Brewer Fanatic

Greinke leaves agency. Wants trade? (Left in 2010-11 offseason...so maybe not)

Chkyhks2and0

Melvin said on the radio that Greinke called him up and they spoke for 15 minutes. Greinke said he wasn't happy about the way he pitched this year and told Melvin he was going to have a big year this year (now maybe Melvin left something out but didn't sound like he was unhappy with the Brewers).

GO BREW

This is being discussed in the rumors forum as well, but here seems like a good place. Did 1250 say he wants a trade or they thought this was a sign he would? Right now the speculation that he wants a trade is because he asked for a trade the last time he switched. He could easily just want a different agent to negotiate what will be a big contract for him coming up. If he does want a trade that stinks

While this is all speculation from 1250 and Daily Dish, the timing based on the weekend is mind boggling. We know Greinke is emotional, and it could very well be to make a push for an extension, but who knows what's going through his head.

Is this factual at all? (that Greinke wants a trade) Or is this pure speculation at this point?

Entirely speculation. He could be upset with the lack of endorsement deals, progress on an extension, the way they never returned his calls, etc. It makes sense to change now because he is about to sign a major deal and he should have an agent that he prefers to do that.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Crasnik said nothing about Greinke wanting a trade. In fact, he said it was a blog adding 1 + 1 and getting 3. He said it's just Greinke being Greinke.

The blog is just speculating because on last time he switched agents he requested the trade out of KC. Nothing more.

Hey, maybe he wants the new agents so that he can start negotiations for a new contract extension!

Players change agents. This is not a big deal.

Melvin said on the radio that Greinke called him up and they spoke for 15 minutes.

This is more shocking than anything else being reported -- not only did Greinke call Melvin, but 15 minutes? That's gotta be about as long as ZG ever talks on the phone.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Melvin said on the radio that Greinke called him up and they spoke for 15 minutes. Greinke said he wasn't happy about the way he pitched this year and told Melvin he was going to have a big year this year (now maybe Melvin left something out but didn't sound like he was unhappy with the Brewers).

GO BREW

I'm glad he's not satisfied with how he pitched this year. He shouldn't be. It was a far cry from his best season.

Maybe he didn't pitch up to his full capability last year, but to expect him to sniff his 2009 season again is pretty unrealistic. Those numbers are hard for any pitcher to reach over a single season, and you want him to do it again?

Players change agents often, especially when they're approaching free agency. Wasn't there an interview earlier this season where Greinke said he and his wife were enjoying being in Milwaukee? I really don't think there's any way he requests a trade when he's a year away from FA. If anything, it could mean he's ready to talk to the Brewers about an extension.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Players change agents often, especially when they're approaching free agency. Wasn't there an interview earlier this season where Greinke said he and his wife were enjoying being in Milwaukee? I really don't think there's any way he requests a trade when he's a year away from FA. If anything, it could mean he's ready to talk to the Brewers about an extension.
Sure it is more likely but it doesnt make as good of story.

I think some are reading too much into this, but it will probably table any extension talks for this off-season. How long was Rickie's extension delayed? Almost a year if I recall correctly. On the other hand, Weeks lost his agent unexpectedly, Grienke probably already has an agency picked. Let's hope that it's not Boras.

My first gut reaction to reading this was that this would only increase the odds that Grienke would keep an open mind about signing an extension. Not saying I am correct about this, it's just players switch agents before signing there "Career Contracts" frequently. With Grienke switching now it seems to give the Brewers a window of oppurtunity to approach him with an extension.

With that being said I would imagine that Grienke is going be shooting for a mega money contract, which means no major hometown discount. With that being said hopefully the Jared Weaver contract would help to keep Grienke's value deflated a bit.

Middle of January Brewers sign Grienke to a 5 year $92 mm contract. (With the Braun issues, I need to fill my head with sunshine rainbows and lollipops)

Archived