actually wears the cardboard robot suit on stage. Of course, they only did 3 songs (I'm sure you can guess which ones) but in terms of "way too catchy pop music" their singles are actually pretty good.

Pumped up Kicks was good too, though not my favorite song from that album. It sounds like you only listen to singles, or buy songs one at a time, but check out Helena Beat off that album. Its a single too, but better than Pumped up Kicks in my opinion.

Not to be too technical, but Black and Yellow, Grenade, and Pumped up Kicks came out in the fall of 2010.

For some strange reason, I don't hate L. M. F. A. O. I feel like I should, but their music video for Party Rock is just too awesome. My girlfriend saw them at a club in Chicago last weekend, and the one guy actually wears the cardboard robot suit on stage. Of course, they only did 3 songs (I'm sure you can guess which ones) but in terms of "way too catchy pop music" their singles are actually pretty good.

Pumped up Kicks was good too, though not my favorite song from that album. It sounds like you only listen to singles, or buy songs one at a time, but check out Helena Beat off that album. Its a single too, but better than Pumped up Kicks in my opinion.

Checked out Helena Beat...good song as well. Thanks!

I do mainly buy songs one at a time...haven't purchased a CD in probably 5 years (maybe longer actually). I remember when an entire disc could hold my attention (Appetite for Destruction, Kill 'em All, Metallica Black, Nineteen Naughty III, Crash - DMB) but that just isn't the case any more...

Sidebar - I have never listened to the Black Keys but have been told that they are great by many people. Any recommendations for their best (in your opinion) singles?

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Sidebar - I have never listened to the Black Keys but have been told that they are great by many people. Any recommendations for their best (in your opinion) singles?

You have probably heard the song 'Tighten Up' somewhere before but probably just didn't realize it was them. Howlin' for You, Sinister Kid, Next Girl, and Lonely Boy are their currentish singles getting regular airplay. I like them all.

I'm a big Foster the People fan. If you watch any tv at all, you've probably heard part of their 'Don't Stop (Color the Walls)' song which is used on all the Nissan Versa commercials. Same with Grouplove's single 'Tongue Tied', which is on those iPod Touch commercials. Love that song.

I'm generally just a singles buyer too. It's rare to find an entire album that can hold my attention for more than one listen, but El Camino and Foster the People - Torches do that, so I guess those would be my #1 and #2 this year.

Hammer as far as the Black Keys go, if you like commercial/radio type stuff a little more then I would start with the Album "Brothers" and move on to "El Camino" and then on from there.

My personal favorites are "Thickfreaknesss" (the album, although the song is awesome too) and "Rubber Factory". In fact if I had to rank their albums it would probably go:

Rubber Factory

Brothers

Thickfreakness

The Big Come Up

Magic Potion

Attack and Release

I dont know where I would put El Camino because I havent listened to it enough, but they really are a fantastic band.

• 2 weeks later...
Not 2011, but The Shins released a new song from their upcoming album on their website. http://simplesong.theshins.com/

I like it a lot, but I also love basically anything James Mercer has done.

I can't wait for this album. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is basically just James Mercer operating under the Shins' name, no? The rest of the band moved on?

Not 2011, but The Shins released a new song from their upcoming album on their website. http://simplesong.theshins.com/

I like it a lot, but I also love basically anything James Mercer has done.

I can't wait for this album. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is basically just James Mercer operating under the Shins' name, no? The rest of the band moved on?

Yeah I believe so. I think it's basically him, the drummer from Modest Mouse, and a couple other musicians from various other bands.

I haven't stopped spinning "Echoes of Silence," "Thursday," and "House of Balloons" by The Weeknd. He reminds me a lot of The-Dream.

Standout tracks thus far: Wicked Games, D.D. (Dirty Diana)

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Archived