Brewer Fanatic

Per ESPN: Braun Tests Positive, May Face 50 Game Suspension (Part 1)

wibadgers23

I think in most of these kinds of situations, how the player handles the aftermath plays a huge role on how he is remembered. Look at Big Mac, Palmiero, Sosa.. all just a bunch of liars and it was so very obvious.

Ryan, if you screwed up, do the right thing and make the right decisions from here on out. Start with the truth.

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Come on guys. Shouldn't we stand behind Braun until we all know for sure the facts of the case here?

Yes! And I'll be standing behind Braun no matter how this case turns out. And if I'm the "lone man out on the prairie" that's OK. In my mind, even if found guilty, then I'll think of Braun as a person who made a mistake and had to pay for it. Maybe the mistake was accidental. Maybe the mistake wasn't Braun's and is the result of some inaccuracy with the testing.

To me, its important to remember that these athletes we root for are human, and capable of making dumb decisions or just being negligent in what exactly they are putting in their bodies with all the supplements they take.

I'll still be rooting for Braun no matter what happens with this case...

If you want examples of guys that have tested "positive" and had their results overturned, a number of players from the Mexican national team tested postive for the steroid clenbutrol this past summer at the Gold Cup. Their suspensions were throw out when they won their argument that they had eaten tainted beef. (Mexican beef operations are notorious for jucing their stock).

I urge those of you who want to really look at this thing with an unbiased eye to learn more about the testing system. I think you may find it eye-opening in terms of the "legal" standards involved.

I hope so in regard to most of your post...but in MLB no case has EVER been overturned. I still hold out hope, but it isn't looking good.

For some reason I just strongly believe that Braun will win the appeal

I agree Truth.

To also quote Funketown "First, the most likely: Braun really is on something. He wasn't caught until this year. Not in the minors or five seasons in the majors. If these tests take so long to catch somebody, how many guys are still using?" --- If Braun truely was juicing, that leaves two possibilities - Braun is the only one juicing or he is the only one caught???? Both those possibilities seem farfetched.

Combine that with:

1. Braun's PR statement of "highly unusual circumstances"

2. the "sources" indication of a 2nd negative test - i realize this may have come weeks after

I just want to believe this may have been inadvertant or some reasonable excuse.

but in MLB no case has EVER been overturned.

How do you know? I would hope MLB would only officially announce cases where they are clearly not wrong. I think they know that any exoneration is going to still taint the player so they, hopefully, do most of the checking and getting th players evidence before they release anything. It is also in MLBs best interest not to have their test results overturned publicly.

I'm extremely upset right now, but still holding out hope that perhaps somehow, some way, there is a rational explanation for this that doesn't end with me hanging my head and putting my Braun memorabilia on eBay.

Say it ain't so, Braunie. Say it ain't so.

Honestly I'm no longer surprised when negative news comes out about any player on any team I actively root for, it's one of the reasons I don't really attach myself to players anymore and simply identify with the team. I'll wait to comment further until more details are released, but my initial reaction was along the lines of "it sure is wonderful we have him signed through 2030".

Yes I know 2030 is an exaggeration.

I hope for his and the Brewers' sake that this is all a huge misunderstanding, but I'm not optimistic that's the case given the history of similar claims over the years by various athletes in various sports.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I'm not trying to act self-righteous, but I've called this for years. I love Braun...and the Brewers....but have to be objective.

They can take back the MVP and give it to Kemp...but I'll be at 95% that he's a user as well.

Same with Weeks. Many of you think he's not a user. I'll bet the house. I have experience.

Given the money and celebrity in sports stardom...and the small differences that separate guys making millions from guys you'll never hear of...far more users exist than we would like to believe.

As Victor Conte, owner of BALCO said in an editorial during the Michael Phelps olympics, "you'd have to be an idiot to get caught today. the chemists are always ahead of the testers." At that time, either two or three of over 10,000 athletes in the Olympics tested positive...he was mocking the system. I think there are way more users than you think.

