Brewer Fanatic

Kameron Loe: Is he worth the money?

paul253
I've seen all sorts of posters suggest we get rid of him because he isn't worth the money. I know Loe had a terrible first half last year, but he was severely overworked. After the all star break he posted an ERA of 1.93. We know he won't be the 8th inning guy with KRod back. I'm curious why people are so quick to write him off. Yeah he'll be fairly expensive, but I'd rather see him in tight games than Marco Estrada or Brandon Kintzler.

Loe has value if he only pitches to RHB's. Left Handed Batters have a .837 OPS against Loe in his career. Unfortunately, Ron Roenicke doesn't seem to realize this and because he won't use him properly, Loe would be better off somewhere else. That and his cost doesn't equal his value, especially if not used properly

I honestly became a big fan of Loe's in the 2nd half. He is a ground ball machine it seems and can be used in situations where such is needed. For example I was at a game where he came in against the cubs(K rods home debut) with the bases loaded and no outs and was able to wiggle out of it because of his uncanny talent to have them hit the ball on the ground

Kameron Loe has great stuff. But only when he's "on" his game.

When he's off, anybody with a bat in his hands is dangerous. So as he proved last year, he's too unreliable to use to protect small leads late. For the 6th inning or as a guy used when you're behind, they'd be much better off going with a cheaper option. I would have saved a couple million and non-tendered him. They still need a utility infielder and an OF bat, and that money would be better used there.

Finding a reliever than can put up a sub 3.00 ERA isn't easy. He did it in 2010 and did it in the second half of last season. If Roenecke figures out how to use him he could certainly see success again. But this also involves finding a lefty or two, something we lacked most of last year. Loe might also end up being valuable trade bait if the Brewers are out of it at the deadline. I'm just worried that they'll want to go the cheap route now that they've signed Ramirez to such a big contract.

A big fat no, If he didn't get out of the 8th inning role when he did, we may not have won the division.

Kameron Loe pitched in 46 of the 92 games before the all star break. I don't care who you are. If you are a reliever pitching once every two games eventually you're going to wear down. After the break, he pitched in 26 of the 68 games and posted an ERA under 2. Like others have said, if Roenecke ever figures out how to use his bullpen Loe will be fine.

What are we even paying him, maybe $1.5M or so?

TBD after arbitration. I think MLBTR had him projected at 2.5.

edit: $2.8 mil projected.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Loe when used right is key member to the bullpen.

I don't think anyone is really disputing this. However, using Loe right means using him against righties in the 6th, maybe 7th inning. Normally I don't think that's worth almost $3 million. But at this point, I don't think there's any better FA that we could get for cheaper so we're probably better off keeping him.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

He isn't worth 2.8M but he is better than a joker like Hawkins who will probably get the same silly amount with extra injury risk.
Latroy Hawkins? The joker that didn't blow a lead all last year for the Brewers and did already receive 3 million from the Angels?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

A big fat no, If he didn't get out of the 8th inning role when he did, we may not have won the division.

Kameron Loe pitched in 46 of the 92 games before the all star break. I don't care who you are. If you are a reliever pitching once every two games eventually you're going to wear down. After the break, he pitched in 26 of the 68 games and posted an ERA under 2. Like others have said, if Roenecke ever figures out how to use his bullpen Loe will be fine.

None of that can be right! Loe is better the more he pitches. Roenicke said so!

I dunno, the enduring image I have in my mind regarding Loe is him coming into NLCS Game 2 and knowing he was going to get shelled, and then watching it happen. He was terrible.
You don't think it was God's will for Loe to be shelled, thus helping STL advance to and win the WS, and the Pujolseses to be called to the Angels? Cosmic dominoes, every one of them necessary.

I've got reasonable faith in Kameron if he's used properly. How properly he'll be used depends on RR and the rest of the bullpen's makeup.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

As you alluded too, I don't think the workload was what effected him since he was actually better in the second half. Loe needs to be used properly to be successful. A GB ROOGY is somewhat of a luxury though, especially at the price he will probably get. I don't think he is worth the money and with the innings last year I could see him struggling a little this year. That being said, I don't see a lot of other options for the Brewers right now.

Archived