Brewer Fanatic

Casey McGehee traded to Pirates for reliever Jose Veras [Latest: Veras headed for arby hearing]

trwi7

This is from the article linked above by reillymcshane

The short time that me and my family were there, I hope that we left you

with good memories and I hope that we, in some small way, made

Milwaukee and the Brewers organization a little bit better than it was

when we got there.

Don't worry Casey you did make the organization and community better than it was before you got here. Class is something always welcomed and those around you are always better for it. You sir were the very definition of class. Maybe even classier than a Cardinal.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saito didn't come down with that Macha-related affliction, so I don't see why Veras would. Firing Macha apparently was the cure and now that number has immunity to said malady.

Note: Brewers.com updated the numbers of all 40-man & NRI guys, and in doing so they ended up changing Veras back to his Pirate # of 43, which continues to be listed right below him also as the # for Randy Wolf. I'm guessing the webmaster was typing, saw the #40, has an episode of Macha-number-induced narcolepsy, then woke up & accidentally typed Veras as his old #43.

• 1 month later...

Apparently, it took McGehee getting traded for almost nothing and not being guaranteed a job to get into shape...

Hearing [Casey] McGehee will enter spring training at 208 pounds, down from 231 at end of 2011, cut body fat in half.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Apparently, it took McGehee getting traded for almost nothing and not being guaranteed a job to get into shape...

Hearing [Casey] McGehee will enter spring training at 208 pounds, down from 231 at end of 2011, cut body fat in half.
i was surprised last year how heavy mcgehee looked when camp started.

like anyone in the situation, you just shake your head and wonder why he didn't have that attitude before last year. as you wrote, i guess the threat of not having a job does wonders for some guys.

So that means he was pushing 20% body fat. Not a surprise to see it was that high, but it always amazes me to see athletes that out of shape.

Not to change the discussion from how 'portly' McGehee seemed last year, but is this Veras guy really worth more than $2 million- especially considering Saito got less? Admittedly, I've seen very little of him, and he's had two decent seasons the last few years, but this will be his fifth team in four years. Looking at his stats, he's actually held LH to a .201 avg during his career. Maybe he will take the Saito 'RH-LOOGY' role.

Saito's salary is depressed because of his age. Saito will hit a wall one of these years, and a team offsets that risk with a lower salary. He also can't pitch back to back days anymore. You don't have these problems with Veras.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

i was surprised last year how heavy mcgehee looked when camp started.

like anyone in the situation, you just shake your head and wonder why he didn't have that attitude before last year. as you wrote, i guess the threat of not having a job does wonders for some guys.

The guy regressed last year and I felt it was in large part attributed to being out of shape. The best non-move of last off-season was McGehee overvaluing himself and not accepting Melvin's extension proposal. If we thought he came in fat last season, imagine the next few years after he was being guaranteed big money. Scary thought.

Saito's salary is depressed because of his age. Saito will hit a wall one of these years, and a team offsets that risk with a lower salary. He also can't pitch back to back days anymore. You don't have these problems with Veras.
Age and injury history.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Not to change the topic back to Casey, but my gut tells me that we haven't seen the last of Casey McGehee in a Brewer uniform. At some point he's going to be one of those guys who's available on the market every year, perhaps as a non-tender next year, and I think there are many fans that would embrace a return in a bench role for Casey.

I'm sure a certain percentage would be excited to see McGehee come back in a limited roll, people still want Branyan to come back... love the Ginter snipe.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Thing is everyone likes Casey as a person. As a utility if position he does not really fit that. He does not play defense well at any position, and he does not run well so that is two the bench aspects that are nice to have.

I guess at times in his career he has shown the ability to make contact and work pitchers, but he is not much of an OBP guy. I think his value in a bench role is pretty limited.

Looks like Veras and the Brewers are going to an arbitration hearing. Brewers offering $2MM and he's asking $2.375.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived