Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Travis Ishikawa

derflotr

I really like this signing. I've liked Ishikawa every time I've seen him in San Fran. No special reason. I just think he looks like a good gap power, .270 left handed hitting 1st baseman. Minor league deal, why the heck not. We don't have a legit first base prospect in AAA this season. Maybe with Braun's suspension Gamel can play LF and Ishikawa can man 1st.

A very nice low-risk depth signing for the Brewers. I really like his glove and will provide spring competition at the very least at first base.

He played some right field in the minors too, so he may provide more options to the Brewers as a possible bench player.

Spring competition is pretty much a cliche...Doug has said numerous times March exhibitions don't really play a part in evaluation except for possibly a final utility spot.

Or, Carlos Gomez hitting 2nd....

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Spring competition is pretty much a cliche...Doug has said numerous times March exhibitions don't really play a part in evaluation except for possibly a final utility spot.

Agree with Thumper, it isn't cliche. When refering to spring competition, I think he was alluding to the competition between the players, which is always a good thing. Whether the GM and manager choose to evaluate players during this time is irrelevant.

As others have said, a good, low-risk signing to add needed depth. Since I don't see Green getting much PT if he makes the MLB roster, I'd like to see Ishikawa as the primary LH bat off the bench, backup 1B, possible backup corner OF, while Green plays everyday in AAA. If Green makes the MLB roster, I'd prefer Ishikawa to play 1B in AAA, as there's no way Roenicke would give Green pinch hit opportunities over the veteran Ishikawa.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived