Brewer Fanatic

Per ESPN: Braun Tests Positive, May Face 50 Game Suspension (Part 1)

wibadgers23

To clarify, something, Braun's T/E *ratio* was probably outside the "normal" range. That doesn't necessarily mean his T count was high. It could be that his E count was low.

I think it is importnat to note that T/E ratios vary from person to person. In fact, the range of "accepatable" T/E ratios has changed over the years. What used to be a "negative" test is now a "positive" test. That's why they often use gas chromatography to further investigate samples which have an anomalous T/E result. Suffice it so say that the GC testing is fairly complex. It is possible to mess it up. There is some "art" to it. All that said, I have no reason to think Braun's sample didn't have exogenous testosterone in it. And if it did, Braun is probably screwed, no matter how it got there.

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It was just news they decided to release at very clever time.
Yeah, if it's been known for a month, wouldn't immediately have been the better time? I'm guessing the writers would have had some kind of emergency meeting to reconsider and change their MVP votes.

I never thought I'd say this, but, now more than ever, I want Prince Fielder on this team.

I need ONE player to attach to. To look at and say, Hey! He'll be here awhile and I can rely on him! And he's not a dirty cheater!

It's not going to happen. But crap. I want Fielder. I don't care if it is an albatross of a contract.

To clarify, something, Braun's T/E *ratio* was probably outside the "normal" range. That doesn't necessarily mean his T count was high. It could be that his E count was low.

I think it is importnat to note that T/E ratios vary from person to person. In fact, the range of "accepatable" T/E ratios has changed over the years. What used to be a "negative" test is now a "positive" test. That's why they often use gas chromatography to further investigate samples which have an anomalous T/E result. Suffice it so say that the GC testing is fairly complex. It is possible to mess it up. There is some "art" to it. All that said, I have no reason to think Braun's sample didn't have exogenous testosterone in it. And if it did, Braun is probably screwed, no matter how it got there.

none of that really excuses synthetic testosterone though.

It was just news they decided to release at very clever time.
Yeah, if it's been known for a month, wouldn't immediately have been the better time? I'm guessing the writers would have had some kind of emergency meeting to reconsider and change their MVP votes.

Well they had to get everything together. This isn't something you run with unless you are positive about your sources. And Saturday night isn't a big ratings night, likely they thought someone else was about to break the story.

The following quote is from an MLB.com article after A-Rod was linked to steroids. We will see if Braun still feels the same.

"It doesn't do me much good to say anything bad about anybody," Braun said earlier in the morning. "It will be interesting to see what he has to say. I will say that I think he's done everything that he should have done [since the story broke] and the best thing he can do is come out, admit to everything and be completely honest. The situation will die a lot faster if he tells the whole truth."

Wow, I'm beyond disappointed!! Guilty, without much doubt unfortunately. If he REALLY didn't do it he would've put his own face in front of a camera instead of making a statement through his spokesperson of how 'he didn't knowingly take anything'. #%#%% BS. This hurts has much as when Molitor left for Toronto.

none of that really excuses synthetic testosterone though.

I'm not trying to excuse or diminish anything. Just trying to provide some info on a subject now which I have some knowledge.

There is a lot that we need to learn yet. If Braun admits to wrongdoing he's dead to me. There are lots of ways that he could be "innocent" in this in the sense that most reasonable people understand, and still be screwed.

They wouldn't release it 25 minutes before a heisman ceremony that's already going to get good ratings because the winner is in doubt. They'd do it on a night when they have poker reruns or something else they could preempt.

I don't think the Heisman show is really a great ratings draw to be honest. And ESPN keeps reporting that Outside the Lines is reporting this (branch of ESPN) and OTL has also taken on some critics for the coverage associated with the Syracuse issues.

Like I said, I've defended ESPN more so than anyone else here...but to have two guys (Tim Kirkjan (sp?) and then another guy) available minutes after 'breaking the news' screams to me they were holding on to this for awhile. That....and during the Hesiman they can keep scrolling the 'Breaking News'. Clever on their end...but smells funny IMO.

if this 50 game deal is upheld baseball should strip him of his MVP and give it to Kemp. I'm totally crushed, not sure I can cheer for the guy anymore.
No they shouldn't. They need to strip Bonds, Giambi, Sosa, Pudge and all those guys as well.

Ah, yeah they should take it away. This is a totally different environment than during the "steroids era". Absolutely sickening.

if this 50 game deal is upheld baseball should strip him of his MVP and give it to Kemp. I'm totally crushed, not sure I can cheer for the guy anymore.
No they shouldn't. They need to strip Bonds, Giambi, Sosa, Pudge and all those guys as well.

Ah, yeah they should take it away. This is a totally different environment than during the "steroids era". Absolutely sickening.

Oh so because "everyone was doing it" = That's Ok?

How many other MVP winners were actually 'caught' in regard to suspensions? If all true, Braun should personally give the award to his friend Matt Kemp.

On somewhat of a side note, the value of the Brewers franchise just took a major hit. No way Mark can be thrilled about this. He should've sold the team and bought the Dodgers.

Archived