Brewer Fanatic

Casey McGehee traded to Pirates for reliever Jose Veras [Latest: Veras headed for arby hearing]

trwi7
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Casey McGehee is an easy player for me to root for, he's a class act and I'll miss him as a Brewer. And I do think he'll return to his '09/'10 stats. I think it comes down to $$$ and not wanting to pay someone $3 million per to come off the bench

I can't count myself as really having been on the Casey McGehee bandwagon, but his '09 and '10 play certainly made him a favorite for those fans. He struck me as a solid guy (and it's impossible not to love little Mack), and I think that will play well in Pittsburgh. Thanks for playing, and try not to do to the Brewers what you tended to do vs. the Cub.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Take care, Casey and family. You guys rock.

http://onmilwaukee.com/images/articles/ca/caseymcgeheetalks/caseymcgeheetalks_fullsize_story3.jpg

Agreed -- all the best to Casey & his crew. Decent buy-low guy for the Bucs.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

So is it Ramirez - 1B, Gamel - 3B or vice versa? I'd go with Ramirez at 1B just for the fact that we might see fewer injuries there for the older player.

People (not trying to just single you out) really need to stop with the Gamel at 3rd stuff. The guy isn't a 3B. Some might argue that ARam isn't either but he's a lot better than Gamel there. Gamel could never throw and that's a pretty big problem at 3B. That being said, I would play ARam at 1B once or twice a week to get Green some starts.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Doug is making all the right moves this offseason.

I don't think this particular move was a sell low. I think it was a sell high enough. Casey had 6.5 pro seasons against 1.6 to indicate that he wasn't good enough to be an adequate starter/good bench player. Maybe he surprises and continues to inexplicably be a better major leaguer than minor leaguer, but I doubt it. I do hope for his sake that he does prove me wrong because he seems like a good enough guy and turned down a substantial sum of money (which was a relief from our perspective).

In addition to clearing McGehee's salary, Doug acquired a decent reliever in the deal to fill a need. That was a bonus.

Solid work.

Take care, Casey and family. You guys rock.
Agreed -- all the best to Casey & his crew. Decent buy-low guy for the Bucs.
I've got to say that I think this is a great trade for the Pirates. Casey was outstanding at the plate in 2009 and 2010 - I would happily give up a 31 year old right-handed short reliever with a a career ERA of 4.11 to take a chance that Casey's bat is what we saw in 2009 and 2010. I think this is an OK trade for the Brewers but I would have been a lot more comfortable had Veras been left-handed. I guess that's a sign of just how bad the market was for Casey.

Here's to wishing McGehee the best of luck. He was a great guy during his time in Milwaukee, and it's unfortunate that he struggled so badly last season.
My thoughts exactly. I rooted hard for him and it pained me to see him struggle so much last season. I hope he bounces back and goes on to have a really good career. He'll always be a Brewer in my book. Gave us some nice moments in his short time in Milwaukee.

Not a fan of this. Obviously the Brewers didn't want to give McGehee a raise. McGehee still has some value as a backup infielder, but I'm not sure that they got much in return. Veras looks to be a poor man's Guillermo Mota. If they were going to trade for a middling reliever, at least they could have gotten a lefty.

He's not an upgrade over Loe at all. He's a decent arm not much more than that. Basically an average short reliever.
Disagree, Loe is massive but only can muster 88-89 mph and if his sinker is not getting down he will be rocked. Veras can actually throw the ball past someone and isn't 100 percent reliant that everything he throws is down

Wow, Pirates fans HATED Veras, to a man they stated Veras was expected to be non-tendered.....Oh, and if anyone feels a need t hate Pirate fans, here is some fodder via their Braun thread

http://www.pittsburghspor...&t=8034&start=10

I'm sure the fans of every NL Central team are saying the same thing about Braun, as would many Brewers fans if say the exact same report came about about Pujols if he remained with the Cardinals. That's the real shame about this leaking out, if by some slim chance that Ryan actually did nothing wrong and he won the appeal. Some baseball fans out there simply will never believe Braun was innocent, regardless if the arbitration panel sided with him.

As for the trade, hard to see how anyone would be against the move. We saved some needed salary. Veras looks to be a competent reliever at the very least. Lastly, with Casey gone, he won't be around for Roenicke to take at bats away from Gamel if Matt doesn't start out hot.

I think this was speculated on heavily, but the KRod situation cemented it. I'll agree with most of what's being said- I'm thrilled we got something instead of non-tendering him, let alone what looks like a serviceable middle reliever. I also think it's a great low-risk move for the Pirates, who have the luxury of being able to see if Casey can rebound at all.

Best wishes to Casey and his family- he represented himself well while he was here and gave us two really good years.

Awesome news. I'd thought they were simply going to non-tender him after signing Ramirez, so to get even an average bullpen arm instead is a nice turn of events. They've committed to Ramirez and have Green at league minimum who should be fine as a backup. Keeping McGehee made no sense at all when he's not going to win the starting job back, and would get far too expensive for a backup without defensive versatility.

Archived