Brewer Fanatic

next moves???

mancl
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This team is going to live or die by pitching and they can limp by for 50 games without Braun and stay in contention and then they just need to get hot at the right time. I still think they need to build the team assuming playoffs are a possibility regardless of what happens with Braun. The Cardinals showed yet again that just staying in the hunt until the last month is all you need, get hot at the right time and it doesn't matter if you played mediocre ball for a big chunk of the season.

I think we could save a bunch of money by going with Schafer and Gindl as the 4th and 5th OF while Braun is out, then sending Gindl down when Braun comes back.

We then use Taylor Green as the back up corner IF, even using him at 2b in a pinch.

That leaves us with a backup SS and some bullpen help.

As I have it now:

2 Catchers:

Lucroy

Kottaras

6 Infielders:

Gamel

Weeks

Gonzalez

Ramirez

Green

FA????

5 Outfielders:

Braun/Gindl

Hart

Gomez

Morgan

Schafer

SP 5:

Gallardo

Grienke

Marcum

Wolf

Narv-Dog

RP: 7

Estrada

Loe

Veras

K-Rod

Axford

Two of:

Kintzler

Parra

De La Cruz

Dillard

Braddock

McClendon

This team is going to live or die by pitching and they can limp by for 50 games without Braun and stay in contention and then they just need to get hot at the right time. I still think they need to build the team assuming playoffs are a possibility regardless of what happens with Braun. The Cardinals showed yet again that just staying in the hunt until the last month is all you need, get hot at the right time and it doesn't matter if you played mediocre ball for a big chunk of the season.

It all depends on the competition within the division. It appears wide open right now, and even the Cubs can be there if they add Fielder and a couple decent arms. If Wainwrigtht is healthy and Carpenter sound after logging a ton of innings last year, the Cards have the edge in pitching, but those are two pretty significant ifs. Reds can't be counted out either. With no Braun to start the year and Pujols gone, the Reds lineup is the most formidable in the division.

As it stands right now the Brewers are 5+ games better than anyone else in the division IMO (Braun suspension not factoring into my thinking). I will also make the statement if the Phillies don't sign Rollins we'll be the favorite in the NL to get to the World Series.

When does the season start, after last season I want more!!!

GO BREW

Mike Gonzalez. We need a lefty in the bullpen. Braddock and Parra aren't really LOOGYs and it annoys me when they get used that way. They are highly unreliable anyway. OPS splits for Gonzalez least year vs LHB/RHB: .574/.900, don't know why they used him against almost the exact same number of lefties last year (103, 101).

Mike Gonzalez + Loe would combine for 1 shut down inning if you pick their spots correctly.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

Archived