Brewer Fanatic

Nick Punto to the Red Sox

reillymcshane

Do the Brewers have some prospect coming up to be a utility infielder in the next couple years that we don't know about? It doesn't seem like a good idea to just limit yourself to a one year deal unless you do.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I can't say that I'm heartbroken about this. Not a fan of Punto. Right now, the lineup has absolutely no depth. My guess is that they are waiting to pick up some crumbs that fall through the cracks come February. As far as I can see, either Lopez/Morgan and Kottaras are the only guaranteed backups. You can't have a bench full of rookies, and I don't think having a lot of young guys rotting on the bench is the way to go either. With the Braun suspension, if a guy or two gets injured between now and April, there are going to be some major issues. I think that Melvin's refusal to go 2 years for Hinske and JHJ could come back to bite him in a big way.

The real problem is that our budget is pretty much tapped out at this point. Melvin literally can't afford to go out giving bench players 2 year deals, even for $1.5 million per year. It's gonna have to be some guys that come cheaper on 1 year deals, a bunch of NRIs fighting it out and making minimum salaries, or go with some younger guys we already have.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I didn't realize Nick Punto ever haunted anyone. No loss to the division. He's basically a younger version of Counsell. And our lack of a utility IF makes me think either Farris or Wheeler gets a shot, or maybe we bring back Craig for one last hurrah

Do the Brewers have some prospect coming up to be a utility infielder in the next couple years that we don't know about? It doesn't seem like a good idea to just limit yourself to a one year deal unless you do.

The guy they grabbed in the MiLB phase of the Rule 5 draft might be a candidate for that role down the road: Domnit Bolivar

Obviously that's just my own speculation, I've never seen the guy play.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Punto is garbage. He was mediocre in Minnesota, then added 40 lbs of fat and got a little lucky. He was an absolute rally killer for that team in the playoffs when they were putting up tons of runs. I don't get this for the Sox.
Formerly Andersoc420

Punto would have been perfect for Counsell's role, but better than Counsell was last year by far. He's left-handed, which is good with Gonzalez being lefty, and obviously he has the defense. $3 mil over two years is cheap, too.

They should have gone two years on Hairston, but after he was gone, I wanted Punto.

You mean Gomez/Morgan, right? Not looking to nit pick; I'm just hoping Felipe Lopez didn't worm his way back.

Yep. Nice catch. I'm going to have to start calling him Cargo. I've caught myself typing Lopez in a few times when I mean Gomez.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Lopez gets a NRI. The cupboard is bare.

I didn't realize Nick Punto ever haunted anyone. No loss to the division. He's basically a younger version of Counsell.
Counsell is a far better offensively player, mostly due to his obp, but even his slugging pct is higher. I'm sure Punto is a fine defensive player but he's been a terrible hitter most of his career.

You think $1.5million is a lot for a utility player that spends most of their time on the bench?

Melvin routinely gives out more money to equally unproductive players. Craig Counsel anyone? Wasn't he making something like $2-3 million per year for while? Not saying that Punto was the move Melvin should have made. But just saying Melvin has no problem over paying players. Aramis Ramirez is a great example. We will regret that move at some point.

I really wish Melvin could hire someone to handle the off season personnel moves. Just keep Melvin away from the negotiations and decision making when it comes to FA's and trades. He's horrible for the most part. Melvin has been riding the wave of the Weeks, Prince, Braun, Yo draft picks for far too long..and doing little to take advantage of what we've got. . Now Prince is gone and we've got 1 legit season to show for it, and we're on our 4th manager in 4 years. We can only pray that Marcum has a break out year...because that deal might go down as one of the worst in brewers history.

We are going to pay Ramirez $12million per year to play 3rd base. We just traded a future allstar 3rd basemen to Toronto last year for Marcum. Lawrie would have been making near league minimum and we are now paying Marcum around $7million this year, plus $12 to Ramirez. . Some how I feel like we could have managed our money better - or maybe spent $ on a SP instead of dealing away a future stud in Lawrie. When the deal was made I was on the fence.... I wanted to see what Marcum brought to the table before I passed judgment. Now that I've seen Marcum on his best and worst days I have to say this was a horrible move. We'd need a couple all star seasons from Marcum for this to work out... likely he'll walk in FA next year. We are now tapped financially with holes to fill if we want to legitimately make a serious run. The first half of this year will be interesting. If it doesn't work out it will be a major fire sale in Milwaukee.

Archived