Brewer Fanatic

Per ESPN: Braun Tests Positive, May Face 50 Game Suspension (Part 1)

wibadgers23
But to think everyone is doping would require complex strategies and constant reevaluation of doping procedures by the players to stay ahead of the curve. I just don't see that going on. A lot of work and a lot of risk...

Think of how much money is at stake. The players themselves wouldn't be the ones to continuously figure out how to circumvent the system, but I imagine they have connections and access to "trainers" who would. I'm sure the funds used by professional and amateur athletes to hide steroid use dwarfs the funding put into things like the anti-doping agency, and therefore they will be a step ahead of the system.

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like objectivity. I also like the idea of innocent until proven guilty. MLB has know for at least 6 weeks and has not announced anything officially. I will wait until they actually rule on his suspension before I pass judgement.

I hate to say this but the horrible, horrible reality here is that even after they rule on the suspension here you probably won't have much more to go on in terms of objective evidence of guilt or innocence that you do now. They have a test result. To MLB's tester's, Braun is already guilty. Braun is in the almost impossible logical position of proving a negative. There isn't going to be any sort of trial on the merits of his case. There will be a very narrow review of the test and testing procedure. He is, in all likelihood, going to be suspended. Whether that means he did anything intentionally wrong is almost irrelevant to the adjudication.

I just find it odd that there has been no official relase from MLB at this point. Only ESPN. Is that normally standard practice? Figured MLB.com would at least have a vague paragraph saying "Braun tests positive,etc"

Somebody leaked this. MLB probably can't say anything under the provisions of the CBA while this thing is being arbitrated. If it had nevef been leaked, and Braun was cleared, nobody ever would have known. Somebody wanted this out, and they took it to the one of the guys who wrote the book on Bonds.

Somebody leaked this. MLB probably can't say anything under the provisions of the CBA while this thing is being arbitrated. If it had nevef been leaked, and Braun was cleared, nobody ever would have known.

And this is the main reason I believe we should withhold judgement. I doubt MLB annonces these until they are 99.9% sure they aren't going to reverse the ruling. The fact they haven't released anything means they are still in the process of evaluating what information they have. I believe in most cases where a player can explain the results we never hear anything from MLB.

First things first: I don't think that Braun is a roider, at least in the Bonds, Sosa, McGwire, etc. sense of the word. It would be foolish for anyone to be in this era. However, Braun did nurse an injury for a good portion of the season, and he never was on the DL. It's not inconceivable that they gave him an injection of sorts as either a painkiller or to speed up heeling to which they simply didn't tell him what it was for his own good so that he could avoid the DL and keep on playing. Even though he likely knew damn well that whatever he was given was some variety of steroid, as long as he didn't ask what it was, they weren't obligated to tell him what it was so he has the right to plead ignorance if he were to test positive for it. I'm sure this wouldn't be the first case of something like this happening. However, one thing against him is that there is a 0 tolerance policy, and they'll likely jump on the opportunity to make an example of someone, especially one of the top stars in the game today. The fact that he has somewhat of a good guy image, though a bit of a douche could make them even more eager to use him as an example.

"Since being informed of the results, Braun has been disputing his case. A

source close to Braun said that when he was told about the positive

test, he immediately requested to be tested again. That second test, the

source said, was not positive. Those close to Braun believe that the

difference between the two tests will show that the first test was

invalid."

This is the only glimmer of hope

Brew Crew: Don't Let Me Down

It's a big glimmer of hope though Jet15. Since that is part of the process I believe. I thought that when a positive test was revealed, they automatically do a second one to make sure. If the second one wasn't positive, hopefully that's a good sign.

I have already moved on to what the Brewers do next year-anyone got some ideas? I say they move Krod for a bag of peanuts and then go hard after ARam. McGehee to first and

Gamel to left? Thoughts?

I have read that a second, "more comprehensive" test resulted in a positive for synthetic testosterone, and now someone else is saying that a second test (requested by Braun) turned up negative. Which is it?

From what I've read: One sample was taken from Braun and it revelead a high T/E ratio. A second test on the one sample was performed to identify the T increase and it was found to be synthetic testosterone. When Ryan was informed of the positive test he asked for another sample to be taken and that second sample came back negative when tested.

If you do choose to try the chat room, know that it's randomly booting people (we're not doing the booting).
Yeah, it's even booting those who aren't cussing. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

First things first: I don't think that Braun is a roider, at least in the Bonds, Sosa, McGwire, etc. sense of the word. It would be foolish for anyone to be in this era. However, Braun did nurse an injury for a good portion of the season, and he never was on the DL. It's not inconceivable that they gave him an injection of sorts as either a painkiller or to speed up heeling to which they simply didn't tell him what it was for his own good so that he could avoid the DL and keep on playing. Even though he likely knew damn well that whatever he was given was some variety of steroid, as long as he didn't ask what it was, they weren't obligated to tell him what it was so he has the right to plead ignorance if he were to test positive for it. I'm sure this wouldn't be the first case of something like this happening. However, one thing against him is that there is a 0 tolerance policy, and they'll likely jump on the opportunity to make an example of someone, especially one of the top stars in the game today. The fact that he has somewhat of a good guy image, though a bit of a douche could make them even more eager to use him as an example.

Wow....denial is a common stage at this point.

"A source close to Braun said that when he was told about the positive test, he immediately requested to be tested again. That second test, the source said, was not positive. Those close to Braun believe that the difference between the two tests will show that the first test was invalid."

I think this is a very important point here...

My hopes are that the results of this drama will not be that Ryan is forever known as a "juicer", but instead will show that more accurate tests need to be developed and Braun will be in the starting lineup on Opening Day

No, that's not really important. I doubt he took the tests back to back and the testosterone in the first test was synthetic.

All it is, is Bruan's defense - and pretty weak if you ask me - every big star that has been caught has an immediate defense that sounds somewhat plausible...... but given time it comes unraveled. Time will tell with Braun.

From haudricourt...

Tom

@Haudricourt Tom

Just spoke to someone familiar with the details of Braun's test and was assured he will be found innocent. If so, horrible this leaked out.

Either way, the damage has been done. And where there's smoke, there's usually fire. And all the other cliches you want to throw out http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

So how fast do levels of testosterone decrease? Can you go from being 4 times over the limit to being normal in 4 weeks? In 6 weeks?

If Braun is found not guilty the players association should file a lawsuit that makes the collusion lawsuit look like small claims court. There is a reason these tests are supposed to be confidential until a suspension is handed out.

Archived