Brewer Fanatic

Aramis Ramirez to Brewers - 3/$32 + $4M buyout for 2015

Outlander
  • Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am guessing 3 years 32-36 million. I am happy with the signing and as long as there is a no trade clause he will be a guy we can trade if it comes to that.

So....he turned down an option for $16 million but the thought is that he would sign with another club for $11 or $12 per year? Did he just miscalculate the FA market?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Please don't be more than 3/30. Would be a solid addition otherwise.

I like the signing but it reeks of desperation considering what went on over the weekend.

They were linked to Ramirez before the weekend. If anything it is desperation to replace part of Prince's bat. Has nothing to do with Braun, because Ramirez could have signed last week with the way the Brewers were going after him

I was fine with Gamel / Green, but I realize that there is a lot of risk relying on two rookies. Ramirez is a much safer bet to put up good numbers to help replace Fielder's bat. I'd guess Gamel or Green will get a lot of PT in LF if Braun is suspended, with Morgan/Gomez as late inning defensive replacement. That will allow us to see how the rookies look, and the better performing of the two can get the majority of reps once Braun is back.

I actually liked Ramirez even when he was a Cub (at least as much as I could like a Cub). This is mostly due to the fact that I live in Illinois and all the Cubs fans I talk to hated the guy because "he only hit when it didn't matter" based on their beloved Derrick Lee getting hurt and Ramirez having a down couple of weeks after the injury. I guess I always thought he was a lot better than Cub fans gave him credit for.

That said, he does have an erratic arm, and was saved from a lot of errors by having Lee at 1B. With Ramirez at 3B, I hope Gamel is a lot better than Fielder at catching bad throws because he'll see a lot of them.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I don't think this works out on the long run, but it's done, so we work with it.

I'd let McGehee go, then let Gamel, Green and Ramirez work out who starts in spring training. I'd say Ramirez at 3B and Gamel at 1B, due to Gamel's (in my opinion) higher upside. But Aram should have his first baseman's mitt on hand, get some play at 1B in spring training, and even into the season. I think there's plenty of opportunity for Gamel and Green to both play (as well as Aram).

You could even play Gamel in LF if Braun is suspended. Although I'd be happy giving that to Gindl or Shafer for the time being. Add a righty masher like Gomes to platoon with whomever you go with.

Very good move for the Brewers. They really needed to make this move, especially if Braun is out the first 50 games.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Community Moderator

For anyone still holding on to that 1% hope of signing Prince Fielder, you can now officially say goodbye.

My main concern is the continued preference for poor defensive players. The infield defense looks like it is only going to be marginally better than last year, pending the 1B situation. But I guess last year's terrible D got us within 2 wins of the World Series.

It sure looks good to add Ramirez to the offense for 2012. He will likely put up decent numbers and can protect Rickie Weeks and/or Ryan Braun. As for 2013-2014, who knows. But there are much bigger issues to be addressed during that time frame anyway.

Blech. Hard to like this trade from any perspective. One my most strongly disliked Cubs-- I had the pleasure of being at the game where the Brewers blew a 5-0 lead capped with a Ramirez walkoff HR (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=270629116).

His B-R comps aren't pretty either: Casilla, Dye, Soriano, Beltre. None of those players had a peak that was as long or as good as Ramirez, so hopefully the Brewers can extract enough value from him in the first 1-2 years.

Blech. Hard to like this trade from any perspective. One my most strongly disliked Cubs-- I had the pleasure of being at the game where the Brewers blew a 5-0 lead capped with a Ramirez walkoff HR (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=270629116).
I was at that game as well and it was not a pleasant walk out of Wrigley.

PS. $34-$37 mil is what Ken Rosenthal is reporting.

I wonder if we'll non-tender McGehee or just trade him now? My guess is Doug will want something for him, so he'll trade him.
Haudricourt's blog post about the Ramirez signing said that he hasn't received any indication about the team non-tendering McGehee.

Now that we have Aramis Ramirez, if we re-sign Prince Fielder we'll be a favorite to win the National League pennant. But the Brewers cannot afford Fielder and winning a World Series or 2 would not effect our TV contract moving forward, and the value of the Milwaukee Brewers franchise hasn't gone up a $100 Million or so since Mark Attanasio & crew bought the team. Putting a powerhouse team on the field year in and year out would have no effect on value of the team or revenue coming in.

Three years. Gross. How many first basemen is DM trying to acquire?
You thought it would be less? I'm not sure how we can complain about this. This removes any temptation to run McGehee out there every day, there's no guarantee Ron would give Green many opportunities. This should provide a substantial upgrade from 3B over last season to help make up for what is lost at 1B. It's also a little insurance if Ryan misses 50 games. I'd hate to see the lineup without him, Ramirez, or Fielder. Then there's the bonus that we don't have to see him kill the Brewers anymore (though Prince might take his place).

This will probably be a coin flip between a good signing and a total disaster. I would have passed on this deal, because I never would have given him a guaranteed third year. I think that people are going to get fed up with his defense at third pretty quickly. On the other hand, rumor has it that Colorado has offered Cuddyer 3/30. If that's the case, and the numbers here are correct, this one looks like a bargain.

I think when you are looking at this signing you need to understand who we have as a manager. Ron Roenicke would have likely started Casey McGehee over Taylor Green at 3B without Aramis Ramirez on board. Roenicke will already start Gamel at 1B more than likely. he chances of RR starting 2 rookies is very slim.

Does anyone really hate a player because of the team they play for - so much so that you wouldn't want him on your team? I don't get that. These guys don't care about the teams they are on. If they make mine better, I don't care who they are.

Exactly. A lot of people here hate Yadier Molina. I'd be absolutely thrilled if Molina became a Brewer!!!!

I don't have a problem with the signing with the caveat that I don't know money yet. It's protection against either Green or Gamel really struggling to make the transition and it's probably not too much that if both come out swinging you can't move him to an AL team in the future. Who knows, the Brewers might be able to swing a trade for McGehee in the meantime with some certainty in place now.

Ramirez might even be a plus first baseman defensively if he makes the transition there. Certainly it seems unlikely he's worse than Prince.

Robert

Does anyone really hate a player because of the team they play for - so much so that you wouldn't want him on your team? I don't get that. These guys don't care about the teams they are on. If they make mine better, I don't care who they are.

I'll root for him. Grudgingly. I didn't hate him because he was a Cub, I hated him because he's a d-bag. Home-run watching ***.

He's a Brewer now though, so I'll buck up and root for him.

Archived