Brewer Fanatic

Aramis Ramirez to Brewers - 3/$32 + $4M buyout for 2015

Outlander
  • Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love to know where he's going to play next year, but I'm guessing Melvin doesn't even know that answer right now. I would really prefer he play 1B and stick Gamel in LF until Braun returns... if they think Gamel can handle LF.

If Green is hitting well when Braun returns, then you leave things alone and get Gamel playing time when you can... if he isn't but Gamel IS... you shuffle A-Ram over to 3rd and give Gamel 1B. There are definitely a lot of options. I guess you could do it the other way around if you think Green can play some LF, but I don't think he ever has.

Man, Melvin does not care about defense even a little.
Is Green that much better than him? McGehee? What good defensive third baseman was available? I think the Gonzalez signing shows he cares a little bit about defense.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I hope we let McGehee go (trade, non-tender, whatever). Having Green as backup will be fine, and he'll get plenty of playing time.

You figure Aram to play about 140 games. That around 20 starts available to Green at 3B. Let Aram start 20 of his games at 1B for Gamel. That means another 20 starts for Green at 3B. Plus Aram can DH for our interleague games. I think that's 18 games (not sure of the exact number, but I think it's around here).

That makes a total of about 50-60 games that Green could start. Plus pinch hitting. He could easily get 250-300 ABs. That's not a bad number of ABs for a rookie.

A major injury, or a Gamel flop, could change all of this.

If you go with an OF of Braun, Morgan/Gomez, Hart - and then keep Gindl or Schafer as back up, you're looking pretty good. I could live with it.

You just need to then sign a back up middle infielder - a Nick Punto like person. And decide on who's your back up catcher - Kottaras or Maldadnado.

We'd lack a big righthanded bench bat - not that we had one last year.

And we'll have to see what happens with Braunie. Hopefully, he's cleared.

Couldn't be more ehh. Nice bat but he plays 1B/3B, the only two positions the Brewers could actually fill internally with prospects. Might as well trade Green now.

As has been mentioned, Green will still likely get 50-60 games started between Ramirez needing days off, Ramirez starting at 1B on some games and Ramirez being a DH in interleague games.

Eh whatever. He's a good bat, but his defense and general laziness leave much to be desired. Plus he is on the wrong side of 30. Just don't get why you use the limited resources you have to fill a position that could be filled internally.

This is exactly why Green should have been brought up and started at 3rd when Weeks was hurt. Then you'd know what you had in Green and he couldn't have been worse than McGehee. If Green was a stud you don't have to lock up $35 million for a guy like Ramirez.

I like Taylor Green too, but he's not a big time power hitter. Ramirez is. Green will be a good piece of the bench, on track to take over 3rd when Ramirez moves positions or leaves. A McGehee/Gamel platoon at 1st seems to be a likely situation, barring a McGehee trade.

Eh whatever. He's a good bat, but his defense and general laziness leave much to be desired. Plus he is on the wrong side of 30. Just don't get why you use the limited resources you have to fill a position that could be filled internally.

This is exactly why Green should have been brought up and started at 3rd when Weeks was hurt. Then you'd know what you had in Green and he couldn't have been worse than McGehee. If Green was a stud you don't have to lock up $35 million for a guy like Ramirez.

The guy who made the decision not to start Green is still managing the team.

I know that DM has been courting Aram for a while now; I was just implying that the events over the past weekend might have caused DM to up the offer a little bit or atleast become more urgent to acquire some more offense.

If the 3/34-37 is true I guess it is an OK deal and probably a steal if he can repeat his offensive performance. Obviously there is some downside here too.

Well, this helps the lineup I guess, but I really wish we would have extended our pitching staff with that money. Let's face it, most likely (99%) Braun is going to miss a third of the season and Ramirez is not going to replace Braun and Fielder production wise. I still look at this season as kind of a lost cause, so I would rather have that money to pay our pitchers.

Well, this helps the lineup I guess, but I really wish we would have extended our pitching staff with that money. Let's face it, most likely (99%) Braun is going to miss a third of the season and Ramirez is not going to replace Braun and Fielder production wise. I still look at this season as kind of a lost cause, so I would rather have that money to pay our pitchers.
Doesn't mean they still can't or that they didn't attempt to already. I have a hard time believing they haven't considered it.

If it is 3/34 it is a good deal. His defense is below average but nowhere near as bad as people seem to think it is. Green to me has always screamed backup so I won't lose any sleep over him not playing, you can't start the year with Gamel at 1B and Green at 3B and not completely be rolling the dice so we had to sign a real 3B or 1B or hope McGehee gets his swing back.

I'm not popping any bubbly about it but I think it's a decent signing at these crossroads if that rumored money is right.

A-Ram's HR-watching never bothered me (Braun does it too, and if anything, I disliked A-Ram from the time he charged the mound as a Pirate against Big Ben) as much as the daggers he's seemingly shoved into the Crew's chest over the years. At the least a classic Brewer Killer can't nail us for a few years.

Archived