Brewer Fanatic

Casey McGehee traded to Pirates for reliever Jose Veras [Latest: Veras headed for arby hearing]

trwi7

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Starting at 1B, eh ESPN?

Here's to wishing McGehee the best of luck. He was a great guy during his time in Milwaukee, and it's unfortunate that he struggled so badly last season.

Veras looks like a pretty good high strikeout reliever. Penciling him in for a 3.50-3.75 ERA might not be unreasonable.

Normally I wouldn't be excited about swapping a position player for a reliever which I believe is a backwards move value wise, however given my dislike of the McGehee situation going all the way back to the summer of 2009 I'm relieved that he's gone.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

This is about what I expected to get in return for McGehee. Thanks for 2010 Casey and helping to beef up our bullpen for another playoff run in 2012. I'll avoid the topic of 2011...

This should ease some of the fears circulating out there that McGehee would platoon at first with Gamel.

I would guess Veras ERA is a little higher because the rest of the Pirate pen allowed his runners to score. He walks a few but doesn't allow many hits and strikeouts more than a guy per inning. Decent return. Good luck to Casey, a great family guy and a nice find by Melvin.

He's not an upgrade over Loe at all. He's a decent arm not much more than that. Basically an average short reliever.
Kameron Loe has a much lower K/9 rate, a higher career WHIP and LHB's have a .837 OPS against Loe in his career (LHB's vs Veras have a .708 OPS) --- In what way is Loe a better pitcher or even as good as Veras?

Archived