Brewer Fanatic

Per ESPN: Braun Tests Positive, May Face 50 Game Suspension (Part 1)

wibadgers23

Even if Braun somehow wins the appeal, there will always be doubts. The public has never bought the idea that an athlete "accidentally" took steroids, and that's not going to change now for Braun (no matter how much we as Brewers fans want to think he's the exception). The damage is done, there's no reversing it -- now it's just a matter of how bad things are gonna get and whether the suspension will hold up.

My first instinct is that this is going to be the worst single incident that's happened to this franchise since Molitor left.

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is pretty much the worst sports news I could hear aside from one of my favorite players dying. I might even prefer a career-ending injury because then at least his legacy isn't tainted along with everyone's attitude towards him and the Brewers.

I feel horrible for the organization and Mark A who has done so much to put a winner on the field. I hope against hope Braun wins the appeal, but I've never believed any of these guys before so I'm not going to start now. This is devastating...and unfortunately the kind of thing that could absolutely ruin this franchise. There's no room for error when you're the Brewers and if Braun is juicing, he may not be the same player we thought he was, the fans may turn on him which could ruin attendance and you can kiss any thought of any decent free agent wanting to play here goodbye. I'm probably being over dramatic, but right now this truly feels like the end of the road for this Brewers renaissance.

Say it ain't so Ryan...say it ain't so...

At times like this I wish I was a more eloquent and verbose man. Seeing that I am not I simply want to shout random words in a very angry tone.

Until I hear differently I am going to hope for the most complex and unbelievable chain of events what can put none of the blame on Braun. Right now I am going with Chris Carpenter and Albert Pujols kidnapped Braun in the playoffs and forcibly injected him with steroids. That seem's like a classy thing to do.

Here's to hoping the story ends up being POPPYCOCK!

I hate to say it, but I am really not surprised by this. It is horrible, but I have long suspected that if any Brewer were "juicing" it would be Braun.

Kapler, yes. But remember, he also trained with ARod right out of college. Maybe this has nothing to do with it.. For me it has always been more of a "I don't think a guy that size hits with that sort of power consistently unless they are juicing" kinda thing.

In fact.... i think there was a thread about this.. about brewers that we suspect have or are juicing. A couple of us did say Braun.

Brewers spokesman Tyler Barnes said Saturday that the team had not
been contacted by the commissioner's office and the team had no
knowledge of a failed test. Messages left for MLB officials were not
returned. Greg Bouris, spokesman for the Major League Baseball Players
Association, declined comment.

Since being informed of the
results, Braun has been disputing his case. A source close to Braun
said that when he was told about the positive test, he immediately
requested to be tested again. That second test, the source said, was not
positive. Those close to Braun believe that the difference between the
two tests will show that the first test was invalid.

LINK

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

"A source close to Braun said that when he was told about the positive test, he immediately requested to be tested again. That second test, the source said, was not positive. Those close to Braun believe that the difference between the two tests will show that the first test was invalid."

I think this is a very important point here...

My hopes are that the results of this drama will not be that Ryan is forever known as a "juicer", but instead will show that more accurate tests need to be developed and Braun will be in the starting lineup on Opening Day

They wouldn't release it 25 minutes before a heisman ceremony that's already going to get good ratings because the winner is in doubt. They'd do it on a night when they have poker reruns or something else they could preempt.

I don't think the Heisman show is really a great ratings draw to be honest. And ESPN keeps reporting that Outside the Lines is reporting this (branch of ESPN) and OTL has also taken on some critics for the coverage associated with the Syracuse issues.

Like I said, I've defended ESPN more so than anyone else here...but to have two guys (Tim Kirkjan (sp?) and then another guy) available minutes after 'breaking the news' screams to me they were holding on to this for awhile. That....and during the Hesiman they can keep scrolling the 'Breaking News'. Clever on their end...but smells funny IMO.

The did 2.6 and 3.4 the last two years. That's pretty great for a

Saturday night.

Second, read the sorry. The reporter acknowledged they had to sources (the standard minimum if you're going to run an anonymous story) and Braun's camp released a statement on Saturday acknowledging the test. That made the story publishable.

If anything Braun's camp released the statement tonight to bury the story (because it's the weekend and the Heisman is a big story that ESPN won't preempt. They knew it was coming out and wanted it to break at the most advantageous time for Braun, which this is.

I am also holding out hope for that. But even if it is true, Ryan will always be wrongfully accused for the rest of his career.

I totally disagree, if Braun is exonerated it will be business as usual and this never happened. this is very troubling if the second test was negative. Might be very irresponsible on ESPN's part to run that "partial" story.

Man I hope there's an explanation.

1) Ryan Braun has not failed a PED test. Not until MLB releases a statement will it be official. Is Chris Paul a Laker?

2) Is it possible that he took a PED? Sure, most players probably do. There's still gaps in the testing process. I wouldn't be surprised if any Brewer tested positive.

3) If he is OFFICIALLY guilty of taking a PED then he's not very smart. If he ends up not being officially guilty then I would hope Ryan gets some good legal advice and takes ESPN to task.

If you want examples of guys that have tested "positive" and had their results overturned, a number of players from the Mexican national team tested postive for the steroid clenbutrol this past summer at the Gold Cup. Their suspensions were throw out when they won their argument that they had eaten tainted beef. (Mexican beef operations are notorious for jucing their stock).

I urge those of you who want to really look at this thing with an unbiased eye to learn more about the testing system. I think you may find it eye-opening in terms of the "legal" standards involved.

The did 2.6 and 3.4 the last two years. That's pretty great for a Saturday night. Second, read the sorry. The reporter acknowledged they had to sources (the standard minimum if you're going to run an anonymous story) and Braun's camp released a statement on Saturday acknowledging the test. That made the story publishable. If anything Braun's camp released the statement tonight to bury the story (because it's the weekend and the Heisman is a big story that ESPN won't preempt. They knew it was coming out and wanted it to break at the most advantageous time for Braun, which this is.

I'm trying to read your post assuming some words...but either way...I think it was a nice time for ESPN to post the story. I think the above information is a bit weak since it is Outside the Lines with the news...same group that has been ripped for Syracuse coverage.

Again, if your ratings are a big deal to you (and again, first Saturday without college football in a long time) ESPN can scroll Breaking News on this the whole show. This was the perfect time to release the story. No doubt about it IMO.

Come on guys. Shouldn't we stand behind Braun until we all know for sure the facts of the case here?

I have a glimmer of hope that he can prove his innocence and I want more than anything right now that he can do that. But that doesn't override the shock and disappointment in this moment.

It has almost been a third of my life since I've been this heartbroken in sports. 1990 the Braves traded Dale Murphy, and I grew up a huge Braves fan. I was 12 and I cried reading the news in the paper.

Archived