As Victor Conte, owner of BALCO said in an editorial during the Michael Phelps olympics, "you'd have to be an idiot to get caught today. the chemists are always ahead of the testers." At that time, either two or three of over 10,000 athletes in the Olympics tested positive...he was mocking the system. I think there are way more users than you think.
That is the crazy thing though. Braun is anything but an idiot. There are tons of MLB players who seem more likely to do something stupid and get caught than him. If he used Braun seems like the guy who would be well ahead the testing system. I am not saying Braun wouldnt use steroids but if it is as easy as you say it is to not get caught, he seems like the kind of guy who wouldnt get caught. He is a really smart guy and values his image a lot

The did 2.6 and 3.4 the last two years. That's pretty great for a Saturday night. Second, read the sorry. The reporter acknowledged they had to sources (the standard minimum if you're going to run an anonymous story) and Braun's camp released a statement on Saturday acknowledging the test. That made the story publishable. If anything Braun's camp released the statement tonight to bury the story (because it's the weekend and the Heisman is a big story that ESPN won't preempt. They knew it was coming out and wanted it to break at the most advantageous time for Braun, which this is.

I'm trying to read your post assuming some words...but either way...I think it was a nice time for ESPN to post the story. I think the above information is a bit weak since it is Outside the Lines with the news...same group that has been ripped for Syracuse coverage.

Again, if your ratings are a big deal to you (and again, first Saturday without college football in a long time) ESPN can scroll Breaking News on this the whole show. This was the perfect time to release the story. No doubt about it IMO.

Sorry about the typos. I'm on my phone. All i can tell you is that I worked in the media and now I work in PR. ESPN cares about breaking the story first. That's it. Second, Braun's pr guys care about burrying the story. You don't think they'd rather have it on the scroll rather than nonstop Special SportsCenter. This was a genius play by his guys. By the time the major sports talk shoes will get a hold of this it will be 36 hours old, the Heisman will be handed out and week 14 of the NFl season will be all but in the books.

Braunie can say it ain't so all he wants. Lots of people have already irrevocably categorized him. Even if he wins the the appeal, it will likely be on what will invariably be termed "a technicality" (as that's the only real way you CAN win one of these appeals). To a large degree, the "truth" no longer matters in terms of how this thing is adjudicated.

In the end, you can choose to believe Braun or not. What happens from here on out, short of a full confession by Braun that he's a doper, is not going to give us any ironclad proof that he is "guilty" or not "guilty". The accusation alone is enough to taint him forever, regardless of the ultimate truth.

I've heard this sentiment before and I've never understood it. I mean ALWAYS ahead of the testers?? I mean, are the testers McDonald's workers using 1960 technology? These are still professionals who read literature in their field, have the backing of MLB (who work together with World Doping Organization), and have some pride in their work I'm sure. I just don't think doping in baseball is all that prevalent these days. Call me naive. But to think everyone is doping would require complex strategies and constant reevaluation of doping procedures by the players to stay ahead of the curve. I just don't see that going on. A lot of work and a lot of risk...

Very disappointing to hear this news. If it turns out that Braun has to sit for 50 games plus the time needed to get back to hitting well, the Brewers are screwed. This would be a very large setback for the team and for the organization as a whole.
-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

foamboy1]I'm not trying to act self-righteous, but I've called this for years. I love Braun...and the Brewers....but have to be objective.

They can take back the MVP and give it to Kemp...but I'll be at 95% that he's a user as well.

Same with Weeks. Many of you think he's not a user. I'll bet the house. I have experience.

Given the money and celebrity in sports stardom...and the small differences that separate guys making millions from guys you'll never hear of...far more users exist than we would like to believe.

I agree with every thing said here. I'm now of the belief that when a guy gets caught, it doesn't mean that he's one of only a few who actually took a PED. More likely, it simply means he was one of the few who accidentally screwed up and did something that was detectable.

I'm extremely upset right now, but still holding out hope that perhaps somehow, some way, there is a rational explanation for this that doesn't end with me hanging my head and putting my Braun memorabilia on eBay.

Say it ain't so, Braunie. Say it ain't so.

Something definitely doesn't compute here. Braun is no dummy. He already had his big contract. Baseball is a business where there's lots of money at stake. Anything's possible including criminal forces at play tainting something in his food or his normal supplements. Braun may have ticked off the wrong people. Heck Attanasio may have made enemies in business as well.

I think this story is far from finished. Braun could end up filing all kinds of lawsuits.

Archived