Brewer Fanatic

Aramis Ramirez to Brewers - 3/$32 + $4M buyout for 2015

Outlander
My concern is not is ability to hit. I'd probably expect something between 2010 and 2011 from him (25 homers, low to mid 800 OPS) moving forward, and that's fine... but that's IF he stays healthy. That's my concern, along with his ability to continue playing third base. I hope for everyone's sake that he gets off to a decent start, because he's a prime candidate to be a target of the bandwagon boobirds (high team expectations, high salary, former Cub, de facto replacemet for Prince, etc.). If he gets hurt in Spring Training, or is hitting .232 in mid June, he will be a prime target.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2010: .241/.294/.452 This is likely what the Brewers will get for the next three years. He was younger then.
Link to his BABIP in 2010. Since 2001 Ramirez has batted under .272 twice. Both times he BABIP were .241 or lower (it was .241 in 2010). Bill James has line at .285/.350/.500. That would look close to last year and really good

2010: .241/.294/.452 This is likely what the Brewers will get for the next three years. He was younger then.
Why is his 2010 line more likely than his 2011 line?

2010 definitely looks like an outlier in his career. He has been incredibly consistent except for 2010.

I've lived in Chicago since 2001 and have seen a lot of Ramirez. The one thing certain about him is a) he can hit and b) he drives in runs. Now, you can argue about his perceived laziness with the way he fields/throws the ball from 3B or his injury history, but when healthy, the guy can rake. I like the signing because they kept it to 3 years and the risk/reward is too good to pass up with the glaring need we have at 3B.

I'm good with it because I see a 1 year opportunity for another shot at the World Series. Doesn't really matter if he's bad 3 years from now as we'll likely be either mediocre or in full out rebuilding mode. I know that the Brewers want to sign the pitching to extensions, but after seeing the free agent contracts the last few years it has become obvious that we're going to lose some serious talent. This gives us the best chance to win the division again in 2012.

I'm actually pretty optimistic for next year, especially if Braun can somehow beat the suspension. I think Gamel + Ramirez in 2012 can match the production of Fielder + McGehee in 2011. Rest of team should be pretty similar, don't see why we can't take the NL Central again.

i really like the signing. nice job, DM. three years isn't team-perfect, but i don't think you could as for better years/reported money for a free-agent power hitter than what we got. considering this should be his last big contract, i'm surprised ARam settled for just three years. if it were a two-year contract, that would have cost us $30M, so might as well add the third year for just a bit more. he's obviously not at their level, but if Pujols is getting 10 years and Fielder is looking at 7, then i'm just fine with giving ARam 3.

his flexibility at 1B should be really nice should Green or Gamel struggle some.

every year we have this with new signings or prospective signings where we ignore the good of a player and get nitpicky about the negatives as if there's the perfect player out there that we could have signed for $2M per year. the only perfect player out there just signed for $55 Billion per year with the Angels.

Given the obvious caveat that they play different positions, Ramirez seems a bit of a similar case to Furcal -- very legit talent, but aging & with durability concerns. I don't like that the contract's a three-year deal, but I really like the addition of Ramirez. Third base is such a weak position around the league right now; the Brewers could well wind up having the best 3B in the NL next season.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

since the brewers are clearly playing for 2012, i don't mind the signing. The 3rd year is a concern. Since the brewers will have Greinke (hopefully) and Marcum for only 1 year guaranteed, I think this is the brewers best option to add a power hitter to the lineup. Still really never liked him as a player but hopefully that changes once i see him in the blue and gold.

i have also thought from the beginning of free agency that i'd much rather have Ramirez for 3 yrs than Rollins for 5.

At the least a classic Brewer Killer can't nail us for a few years.
Unless he does it from within, which could be worse. I guess it's time to overcome my memories of 6/29/2007.

Let's at least develop a hatred-softening nickname for him - remember how "Diego" helped some of us overcome the Jim Edmonds acquisition. We've got ample time to come up with something suitable.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I wasn't big on going after Ramirez -- I think believing you'll be better off with him taking PT away from Green / Gamel is old school, conservative baseball thinking. That said, it's not an albatross deal at the numbers that are being reported. When you look at what some sluggers are getting on the market, paying $12 million, for three years, for a guy who at least technically plays 3b is a very decent deal. The contract isn't so onerous that you can't move him later if your window closes; maybe nobody else needs a slugging 3b now, especially one who's sliding toward 1b, but someone will want him later. Now you have solid infield coverage in Gamel / Weeks / Gonzales / Ramirez / Green; add a glove-first backup -- Craig Counsell three years ago -- and you're set.

I just hope to whatever powers there be that this portends a McGehee nontender or trade. McGehee is like a slightly younger, substantially worse version of Ramirez, even if he bounces back. Having both of them doesn't do you any good. If they're seriously thinking of starting McGehee at 1b instead of Gamel, I'll be very unhappy. McGehee at his best doesn't hit like a starting 1b; Gamel at least has a chance of hitting like one, and he won't cost $2 - $3 million.

Given the obvious caveat that they play different positions, Ramirez seems a bit of a similar case to Furcal -- very legit talent, but aging & with durability concerns. I don't like that the contract's a three-year deal, but I really like the addition of Ramirez. Third base is such a weak position around the league right now; the Brewers could well wind up having the best 3B in the NL next season.

