Brewer Fanatic

Greinke leaves agency. Wants trade? (Left in 2010-11 offseason...so maybe not)

Chkyhks2and0
There is no way we should trade Greinke...unless Hanley Ramirez is available via trade. I would consider that move to be acceptable in returned value for the Brewers, young franchise type position player. It would be a shame since we still need the pitching, but you got to play the cards your dealt. I wouldn't mind getting a pitcher back, but whoever is going to trade for Greinke is not looking to give up pitching but to acquire it. So we probably would get a nice position player back. Wouldn't mind someone like Votto to fill 1B in return for Zack.

There is no way we should trade Greinke...unless Hanley Ramirez is available via trade. I would consider that move to be acceptable in returned value for the Brewers, young franchise type position player. It would be a shame since we still need the pitching, but you got to play the cards your dealt. I wouldn't mind getting a pitcher back, but whoever is going to trade for Greinke is not looking to give up pitching but to acquire it. So we probably would get a nice position player back. Wouldn't mind someone like Votto to fill 1B in return for Zack.

We're not getting Votto for Greinke. That'd be like trading Braun for Greinke.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Someone really does needs to come out with that Jump To Conclusions Mat, it would be a big seller 'round here methinks.
Before today I had never heard of the Jump To Conclusions Mat, and now I've read two references to it (the other on Twitter). Here's one.

More on-topic: I guess the last few days are reminding me that rooting for the team is more satisfying than rooting for individual players.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I heard one fan with fun speculation on 1250 this morning - Greinke could negotiate his own contract and save himself the agent fee of 5% or whatever a MLB agent charges. Let me just throw out a number, lets say Greinke went to the Brewers and said he would sign for 4 years and $52 million - he would save himself $2.6M in agent commission.

Invader, I was thinking that perhaps Greinke was so comfortable in Milwaukee that perhaps he is willing to negotiate on his own. It's rare, but since Greinke is unique, he might want to have full control over things

There is so much lawyereze in those contracts you need an agent (at least a good one) to be able to go over the contract and make sure there aren't any crazy clauses or loopholes in them.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I've always wondered why more guys don't just go their own way and negotiate directly with teams. If they are comfortable and think they are getting a fair deal, why not. They can always retain a fee-based attorney to handle the legalese. I believe that Ray Allen did this with the Bucks several years back because he knew that he was going to get the league max. On the flipside, I can see why players who don't care where they play hire someone like Boras to squeeze every last nickel out of the various suitors.

• 1 month later...

some player (active or retired) should encourage greinke to seek out representation from a renowned attorney named hope springs.

even better . . . have business cards printed up that read "hope springs: attorney" and give one to greinke.

The fact that Zach will 'talk to them (Brewers) about it' is a big plus from my point of view. I hope they are talking. And Melvin has been very, very good at getting guys signed that wanted to talk and are open. To have Yo and Zach as one / two, or should we say one / one, for 4 or 5 years would be wonderful.

Archived