Brewer Fanatic

next moves???

mancl

Not sure if this belongs in the transition forum but I had to start someplace.

The situation with Braun will develop in the next several weeks but Melvin has to make some decisions really quickly.

If he is convinced Braun will be exonerated he continues his off season like he has planned. But there is no way the Brewer can contend with Braun sitting 50 games. Do you pass on Rameriz and go young and cheap with Green? Do you plan on Gindl playing one of the corners? Do you look to trade someone like Wolf and get prospects?

With Prince and Braun gone what do you do to get people into the ballpark?

Tough decisions to be made in next few days

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was about to start the same thread. If Braun ends up missing 50 games, a couple of things happen:

1) You need a LF for 50 games.

2) You shave about $2MM off the payroll and can use that to fill that spot

3) Your playoff chances take a big hit - the dropoff from Braun to a complete scrub could be near 3 wins over 50 games

This all puts the team in a weird spot. We have very good pitching, but will probably suck offensively. Do you make trades or signings to try to fix that, or are you convinced that your playoff odds are low enough that you just stand pat, knowing you can make moves in July if things work out.

A signing like Aramis Ramirez can help make up for some of the lost offense, but he's likely to come at a hefty price tag. I never liked the idea anyway, but see it as the signing you make when you're close and need to get over the hump. Now that Braun backs the team away from the hump, I don't think paying a hefty price for a free agent looks as attractive.

Melvin has likely known about the Braun situation (and the likelihood of Braun being suspended) since October so I'm guessing the moves he's been making are already taking all of this into consideration.

The Brewers haven't been informed and found out when everyone else did supposedly.

I would be pretty surprised if Braun has known about this positive test for this long and hasn't told Melvin about it, he had to know it would eventually get out. And if Braun really is innocent like we all hope he is, then he really should have said something to Melvin along the lines of "Hey, they hit me with a false positive, I'm fighting it with appeals...and that." Knowing there is a chance you are going to sit for a third of the season, as your teams best player, and not telling your GM or manager about it would be completely irresponsible.

I don't think Braun will end up suspended. I believe Braun and believe he will be exonerated.

And I think they will sign Aramis Ramirez regardless

That said, if Braun is gone for 50 games, I think you fill in from within (Gindl, Gomez) in LF and try to ride your strong pitching until May 31st in Los Angeles (Game 51). The NL Central likely isn't going to be the most competetive in baseball and with strong pitching and Weeks, Hart, Ramirez you try to stay in it until the best player in baseball comes back.

Exactly, I don't see why Braun would have any affect on Ramirez signing or not. He's missing 50 games, and Ramirez would be signing for good money and probably 3 years. He's not gonna base his decision on the first 50 games of this season. He clearly wants to play in Milwaukee and stay close to home.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

If Braun's appeal is denied (I'm desperately hoping it will upheld, but...), hopefully it will amount to just the equivalent of Hart's seemingly typical spring injuries, and the baseball fates will see to it that Hart stays healthy this year. Net effect: a typical loss, just not the typical guy.

I Braun is suspended, I don't think it tanks the season at all. The Reds aren't that good, the Cardinals are good but lost Pujols and there are no franchise-saving players left out there (knock on wood that Fielder doesn't sign there), the Cubs are the Cubs, and the Pirates and especially the Astros have a serious uphill climb.

Your playoff chances take a big hit - the dropoff from Braun to a complete scrub could be near 3 wins over 50 games

I didn't know Braun was 9 games better than a replacement level player.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Exactly, I don't see why Braun would have any affect on Ramirez signing or not. He's missing 50 games, and Ramirez would be signing for good money and probably 3 years. He's not gonna base his decision on the first 50 games of this season. He clearly wants to play in Milwaukee and stay close to home.

IDK, Maybe he wants to have a playoff run, and doesn't think it will happen with Braun out for 50 games.

I didn't know Braun was 9 games better than a replacement level player.

I said "complete scrub" meaning a AAAA hack who puts up 2011 Casey McGehee numbers. Erick Almonte would be prime candidate.

Do you really think we are going to replace him with a complete scrub? Besides, a mythical AAAA player would be the definition of a replacement player.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Do you really think we are going to replace him with a complete scrub? Besides, a mythical AAAA player would be the definition of a replacement player.

I'm unsure why we're dancing around words and replacing "hack" with "replacement".

I've underlined, italicized, and bolded portions of the original quote for your convenience:

the dropoff from Braun to a complete scrub could be near 3 wins over 50 games

Now's where you come back and tell me it couldn't be near 3 wins, especially given this organization's tendency to fall for some junk OF after a nice spring training.

Go to the bank and get a huge line of credit to pay Prince. In the likely event that Braun is suspended, the big guy is the only chance this team has next year. If he's gone, may as well start rebuilding now.
I hope that was supposed to be in blue.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

The next step should be adding Ramirez tomorrow. The reason is that his trip will be over AND the non-tender deadline is tomorrow night. We'll need to know whether or not to offer McGehee a contract
I highly doubt McGehee will be non-tendered no matter what happens. If anything he'll be traded. Doug won't just let him walk and get nothing for him.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Archived