Furcal cannot hit a ball (outside of Brewers pitching to him) Aramis is almost always good for 140 games .290 20+ Hr's 30+ Doubles 90+ RBI's and an OPS of .900 plus he is a defensive upgrade. He did have that terrible 2010 season but bounced back to his normal self. I agree though that we are right up their for top 3B in National League. We will pay him 11-13 million over three years. thats not too bad. Orginally I was readinghe was looking for 45 million over 3 years so to get him at 34-to 36 is reasonable.

Next if we didn't do this and Braun is not over turned, we'd be in trouble. Of course I read the people who are like Gindl is ready and this guy is ready but fact is we do not know that one bit and to put 50 games on it is not a chance worth taking.

Morgan LF

Gomez CF

Weeks 2B

Hart RF

Gamel 1B

Green/McGehee 3B

Lucroy C

Gonzalez SS

Not what you have inmind for a WS contender. Ramirez gives us the legit clean-up hitter to keep lineup a float until Ryan's back.

Good sign, needed to be done. Can't complain personally

just a note that this ramirez signing would put the roster at 39--with mark rogers being the 39th player but restricted due to his suspension. of course, that number could go down tonight if the brewers decide to non-tender any of their arbitration-eligible players.

Furcal cannot hit a ball (outside of Brewers pitching to him) Aramis is almost always good for 140 games

I didn't mean that they were similar hitters, just very talented players with similar drawbacks or risks. Furcal's greatest talents are on defense, while obviously A-Ram's are on offense.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Mark Attanasio is really opening up his checkbook for the team. By my math this puts the 25 man roster over $100 million in payroll next year pushing $105 after arbitration salaries. Of course K-Rod or some other players could be traded, Aramis's salary could be deferred, or we might not tender all the arbitration eligibles, but it seems like the payroll will be closer to $100 million+.

Furcal cannot hit a ball (outside of Brewers pitching to him) Aramis is almost always good for 140 games

I didn't mean that they were similar hitters, just very talented players with similar drawbacks or risks. Furcal's greatest talents are on defense, while obviously A-Ram's are on offense.

Is Furcal that good of a defensive SS? I know he made some big plays against us but he made a lot of errors in St. Louis as well. He did not receive a single vote for top 10 SS in the Fielding Bible this year (12th in 2010 and 15th in 2009). Probably the wrong place for this discussion

Three years. Gross. How many first basemen is DM trying to acquire?
This removes any temptation to run McGehee out there every day,
How do you figure? He ran him out there every day last year, and as far as I know they haven't eliminated the 1B or 3B positions from the game. I can see ARam and McGehee playing every day at those positions while Gamel and Green rot away.

"Next if we didn't do this and Braun is not over turned, we'd be in trouble. Of course I read the people who are like Gindl is ready and this guy is ready but fact is we do not know that one bit and to put 50 games on it is not a chance worth taking.

Morgan LF

Gomez CF

Weeks 2B

Hart RF

Gamel 1B

Green/McGehee 3B

Lucroy C

Gonzalez SS

Not what you have inmind for a WS contender. Ramirez gives us the legit clean-up hitter to keep lineup a float until Ryan's back."

I'm kind of surprised some thought the Brewers were a contender in the divison before this and Braun's issue came up, much less the WS. I didn't think so. Then with Braun having to sit for 50 games, I didn't think they were even a .500 team. (I'm not a believer that Gamel is any kind of answer at 1B.)

Now with Ramirez, and Braun still out for 50 games, I'm upgrading them to a .500 team.

It's not as bad as it could have been but I still get the distinct impression that Melvin was bidding against himself. Even at 3/36 million, there's tons of risk on a guy entering his mid 30's. For all you out there that value patience and working counts, Ramirez is certainly not your guy. Don't be so sure 2010 was an outlier either. It took him until game 47 to hit his 2nd HR last year. If Braun's out and he gets off to another start like that, they could be buried. Then there is the shoulder that went on him in 2009 and could go again at any time.

I would have preferred keeping salary flexibility over signing a Ramirez. I don't think he gets them into the playoffs and it makes it harder for them to deal to get what they'll need to get there.

I'm kind of surprised some thought the Brewers were a contender in the divison before this and Braun's issue came up, much less the WS. I didn't think so. Then with Braun having to sit for 50 games, I didn't think they were even a .500 team. (I'm not a believer that Gamel is any kind of answer at 1B.)

Now with Ramirez, and Braun still out for 50 games, I'm upgrading them to a .500 team.

You thought a team that won 96 games last year and lost one key player was no longer a contender? Yeah, you're definitely in the minority on this board.

"Next if we didn't do this and Braun is not over turned, we'd be in trouble. Of course I read the people who are like Gindl is ready and this guy is ready but fact is we do not know that one bit and to put 50 games on it is not a chance worth taking.

Morgan LF

Gomez CF

Weeks 2B

Hart RF

Gamel 1B

Green/McGehee 3B

Lucroy C

Gonzalez SS

Not what you have inmind for a WS contender. Ramirez gives us the legit clean-up hitter to keep lineup a float until Ryan's back."

I tend to agree. The division right this minute is muddled enough that Epstein will soon realize he can steal it and will go out and sign Fielder. I see the Brewers as no better than dark horses at this point. Ramirez might have moved them from 80 to 84 wins. Big deal. That's not going to make me run out and buy tickets.

So the Brewers already had very little LH-RH balance, they are set to lose not only the only impact LH bat they had but one of the biggest LH impact bats in the game, and they go out and sign another RH hitter, so the only LH protection they have in the lineup is Gamel? They will get killed by tough RH pitchers. I'd rather have had Furcal and Green.

Archived