Brewer Fanatic

Per ESPN: Braun Tests Positive, May Face 50 Game Suspension (Part 1)

wibadgers23
Braun has never looked like a guy who took steroids. This just makes no sense

Neither did Alex Sanchez.

But it sounds like this is still very fluid, nothing is known for sure yet. The way news breaking/leaking has evolved with the internet is equal parts amazing & scary.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is a reason these tests are supposed to be confidential until a suspension is handed out.
Yeah, but it doesn't work that way. Ask A-Rod, Ortiz, and the other 50 guys who had their names leaked a few years ago, when the testing was supposed to be anonymous to begin with. The whole testing policy is a joke.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
From haudricourt...

Tom

@Haudricourt Tom

Just spoke to someone familiar with the details of Braun's test and was assured he will be found innocent. If so, horrible this leaked out.

Either way, the damage has been done. And where there's smoke, there's usually fire. And all the other cliches you want to throw out http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif
Yep. Even if he's completely exonerated he'll still be looked at as the guy who is probably on 'roids.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The "second test" language needs to be fleshed out a lot.

In most cases, when a sample is drawn, the substance to be tested it split into an "A" sample and a "B" sample. The "B" sample can be used to "double check" the "A" sample results if need be.

It could be that Braun's "B" sample was tested and came up negative. I tend to doubt this and I tend to doubt that that's what the "second test" language is about. If Braun's B sample has been tested and the result was at odds with those of teh "A" sample, the case would already be done. It could be that only now has the B sample been tested and the results not yet presented to the arbitration panel, but I tend to doubt this.

Here is likely what happened. Braun had a sample taken. That sample was tested and a "positive" T/E result occurred. At that point, the sample was sent out for a "second test", a gas chromatography test, which provided a result which indicated that Braun had "synthetic" testosterone in his system. (The T/E test is incapable of providing this determination). This is almost certainly the "second test" discussed in the initial media reports. If Braun submitted another sample after the fact which was subsequently tested and come up negative, that will have little bearing on the results/ramifications of the first test, unless there are some extraordinary circumstancesat work here. We don't have any official word yet as to what that situation is.

From haudricourt...

Tom

@Haudricourt Tom

Just spoke to someone familiar with the details of Braun's test and was assured he will be found innocent. If so, horrible this leaked out.

Either way, the damage has been done. And where there's smoke, there's usually fire. And all the other cliches you want to throw out http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif
Or in other words, people want to believe it even if it is proven to be false because he was accused and that can't be taken back so may as well disown him.

All the overreaction from this thread makes me laugh. You'd think Braun killed a drifter or something, which would probably generate less backlash. Oh well, time will reveal the truth and I will reserve judgement until due process is carried out.

According to the MLB.com article, the first test occurred during the playoffs. However, nothing has been declared yet as to when the 2nd test was performed.

From what I've been reading on the internet, from a few different sites, synthetic testosterone (steroids) will remain in the system for ~7-10 days. If the 2nd test was performed fairly quickly after the first, then there is some hope from this. If it was much more than a week, then it probably contributes nothing to his defense.

I will wait to reserve judgement until all facts in the matter have been presented. It's disappointing that people felt the need to leak confidential information like this before it's official. If he did do it, then handle it correctly and he'll get what's coming to him without this need for sensationalizing it by breaking it with leaks.

From haudricourt...

Tom

@Haudricourt Tom

Yep. Even if he's completely exonerated he'll still be looked at as the guy who is probably on 'roids.

Plus, if Bud Selig ended up being involved AT ALL in deciding whether Braun's suspension can be overturned, i just know that fans of all non-Brewers teams will think that he was just trying to do a favor for the Brewers.

Never liked Braun anyway.

Seriously?

No. He isn't my favorite but I don't dislike him either. Weeks then Hart then Gallardo then the rest. If Kotsay and YunE are gone I like all the Brewers unless they bring back Helms.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Never liked Braun anyway.
Seriously?
Oh he is serious. Logan has never liked Braun. He likes a couple Brewers.

Pretty sure that Betancourt was his favorite and that he spent the other night weeping into his pillow when he heard the Brewers went in another direction. But that is just hear-say. Can't wait for his new nickname for Braun that no one else will use. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

This is what I wrote in the IGT on opening day. "Does anyone else think that Braun might have had some "help" with his new physique? He put on an awful lot of muscle this offseason. Check out his arms in the ad for the cheese Braun shirt." Everyone who responded after me basically told me I was an idiot.

http://brewersfandemonium...ewers-lose-walko?page=11

Archived